Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which should/will come first? Set 4 or Steam release?

@Quantius 1. What do you want them to do pull back the sets already released? This is standard for TCG's everyone who joins not at the very start is behind this is why sets rotate so that you will only be behind by a few at any given time.

2.It was unplayable during prime time for a few days again standard online game thing these days servers never hold up they just don't.

3. Information is easy to give and easy to find if anything releasing right on the edge of a new set is the best that set wont rotate for the longest time possible and its absolutely that set you should get.
    Member of The Unnamed Council - the Hex TCG PvE Guild
    Twice as nice as i seem and ten times as friendly.

For those worried about releasing to Steam full stop I understand the fears however, this in my opinion is the absolute best time to do it. It ABSOLUTELY needs to be next to a set release so the alternative would be to wait till set 5 which would be to long in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Antfunk View Post
    I went and retread the post to be sure. They don't say which is coming first, just that both are soon.
    So you are correct it just said they had a polish and steam coming up and I read a bit to much into it. Sorry for the confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Antfunk View Post
    For those worried about releasing to Steam full stop I understand the fears however, this in my opinion is the absolute best time to do it. It ABSOLUTELY needs to be next to a set release so the alternative would be to wait till set 5 which would be to long in my opinion.
    Agreed. Get old players back and make the game busy again as you introduce it to steam so tournaments are firing and veterans are guiding noobz into the community. Whatever comes first, it should be a quick one-two punch.

Quote Originally Posted by wolzarg View Post
    @Quantius 1. What do you want them to do pull back the sets already released? This is standard for TCG's everyone who joins not at the very start is behind this is why sets rotate so that you will only be behind by a few at any given time.

2.It was unplayable during prime time for a few days again standard online game thing these days servers never hold up they just don't.

3. Information is easy to give and easy to find if anything releasing right on the edge of a new set is the best that set wont rotate for the longest time possible and its absolutely that set you should get.
    1. No. That's silly. I'm talking about a series of a dumb release decisions. Yes, it is normal for new people to be behind, but it's not standard for TCG's to release 3 sets deep. What's done is done though.

2. It was unplayable for almost 2 weeks and it wasn't just prime time, unless all the time was prime time. Maybe you had a better experience, but I had pretty unbearable lag regardless of when I played. Yes, it is normal with online games, but that's not the point. The point is that they decided to leave beta and officially launch. The entire point of beta is to bug and stress test. They should have left it in beta for a couple week and then had the official launch sans problems. New players wouldn't have known or cared if the game launched 2 weeks later (it was new to them either way), but many of them did care about their experience with the game. HEX lost new players during this time.

3. New set isn't inherently the best set to get cards from, it just has greater longevity. And while I have no doubt many questions will be asked and many will be answered, it doesn't really change that any new player will be facing a mountain of information to overcome. Hopping into a new card game that you've never played (or possibly never played a similar one), can be tough and can discourage potential new players. Again, this is a moot point because what's done is done, there's no going back I'm just pointing out that these decisions have been detrimental to the game.

So I honestly don't think what I'm saying is that crazy. Release set 4 first, spend a few weeks (or less) killing bugs and then release on Steam. It will provide the best experience for new players.

High Tomb Lord
    I go for Half Life 3! :P
    -----------------------------------------
    Grand King + Pro Player + Collector + King

Steam should release first.

The bugs won't drive people from the game, it will make them aware of the games excellent support system, hopefully for reimbursements.

Having the steam community also able to participate in a new set release is going to be great for the old community of players, and new steam players alike due to hugely decreased queue times, and celebration cards that can be obtained for all, greatly stretching new "investors" dollars.

My guess is they will release with Set 3 still in place. Reason is, it is stable and tested and they can sell set 3 to new players.
    Gives them time to polish Set 4 and then again sell this stuff a few weeks later.

Quote Originally Posted by nicosharp View Post
    The bugs won't drive people from the game, it will make them aware of the games excellent support system, hopefully for reimbursements.
    I have to disagree, if a bug generates good will, there are so many permutations to get there and HexEnt ultimately takes a loss. For new players encountering a bug on set 4 will probably be right after they dumped plat into the game for the first time, so their first experience will be heightened.

There are just WAY too many things to fall into place for them to leave with a rosy experience after a bug on their first few tournaments:

A) New player has to be aware that there is support and that support is in the habit reimbursing
    A1) New player has to be okay with registering at support.hextcg.com, the extra step is not going to make them happy (yes, they'll do it at some point, but let's get them hooked first)
    B) Support has to respond ASAP for new players
    B1) 24 hour response time for new steam players won't cut it
    B1A) With the influx of new players, response time will probably be well over 24 hours
    B1B) With new set, response time will probably be well over 24 hours
    C) Rule confusion for a new set will confuse things
    C1) Rule confusion for new players will already be a support challenge
    C2) Veteran players, not being used to set 4, won't be able to lend much support to new players as they will be learning new rule set as well
    D) HexEnt takes a loss with each reimbursement. Better to take a loss on an incentive designed to draw in and keep a player than saving face.

List goes on. The one-two steam/set 4 is going to be extraordinarily difficult. Support is going to be slammed, people will complain like a son-of-a-gun when they anxiously await support on their loss of plat, and in that interim, they'll be spamming the Steam community with their unhappiness.

Hopefully HexEnt is preparing for it, but release of set 4 bugs isn't how they should be presenting their excellent support structure to one of the most fickle communities on the planet.

Not saying Steam shouldn't be released first, just that going to support is generally a net negative for the game, not a net positive, regardless of how awesome support is.
    Last edited by fido_one; 04-11-2016 at 08:29 AM.

Regarding support and the new wall of text (which is great, not knocking it) for tournament descriptions:

Maybe add at the end of each tournament description 'if you feel you have experienced a bug in this tournament that has affected play, please submit a ticket at support.hextcg.com.'