Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: HEX Update - More of that Polish

Quote Originally Posted by Ducklett View Post
    Honestly, I don't know who planned this steam release window, but knowing what is happening with your direct competition, I feel like this was a drastic oversight. You have a situation where one of your competitors for viewership just released a revisiting of arguably their most popular set and it is coming soon to their digital platform. On the other hand, you have their direct digital-space competitor about to release their next big set, including huge sweeping format changes, in two weeks, as well as their next big franchise in four.

I can understand the bugs, delays, and uh-oh what happened here moments popping up and delaying something. I know that the back-end of PvE, changing base rule-sets, and art issues have caused a larger majority of the delays. I can say that I get it. What I don't understand, however, is how much longer this can go when your competition is putting out sets at a clip of 3 months or less with 20+ years more cards to have to bug test for and sniff out. I am not saying we should be at a point that those guys are, but it sure looks bad to hear that it is taking us 3x the time of the other guy's longest set release window.

This isn't a "I quit" post or a "I am not playing this game until X" post, because realistically, I think this game is better at digital-space card gaming than the other options by a mile. And seeing/hearing these streams and players from that other game really pushing to play this game gives me hope that Hex will grow substantially in this calendar year. But how long do you think that this healthy growth will keep and not revert to us hardcore fans with 9-12 month gaps in new set drops. I am also not asking for a "We are going to better, you will see speech" either, because I don't care about words, I care about actions, and actions are going to speak to these players more than anything anyone here, including me, can say.

I am not worried about the community if Set 4 is another 3-4 weeks out, we have already waited something like 36 weeks for it already, this is a drop in the bucket, nor am I worried that people won't be complaining about wait times once they are off the races drafting/building/sealeding Primal Dawn until they pass out at their desks with auto-draft going. What I am worried about is the hit that will come to the optics of HexEnt when/if another bad delay happens (I am looking at you raids/multiplayer) and that this perceived lack of communication starts the death knell of a game that I want to go as long as the other guy.
    They already said (or at least implied) that they did not expect to get accepted to steam this quickly and that they were caught by surprise. From what they have said they did not expect this to happen any time soon.

It is my personal belief (in other words, my own assumption) that this is one of the reasons set 4 is taking longer as they had to get to work preparing to connect to steam ahead of what they had originally planned. Of course I could be totally off base here, I just wanted to point out that this was not apparently planned to happen this month.

They have already said that this long of a delay in set releases is no more acceptable to them than it is to us and will be a major focus for them on future sets. Corey did say they don't expect they will likely hit their goal of a new set every 4 months for at least another 2 sets but that they should get closer and closer on each one.

On a quick note, it appears as though the Steam release date has changed from April 12th to April 19th. Possible Primal Dawn release date?
    Grand King | Netdecker Extraordinaire | Collector

Quote Originally Posted by sukebe View Post
    Corey did say they don't expect they will likely hit their goal of a new set every 4 months for at least another 2 sets ...
    Yeh, set 5 early 2017. xD

Quote Originally Posted by XyZyddious View Post
    On a quick note, it appears as though the Steam release date has changed from April 12th to April 19th. Possible Primal Dawn release date?
    Not a chance. Releasing set 4 at the same time as steam launch would be awful. They need to be a week or two apart at least.

Gigantisaur
    Quote Originally Posted by sukebe View Post

[snip]

It is my personal belief (in other words, my own assumption) that this is one of the reasons set 4 is taking longer as they had to get to work preparing to connect to steam ahead of what they had originally planned. Of course I could be totally off base here, I just wanted to point out that this was not apparently planned to happen this month.
    If this is the case, and I believe it is too, then why not come out and be honest and tell us all? When Chris broke the news about the memory leak causing the Set 3 delay, everyone applauded the honesty and information (one of the greatest posts ever btw). I firmly believe the same thing would happen here and people would be happy to just know what's going on. I know there are posts further up about the level of "infinite information" that a community wants, and I get that, but some level of explanation is healthy in this case I believe.

