Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: HEX Update - More of that Polish

This is something just about every game developer struggles with. This is not unique to Hex Entertainment. It's not easy work. New bugs are often spawned while squashing old bugs. It's often a losing battle and they're fighting until it's good to release. Companies that prioritize a fixed date over the quality of their product produce shit products. Just look at how many unplayable titles have come out in recent years.

The devs have no interest in holding anything back once it's ready. The problem is, this is not something anybody can accurately forecast ahead of time unlike many careers. This is not something someone can work 22 hour days to guarantee quality work during a last minute crunch time because no one can possibly know how many man-hours a project like this will ultimately take.

Think about it. The devs can't win until everyone realizes what is really involved. They aren't taking longer for the sake of taking longer. They are taking their time in order to deliver their best product. Devs aren't withholding information for the purpose of trolling the player base. If devs say that bug fixing is what is holding up the product... let's say they say that five days straight. People WILL come out and accuse the devs of being incompetent while not realizing what is really at play.

Quote Originally Posted by Harwinne View Post
    This is something just about every game developer struggles with. This is not unique to Hex Entertainment. It's not easy work. New bugs are often spawned while squashing old bugs. It's often a losing battle and they're fighting until it's good to release. Companies that prioritize a fixed date over the quality of their product produce shit products. Just look at how many unplayable titles have come out in recent years.

The devs have no interest in holding anything back once it's ready. The problem is, this is not something anybody can accurately forecast ahead of time unlike many careers. This is not something someone can work 22 hour days to guarantee quality work during a last minute crunch time because no one can possibly know how many man-hours a project like this will ultimately take.

Think about it. The devs can't win until everyone realizes what is really involved. They aren't taking longer for the sake of taking longer. They are taking their time in order to deliver their best product. Devs aren't withholding information for the purpose of trolling the player base. If devs say that bug fixing is what is holding up the product... let's say they say that five days straight. People WILL come out and accuse the devs of being incompetent while not realizing what is really at play.
    Most people here have some intelligence (I would like to think) and if you say something people will tend to believe it. If you say stuff that doesn't add up though that's when people start to ask questions.

Months ago we were told set 4 was done and they were just finalising art. Then there was a working demo at the 100k. Then we are told early april. All these things are positive and follow a sensible progression.

When we are now told "soon" and "we don't have a date" you have to wonder what went wrong.

I think the truth of it really is they have been focusing on other stuff and not putting the full force behind getting set 4 out the door. They don't really want to come out and say this as it is a bit of a slap in the face to the people who have been here from the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by magic_gazz View Post
    Most people here have some intelligence (I would like to think) and if you say something people will tend to believe it. If you say stuff that doesn't add up though that's when people start to ask questions.

Months ago we were told set 4 was done and they were just finalising art. Then there was a working demo at the 100k. Then we are told early april. All these things are positive and follow a sensible progression.

When we are now told "soon" and "we don't have a date" you have to wonder what went wrong.

I think the truth of it really is they have been focusing on other stuff and not putting the full force behind getting set 4 out the door. They don't really want to come out and say this as it is a bit of a slap in the face to the people who have been here from the beginning.
    Yeah, I agree with this, to add to it, this sort of snafu has been a very dependable and frustrating pattern with Hex and people are a bit worried about that pattern extending to the Steam release.

Quote Originally Posted by fido_one View Post
    This kinds of goes with my primary point which is 'saying there is no news can be news enough.' I can't tell you how many times I felt like an idiot with this game because I cleared up something in my schedule for a release or a date only to have that date approach [and sometimes pass] with zero notification of what was going on. The entirety of my saltiness over such matters could have been alleviated with a 'hey, that date? We're no longer confident we can make that date anymore, more news to come.' <- you did this once and it was great. Only once though. I can't remember what it was, maybe set 3? I think some message of 'we're re-evaluating the release of set 4, so it may not be the start of April due to other things which we are excited to tell you about' could have come a week ago. Then when the Steam news hit, it would seem less out of the blue, and could be celebrated a little bit more rather than being viewed with so much suspicion (which it still would be, just less so).
    Sure, I get that missing dates can be frustrating. Steam was a challenge behind the scenes. It's not exactly a feature, and as some have seen here there were parts of the HEX community that responded to it negatively. We want people to be excited that HEX is on Steam, but having people on Steam does cost us. Plus, this is all happening while some people were out of the office and we have a position to fill.

