Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: HEX Update - More of that Polish

Quote Originally Posted by Shaqattaq View Post
    This is a sacrifice we make in order to deliver content to you as soon as possible. We don't have the same incubation time that other video games have where their content is done baking months in advance of even announcement, much less actual implementation. We believe players would rather have the features as soon as they're ready. If there's a point of conflict there, it's how early we announce these features (or discuss them) in order to satisfy player requests compared to when we're actually ready to release them.
    I Honestly think you should bake it in advance and announce it ONLY once it ready.. not ready don't talk about it. It saves so much time and problems. .. If the set is ready the 15th of april, announce it on a friday update with a CONCRETE date + some 2 weeks preview (to create the hype) ..
    1- Date stays firm
    2- People don't complain
    3- You don,t have to explain a million times

Right now, I understand that you guys like to announce things as they are coming up. But please don't. At this stage, its just creating a bad reputation for you guys. I was sure you would not repeat the same mistake but you did. ...

Don't say you have a cake ready to eat when its still not in the oven..... your oven might break.

Quote Originally Posted by superdax View Post
    I Honestly think you should bake it in advance and announce it ONLY once it ready.. not ready don't talk about it. It saves so much time and problems. .. If the set is ready the 15th of april, announce it on a friday update with a CONCRETE date + some 2 weeks preview (to create the hype) ..
    1- Date stays firm
    2- People don't complain

Right now, I understand that you guys like to announce things as they are coming up. But please don't. At this stage, its just creating a bad reputation for you guys. I was sure you would not repeat the same mistake but you did. ...

Don't say you have a cake ready to eat when its still not in the oven..... your oven might break.
    To be fair, if there isn't some rough timeline or rough projection people will also complain...maybe more. Imagine not having had ANY spoiler or idea how close/far off the set is. Cory's 'early April' statement was at least something and the only thing that might have been better is making that projection even more broad. For example "early-to-mid Q2" would have had the same upside (early April) but would have given until Mid may until people really started flipping out.

Quote Originally Posted by magic_gazz View Post
    Do you agree that not having a release date now looks really bad?

Early April can really only be counted as any day up to and including the 14 (at a push), I don't see a surprise launch in the next couple of days so it seems like that is not happening.

People are rapidly losing faith in the company to be able to produce content in any sort of decent time frame. Every day and week that goes by is just more frustration for people that there is a great game that could possibly fail (something no one wants).

The problem with more delays on this set is it just makes it feel like there is no chance of a regular release schedule. If it takes 9-10 months between set 3 and 4, is there really any hope of set 5 taking 4-5 months? Hard to believe.

I don't know what the solution is but something drastic needs to happen to keep players happy and get things moving a lot quicker on the back end.
    Unless I'm misremembering I think they already confirmed that they don't expect to hit that timeline with the next two sets.

Quote Originally Posted by bootlace View Post
    To be fair, if there isn't some rough timeline or rough projection people will also complain...maybe more. Imagine not having had ANY spoiler or idea how close/far off the set is. Cory's 'early April' statement was at least something and the only thing that might have been better is making that projection even more broad. For example "early-to-mid Q2" would have had the same upside (early April) but would have given until Mid may until people really started flipping out.
    Honestly, Cory said beginning of april and there was already people complaining about the release date at the last week of march. People just complain no matter what BUT you don't create a bad reputation.

They will have to eventually have to make sets faster then they release them to get a heads up and to come up with some scheduling. At least 1 set ahead. Right now its just bad for everyone

Quote Originally Posted by bofedy View Post
    This to me this is bad all it says is we dont know when stuff will be done and wont be held to a time line. wich is bad as we know sets should be 3-4month at most all of us waiting around for new set 9 + months >_> have no proof other than hex saying we want sets to be quicker just take ower word with no proof that things are geting beter. if this was any other game i dont know how i can justify the wait and a company that cant or wont be held to deadlines.

Tell me this if you cant give dates and keep to them why should we trust that things are going to get beter?

i love the game to bits and you are improving the game its just the timeline is beyond pathetic with no proof its geting beter.
    I can't give you a date today. That doesn't mean I can never give you a date. It just means today, at this moment, it wouldn't be responsible to give you a date. What you're asking for is not just to announce a release date, but to 100% guarantee that we hit that date. Of course we have a general idea of when it's going to release. But, again, it's far more respectful of players and their time to give them a date when we're confident in it and then have players plan around that date. We understand that players time is valuable and they may arrange their schedule to experience Primal Dawn as soon as it releases. That's why we are only going to give a date when we're confident in it.

It is critical to stop this trap that we as a game company set for ourselves. We often announce something in order to satisfy some request for information, and we do so before we're confident in that feature's release date. Now we've set expectations for the playerbase that aren't completely reliable, so when we don't hit that date suddenly we look unreliable when we should've just never announced anything until we were ready. As for why we instead don't give pieces of information before we're ready with caveats and qualifiers and other conditions, you can look to my post on page 3.

