Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which should/will come first? Set 4 or Steam release?

Which should/will come first? Set 4 or Steam release?

Just wondering what people's thoughts are on this. I really hope that set 4 comes first. I believe that that Steam was advertised as 12th April but now it just says April?

Reason I think it should be this way round is I think it could be disastrous otherwise for many reasons a few being:

1. Inevitable server melt from set 4 release play and new players. I know they say that they are prepared for it but some the best games in the world have issues on major content releases. I feel that Steam several days or a maybe a week after would be much smoother.

2. It would be terrible for new players to join and see slow tournament firing times or as is often the case lots of byes as people are rare drafting at the moment. They may not even know what Bye means and cry bug and sitting around for around an hour or even more as you can get a double bye is not a fun experience. Yes they will get freebies but I am sure that is not what they will take away from the experience even if they wait around for their match to start as they may have no understanding as to why their match did not fire, although one would hope they query in chat.

3. Will allow the opportunity to patch any game breaking bugs from the set 4 release.

I'm sure there are many other reasons that people can think of. Those three are major ones that I think warrant concern for the releases happening in such an order.

Personally I could see a set 4 release this Tuesday or the following with perhaps a weekend Steam release . I do believe that Set 4 is genuinely very close.

Set 4 should be first for the reason you said, releasing a set with bugs after the steam launch would be very bad for the game.

Who knows what order they are doing it in though as all we seem too hear is "soon".

Rock League Champion
    S4 ofc
    Austrian Kickstarter & Slacker Backer | IGN: Cernz

-=] Dont mess with the bull, you gonna get the horn [=-

So did the release date on Steam change? I am hoping that is due to wanting to get set 4 out first. I don't think releasing both at exactly the same time is a good idea either although they could opt to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by magic_gazz View Post
    Set 4 should be first for the reason you said, releasing a set with bugs after the steam launch would be very bad for the game.

Who knows what order they are doing it in though as all we seem too hear is "soon".
    THIS, first impressions matter and I don't believe in a bug free release, give bugged content to Steam new players is definitely not a good idea.

It's pretty clear that steam release will come first. Otherwise, they would patch the ui and QoL with the patch set 4.
    So this week: steam and week after set 4.
    We have to wait but i think it's the more logical course of actions

The wait doesn't bother me. Releasing in that order is a MAJOR concern though in my opinion.

Steam should come first so they can prepare the servers for high load.

Non game breaking bugs have little effect on if a person stays or leaves or writes a bad review as long as it is fixed in a day or two. People are generally conscious of the fact that new things have bugs.

HXE does fix the truly bad bugs quickly and support is great until then. Personally would rather have set 4 first.

Edited: out an untrue statement.
    Last edited by incitfulmonk21; 04-09-2016 at 06:19 AM.

The way they've released content has been pretty poor overall.

1. Coming out of beta with 3 sets released. This is bad on so many levels. It's daunting to new players who already are faced with learning the mechanics of a game the even vets need rule clarifications on. It will make newcomers feel like there is a ginormous pay wall to get started or a million year grind. There are a lot of cards, the best times to get into new card game is either when they're new or when a block rotates and things are fresh for everyone. They will have to play against experienced HEX players who also have many, if not all the cards.

2. They came out of beta on the campaign release and it was mostly unplayable and super buggy. A lot of people stuck with it and powered through - which tells you that it's great content, but if they had kept it in beta and continued to let us provide feedback for 2-3 more weeks, they could have had an official launch that was like butter and they would have had the lag problems sorted. No one enjoyed the 10 minute loading screens, no one was happy that you couldn't search the AH for AZ1 cards, freezes and crash to desktop bugs, then some of there fixes borked the arena too, and so on. They absolutely lost players because of these things and that sucks.

3. Now they want to try and capture a larger audience via Steam (good idea), but they will be launching Set 4 in close proximity (bad idea). That's makes problem #1 even more pronounced. To a new player, everything is new and shiny, a 4th set just makes things more confusing. Which set should I buy packs from? If I get set 1 packs will they be useless and rotated out? When will rotation happen? (no one knows, so far the sets take forever to come out), if there are bugs (there will be) the new players will see a game filled with bugs rather than a game that runs smoothly and things work pretty well.

So really, we're left with a pretty messy scenario in which it is both better to release Set 4 both before and after the Steam launch. If you release it before, you have a chance to clean up bugs, but new players are faced with even more cards to learn and deal with. If you release it after, new players are faced with fewer cards to learn (still a lot) and will get to experience a new set launch, but will have to deal with the bugs that come with it.

Ultimately I think the best solution is to release Set 4 and follow that 2-4 weeks later with a Steam launch. The ship has sailed on new players having to learn a bunch of cards, one extra set won't be too much worse, but bugs will just make the game look worse. So release now and go bug stomping. Then give Steam a smooth experience.

Quote Originally Posted by incitfulmonk21 View Post
    They have already stated steam will come first see the Friday update thread in news and announcements.

Steam should come first so they can prepare the servers for high load.

Non game breaking bugs have little effect on if a person stays or leaves or writes a bad review as long as it is fixed in a day or two. People are generally conscious of the fact that new things have bugs.

HXE does fix the truly bad bugs quickly and support is great until then. Personally would rather have set 4 first.
    I went and retread the post to be sure. They don't say which is coming first, just that both are soon.