Speaking of-- if you've worked in developer to publisher communications, digital marketing, social media strategy development, and community engagement, we have a job for you! https://www.hextcg.com/careers/job-o...unity-manager/
    Please tweet me @HEXWilliam for a reliable, quick response. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaqattaq View Post
    Speaking of-- if you've worked in developer to publisher communications, digital marketing, social media strategy development, and community engagement, we have a job for you! https://www.hextcg.com/careers/job-o...unity-manager/
    Ah, congrats on the posting! I love you guys too much to screw up that position for you and/or have you endure me in person. I'm actually crap at the marketing part myself, so much so the first thing I have done in my positions is find someone on point that is better than I to manage marketing and/or B2C stuff, which is generally anyone else in the room.

Does that make me hypocritical in my comments and advice? Hell yes. That's why I was in upper level management all those years.

Sure, I get that missing dates can be frustrating. Steam was a challenge behind the scenes. It's not exactly a feature, and as some have seen here there were parts of the HEX community that responded to it negatively. We want people to be excited that HEX is on Steam, but having people on Steam does cost us. Plus, this is all happening while some people were out of the office and we have a position to fill.

I'm assuming that job is in house, correct? If remote, I'll pass it on to a few people I know...

Quote Originally Posted by phoix View Post
    Unless I'm misremembering I think they already confirmed that they don't expect to hit that timeline with the next two sets.
    then they honestly might as well kiss this game goodbye tbh.

Yea, its pretty rough to have this opening right now. I really do feel for you guys. There seems to be a strong push in a direction come hell or high water. Just gotta get the evangelical pants on.
    1x GK Keep - Dekroma

Honestly, I don't know who planned this steam release window, but knowing what is happening with your direct competition, I feel like this was a drastic oversight. You have a situation where one of your competitors for viewership just released a revisiting of arguably their most popular set and it is coming soon to their digital platform. On the other hand, you have their direct digital-space competitor about to release their next big set, including huge sweeping format changes, in two weeks, as well as their next big franchise in four.

I can understand the bugs, delays, and uh-oh what happened here moments popping up and delaying something. I know that the back-end of PvE, changing base rule-sets, and art issues have caused a larger majority of the delays. I can say that I get it. What I don't understand, however, is how much longer this can go when your competition is putting out sets at a clip of 3 months or less with 20+ years more cards to have to bug test for and sniff out. I am not saying we should be at a point that those guys are, but it sure looks bad to hear that it is taking us 3x the time of the other guy's longest set release window.

This isn't a "I quit" post or a "I am not playing this game until X" post, because realistically, I think this game is better at digital-space card gaming than the other options by a mile. And seeing/hearing these streams and players from that other game really pushing to play this game gives me hope that Hex will grow substantially in this calendar year. But how long do you think that this healthy growth will keep and not revert to us hardcore fans with 9-12 month gaps in new set drops. I am also not asking for a "We are going to better, you will see speech" either, because I don't care about words, I care about actions, and actions are going to speak to these players more than anything anyone here, including me, can say.

I am not worried about the community if Set 4 is another 3-4 weeks out, we have already waited something like 36 weeks for it already, this is a drop in the bucket, nor am I worried that people won't be complaining about wait times once they are off the races drafting/building/sealeding Primal Dawn until they pass out at their desks with auto-draft going. What I am worried about is the hit that will come to the optics of HexEnt when/if another bad delay happens (I am looking at you raids/multiplayer) and that this perceived lack of communication starts the death knell of a game that I want to go as long as the other guy.

Rock League Champion
    The problem with the future release information for new sets wont be solved with not spoiling release date windows, just because the community knows that new sets are planned to be released in 3-4 month cycles... so if no new major content hits for 5-6+ month in future, the rant will start over and over again... thats why not posting information about releases even with delay or reasons for delays are less worse than post nothing or “when its done“ stuff.

Also the friday update isnt that important, just move it to monthly updates with some development information, less often, but more insight.

Also the majority of the ppl who complain are in love with hex, this game is just too good, otherwise noone would care about delays and stuff.

go hex
    Austrian Kickstarter & Slacker Backer | IGN: Cernz

-=] Dont mess with the bull, you gonna get the horn [=-