Things are definitely getting better. We were able to deliver Chapter 1 to critical acclaim and great player response. We're preparing to launch a new set. HEX is growing, we just pulled off a $100K tournament series, and we continue to improve so much of the player experience. This one axis of measurement is important, but it does not define the game as a whole.

As for the set cadence, as I said before I'd rather show you that we've become better at something and then discuss the success than promise you. You can take my word that at this time, our top focus is hitting our internal desired dates for content releases such as the PVP set after Primal Dawn. I don't want to speak beyond that because, again, I'd rather prove it to you and gain credibility through action than actually throw more words at it.
    Last edited by Shaqattaq; 04-11-2016 at 02:05 PM.
    Please tweet me @HEXWilliam for a reliable, quick response. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by superdax View Post
    1- Date stays firm
    2- People don't complain

I fundamentally agree with this, but as a Kickstarter project that wants to be as open as possible, we tend to have a wider range of what we discuss and when. Some players, many in this thread, would disagree with this approach and say we're not being communicative. This approach would also lend itself to additional time between feature completion and launch that we experience now.
    Last edited by Shaqattaq; 04-11-2016 at 02:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bootlace View Post
    Yes, it was something that while we believed at the time we'd hit that date, clearly it's created an expectation that we're going to miss (assuming one believes early April is 1st through the 15th). In this, at that time we satisfied the player's desire for information and we gave the best information we could. It wasn't wrong to announce this at the time, as that's part of being open and communicative. But, at the same time, this is part of the trap we as the HEX devs set for ourselves and where some of the player frustration is coming from.

I agree that communication with any player base is very complex and difficult to manage. Unfortunately Hex's communications has been a shambles from the very beginning.

I have learned how to interpret Cory's timelines pretty accurately after years of training (guide can be found in a previous topic), but for the general public, they probably do more harm than good. The bigger problem is, those overly-rosy guesstimates are all the community really gets.

Hex simply needs a individual that is charismatic, aggressive, and well versed in communication strategy and marketing both internally and externally to Hex (I.E. Pulling useful information out of designers and engineers instead of just relaying whatever they overhear). I have really liked our community managers to date, but Hex has largely been living on good faith regarding their project communications while banking on the fact that they'll have it all figured out when it really matters...

Well launching on steam and dropping all pre-launch indications is a pretty good demarcation of "it really mattering", yet Hex doesn't seem any closer to having a grasp of how to handle development of release information. We repeatedly hear reasons why community brow-beating teaches HXE to say even less as the reasoning why there is so little information, but that is in no way acceptable.

There is an appropriate way to keep your player base engaged in the development process, especially when you are officially out of the sausage factory, but it takes a professional to do it.
    1x GK Keep - Dekroma

High Tomb Lord
    Frankly Hex may be slow but what can you do? They've told us numerous times that they have a very small group. A small group of dedicated designers building the most innovative and complex online card game is going to take time.. It's not like Hex/Crypt is Square Enix where they talk about Kingdom Hearts and then focus every resource they have to make FF15 and five remakes of older games and never bring up Kingdom Hearts 3.

Now you can call me a kissass suck up whatever but I been around since Hex 'Ninja Open Beta'ed so I know a few thing about how Hex works and I admit I left for like two months maybe and then came back to read a ton of spoilers regarding Primal Dawn. In fact Hex loved my undying faith in them for Elf Warlocks and Warlock class in general they let me spoil Thorntwister. So why I'm not very versed in many aspects of Hex I do agree that they should keep things to themselves in regard of release dates so they can release them 'on time' instead of saying "Primal Dawn is coming April 21st!!" and then everyone taking a week off to buy and test every card in the set and it turns out it's not happening..

So isn't it a better use of their time to design and text Primal amongst themselves then talking about release dates? Everyone seems to complain harshly then praise Hex whenever x comes out so I think we should just talk about cards spoiled stead of biting Hex head off.
    Quote Originally Posted by NOBLERooster
    Ozawa You Lore Hound!
    IGN: OzawaWanderer

http://i.imgur.com/fro8laQ.png

Here's an idea:

Features and content can and should be two different silos. Content should never be held back by feature development

You have PVE and PVP content in game and it's functioning. As much as I want guilds in I understand that they arn't anywhere close to be in game. At this point who cares about a timeline it's been almost 10 months since set 3 was released. I don't care about quality of life improvements if the game I'm playing since alpha is boring me to tears. I have a free draft that I don't even want to use.

If you arn't doing that look to where you can optimize your content release schedule. If this is your optimized content release schedule then well Hex is in real trouble.

As much as I would love features stop neglecting your current fan-base to create features for players who arn't even in game yet. That my friend is irresponsible.
    Last edited by Renquist; 04-11-2016 at 02:20 PM.