Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: HEX Update - More of that Polish

Quote Originally Posted by Gregangel View Post
    Yes until now. But with a steam release and, we hope, lots a new players who never heard about the game until now, will this kind of policy remain appropriate ?
    The policy remains necessary until Hex has reliable and consistent content releases.
    Soon™
    IGN - Mitthrawnuruodo
    One half of the "Frick and Frack of negativity".

There are lots of topic to talk about others than game developpement. Competitive scene, game strategy, lore, community involvment... Lots of stuff but no more dev updates until a 100 % patch ready to launch.

And then : "we are please to announce you the releaase of set x in 3 weeks, the xxxxxx. Until then stay tune for more news about what amazing new stuff come up for you and some awesome cards spoilers ! "
    Last edited by Gregangel; 04-13-2016 at 07:53 AM.

There are lots of topic to talk about others than game developpement. Competitive scene, game strategy, lore, community involvment... Lots of stuff but no more dev updates until a 100 % patch ready to launch.

And then : "we are please to announce you the releaase of set x in 3 weeks, the xxxxxx. Until then stay tune for more news about what amazing new stuff come up for you and some awesome cards spoilers ! "
    Errr, they've tried to do exactly that more than a few times and after the three weeks we don't hear anything. Set 3. PvE. Set 4.

No they never did that. It was more like : we are close to a release date , we have some bug/design matter to deal with yet but we hope a release around xxxx.

I said no more dev update until a 100 % ready patch . no more dev work needed, just press the button. And then 3 week of teasing.

And so no more room for whining
    Last edited by Gregangel; 04-13-2016 at 08:16 AM.

Hex seems to be surviving on hope. Sparce communication lets the flame die.

There are lots of topic to talk about others than game developpement. Competitive scene, game strategy, lore, community involvment... "
    I don't think there is much to say about those things. The competitive scene is done for the moment as there is nothing to play for. The majority of strategy has been covered with the set being out for 9 months. Majority of people are not really interested in lore, not sure what there is to discuss on the last point as the community is involved in this thread and you don't seem to like that.

No they never did that. It was more like : we are close to a release date , we have some bug/design matter to deal with yet but we hope a release around xxxx.
    You are 100% incorrect.

Some folks in this thread would do well to chill out about set 4. HexEnt loses money every month that the new set isn't out, no amount of forum whining is going to give them more of an incentive to ship it. And there is no doubt they are heavily focused on it.

If there is one thing can be said, is that continuing communication with us customers is very valuable. I'm not even a fan of spoiler season, but the fact that it came and effectively ended is really not good. It would be wise to continue feeding spoilers even if they were not planned, to help pacify the pitchfork wielders.

Quote Originally Posted by bootlace View Post
    What the problem boils down to is there is no transparency into what you guys are doing and what is leading to these delays. I think most people following the Invitational were thinking that bug squashing was all that was left and release only rested on that being taken care of. Now thanks to some tidbits in this thread we've essentially found out that bugs aren't really whats holding things back. Piecing together different bits of info, it seems the Steam release is what is holding it back.

If you straight up communicated to the players that Set 4 release would be delayed because of the Steam launch, and given some good reasons as to why this is the order in which you are prioritizing things (which I'm sure there are) then people would have been much more understanding..not only for the fact that you're being upfront and honest but also because there's an actual external reason beyond the team's normal duties for the delay. Heck maybe Cory was even right about Set 4 being ready for release in Early April and the only thing that prevented it from happening was the Steam news...that bit of information alone would inspire some more confidence.

Instead what we got were threads where people are asking all confused which is coming first (Steam or Set 4), then some tidbits of information from Colin suggesting the Steam timeline caught you guys abit off-guard, and now pretty much confirmation in this thread that indeed this is what seems to be transpiring.

TLDR: In the end we have, we are, or we will sort of find out what happened so instead of keeping the players in the dark guessing/confused/frustrated/angry/helpless at what is going - I really think you should have just come out and explained a bit what this reshuffling so close to Set 4 release is about.
    No company has full transparency. I believe we're more open than most, and something I've tried to touch on is that it's difficult to satisfy everyone. We had people in this thread ranging from the position that we could end all Friday updates to having the position that we should share financials. From your posts, I understand that you think we should be far more transparent than we are. I'm not sure we'll ever be able to hit exactly where you as an individual would find ideal in our messaging, but we-- when fully staffed, at least-- strive for some hope of open channels of discussion, which has been happening in this thread over the past few days.

Earlier, you brought up a potential bug list and countdown, and I outlined even a bug countdown list is complicated and requires great context. Even if you, as Bootlace, are capable of understanding the complexities of the development process, that's an extremely high level of information that can't be expected of everyone. If a delay is even more complicated than a bug list, it would take a great deal of time investment on our part to create a thorough enough explanation of all the factors, their weight, and what it all means. And the matrix of factors could easily change day to day; in the past, it certainly has. That means even more messages going out and all the troubles that come with this approach, of which there are many. And ultimately, what does it result in? The feature doesn't launch any earlier. You can't take action based on that information either. The handful of high-information people (who have likely worked in games) understand the conversation, but most are still left with a flawed or incomplete picture of what's happened.

Real quick, I also wanted to address the topic of the Spectral Acorn. Once we declare that we're preparing a statement, we are now on a clock to deliver that statement. Again, we deliver content much, much faster upon completion of that content than your standard video game. If I had three months between a feature's completion and launch, sure, I could likely tell you dates. Games as a whole don't even really do that, though. Still, I don't have three months. And again, it doesn't exist in a vacuum. If we move the Spectral Acorn around in development or the launch schedule, suddenly we're "late" by pushing our own announcement when we didn't even have a guaranteed date to begin with. This, in a nutshell, is the basic trap we at HEX set for ourselves again and again. You'll see a Spectral Acorn statement close to its release, perhaps upon its release. In general, that's usually how messaging works and what you can expect with any feature.

To close, I want to say that I understand your frustration. We've discussed internally as a team which pain points we'll try to avoid in the future. I appreciate that you've been very clear and constructive with your posts, and trust that we've taken them in.
    Please tweet me @HEXWilliam for a reliable, quick response. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaqattaq View Post
    This, in a nutshell, is the basic trap we at HEX set for ourselves again and again.
    The puns!
    Hope you guys are doing well, and the internal schedules are being met. Good luck!
    Seems like a lot more is riding on set4 release than originally anticipated.