Going from "early April", to "nearly done" to "soon" to "we can't give a release date yet" etc etc with no real reasoning is why people are up in arms (in the best possible way of course -- as ever, this community rocks for its maturity).

I'm certainly not going anywhere in terms of abandonment as I love HEX to pieces. But at the moment my play time is being filled with other games (and look, I'm even going to be honest and say that I've been playing a bit of Magic Duels because of the Oath/SOI sets that just released -- I'm not necessarily proud of that, but it does serve to make a point, though of course it goes without saying that Duels is a far far far far inferior game and is riddled with some crippling bugs/design decisions atm). I am DESPERATE to get into set 4 draft and sealed. I cannot wait to be throwing money at you guys for another amazing set and for those tingles of cracking open a sealed pool and seeing what wonders it holds and feeling my collection grow with each packs, yada yada.

Quote Originally Posted by Cernz View Post
    Also the majority of the ppl who complain are in love with hex, this game is just too good, otherwise noone would care about delays and stuff.

go hex
    As critical as I can be, Hex is the 2nd longest game I've continually played with WoW being the first. That's pretty impressive, but telling us in January set 4 was practically finished and 3 months later here we are... it's pretty unacceptable. Knightofeffect pretty much summed that up though. I'm not sure less communication because people will interpret it how they will is the answer either. If you can't hit a 2 week release date announcement, which is why I think set 4 won't drop in April now, or not be confident enough to give a release date longer than 4 days before the launch then your problem isn't communication.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaqattaq View Post
    Yes, it was something that while we believed at the time we'd hit that date, clearly it's created an expectation that we're going to miss (assuming one believes early April is 1st through the 15th).
    Bolding by me.

Not to play gotcha or be pedantic, Shaq, but what exactly would your definition of "early April" be? And is it called "assuming" when you base your definition of "early April" on the accepted definitions of "early" and "April" as well as the conventions of using the adjective "early" in front of the noun "April" as they are traditionally used in English?

This, right here, is my least favorite part of Hex's communication. The "oh, you thought words had meaning? how dare you believe that and hold us to it?" style of communication. It's something that was largely (if not totally) absent when Phenteo was around and it's something I'm not thrilled to see a return of.

Reading updates has become so fast. You can just check the forums/Reddit to see if the set 4 release was announced and if the answer is no you don't even need to waste time reading the update and can go back to playing other games.
    Soon™
    IGN - Mitthrawnuruodo
    One half of the "Frick and Frack of negativity".

Quote Originally Posted by dylannorthrup View Post
    Bolding by me.

Not to play gotcha or be pedantic, Shaq, but what exactly would your definition of "early April" be? And is it called "assuming" when you base your definition of "early April" on the accepted definitions of "early" and "April" as well as the conventions of using the adjective "early" in front of the noun "April" as they are traditionally used in English?

This, right here, is my least favorite part of Hex's communication. The "oh, you thought words had meaning? how dare you believe that and hold us to it?" style of communication. It's something that was largely (if not totally) absent when Phenteo was around and it's something I'm not thrilled to see a return of.
    Yeah, 'early April' can be interpreted to mean April 1-10th, 'mid april' 11-20th, 'late April' 20th-30th. I don't think anyone calls 'April 15th' early April to be honest, and if HexEnt wanted to have that window they would have said 'first half of April'.

Phenteo or no Phenteo, I just don't understand why there wasn't a message somewhere from someone saying 'looks like we are going to miss the early April time frame, we'll update you as soon as we figure out a new date' <- I think a lot of our frustration is we don't even get those messages. I know we gripe a lot, but it's because we all care a tremendous amount about the game. That will not be the case with Steam, and it will be difficult or impossible to undue that sort of easily preventable bad karma.

I think this conversation is getting oddly hung up on what "early April" means. That's why I hope players will wait for an official date. There's no confusion there.
    Please tweet me @HEXWilliam for a reliable, quick response. Thank you.

Regardless of whatever early April means it definitely doesn't mean anything after Friday if we don't get a date announcement. Patience is one thing but at this point anyone left with patience is white knighting or should be up for sainthood