Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Steam: Most up-voted comment and DLC.

I like some of your changes timlagor and I agree with mentioning the forums if I can make it happen.
    Lets make changes in the post bold so we can distinguish easier without rereading it a hundred times.

"I am a streamer that played HEX for 3 years (alpha) and TCGs in general for over 10 years.

1.)What is F2P in this game?
    - Many hours of PvE (RPG meets TCG)
    - Learn to play TCGs without investing money or embarrassing yourself
    - Farm your way into PvP at a reasonable rate

You can try everything in this game for free before deciding to spent money. You can compete without spending money, but having a bigger collection will give you a long-term advantage and will cost you hundreds of $.

2.)HEX and Magic the Gathering have many similarities and differences. Which you prefer depends on your priorities. HEX has a great online experience, PvE and is a lot easier to get into.

3.)HEX has one of the best communities you will ever find. Its hard to find toxic behavior and easy to get help. The official forums and streamers are informative and actively organizing events.

4.)Because this is an AAA quality game made by a growing studio and not a cheap Asian scam, you sometimes have to wait a little for new content. 3 years of beta make for a very polished game.

5.)In this TCG you can buy some power, but you can't buy wins. No amount of money or skill will get you over 80% win-rate. Between money, luck and skill, skill is the most impact-full factor for success."
    Also cut down some parts again to save more space/attention.
    I also checked how this looks on steam and its becoming a very decent length.
    If we add information we have to make sure its worth it or cut even more.
    Last edited by NaryaDL0re; 04-10-2016 at 06:28 AM.

Like it so far except will cost 100 of dollars because there are quite a few people who go infinite and actually make money off playing Hex and it costs them nothing. Also some mention of the 100k tournament should be made as that is a huge selling point.

Glad you are doing this though because I really like the draft so far. Also, you can try everything ...... spent -> spend

Edit: rethinking definitely should say something about having to spend money just not a fan the current way. Wish I could be more constructive.

Edit 2: and most likely will cost..... still not sold on that wording either but maybe something more in that direction.
    Last edited by incitfulmonk21; 04-10-2016 at 06:20 AM.

Yeah I thought about the 100K and it felt like HEX will do enough to advertise it on their own. But you are right I should probably say that you can earn real money and might as well use the 100K as an example. Also I agree with your criticism, the money part is one of the hardest ones to say in a concise manner.
    I am a kickstarter and spend more than 1k on hex ... but now I make a lot more than I spend ingame (going infinite). (thx for pointing out spent -> spend)
    Its very different depending on original investment, tcg history, talent, time, etc etc

Lets try some other ways for the money and include the 100K:

"I am a streamer that played HEX for 3 years (alpha), Magic and other TCGs for over 10 years.

You can try everything in this game for free before deciding to spend money. The first tournament had a 100 000$ prize pool and you could compete for free, but having a bigger collection will give you a long-term advantage and can cost you hundreds of $. But if you ever become good enough the game pays for itself or better.

2.)HEX and Magic the Gathering have many similarities and differences. Which you prefer depends on your priorities. HEX has a great online experience, PvE and is a lot easier to get into.

3.)HEX has one of the best communities you will ever find. Its hard to find toxic behavior and easy to get help. The official forums and streamers are informative and actively organizing events.

4.)Because this is an AAA quality game made by a growing studio and not a cheap Asian scam, you sometimes have to wait a little for new content.3 years of beta make for a very polished game.

5.)In this TCG you can buy some power, but you can't buy wins. No amount of money or skill will get you over 80% win-rate. Between money, luck and skill, skill is the most impact-full factor for success."

I realize that you still had to gather Qualifier tickets, but you could farm booster packs for those. Its not a perfectly honest thing to say in my opinion but close enough that I feel somewhat comfortable with it. Will iterate more on this once the fiveshards weekly is done or tomorrow.
    Last edited by NaryaDL0re; 04-10-2016 at 06:52 AM.

I think this is a great idea as well. There are a few typos in your current write-up, and I have some thoughts on things to say. I'll mull it over in my head today and post this evening with some suggestions and corrections on the typos if they haven't already been pointed out by others / fixed at that point.
    --ossuary

"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
    - Shakespeare, All's Well That Ends Well

not sure about the 100k thing, CZE is selling theyr game as having tournaments with prices so why mention a specific one.
    if you want to sell someone on playing LoL you do not mention the championships and that if you train hard enough, you could earn money for playing...
    99% of people who read this on steam will not be able to participate in this kind of big worldwide tournament anyway and not be interrested in it in the first place. big competitions are something you grow into and not a selling point IMHO.

The big goals with this post are:
    - conveying what FTP means for a TCG
    - the community is awesome and will help you out
    Last edited by Eierdotter; 04-10-2016 at 06:59 AM.
    Wishlist
    Timezone: GMT+1

I see where you are coming from eierdotter, but dont forget the power of the american dream. Many more people dream of being a star than actually try or become. I think mentioning a big figure as an example does go a long way to show what is possible. Even though its not likely for most to achieve.

My comments are in bold. I think its a good start but could be more concise and I think there are other areas of the game that could be focused on. This is a tough thing to get down and I'll think about it more.

I'm a streamer who's played HEX for 3 years (since alpha) and TCGs in general for over 10 years.

1.) This game is genuinely free to play but not free to compete. (Instead: The PVE half of this game is completely free to play. You receive 200 cards to start and can earn new cards and gold as you play. Gold can be traded for platinum to enter the PVP half of the game but it is a grind to be a F2P player in PVP. A modest initial investment can go a long way in PVP)
    - You can have dozens of hours of fun in PvE (the quickly growing RPG aspect of the game) for free
    - You can learn to play TCGs at you leisure without investing money or embarrassing yourself. (I donít like saying embarrassing yourself here. Saying at your leisure is fine.)
    - You can farm for gold that has real value at a very respectable rate and get into PVP that way by spending time instead of $ but it will take a LOT of hours to amass a competitive collection.
    -(There is a fully functional auction house where all cards can be sold for gold or platinum so you can sell the cards you have for gold or platinum)

You can learn and try everything in this game for free, before deciding whether or not you enjoy the competitive side of TCGs enough to spend money.
    You can in theory compete without spending any or a lot of money, but having a bigger collection will give you a definite long-term advantage.
    (Iím not a fan of this whole paragraph. Need to specify that you can try all the PVE for free, but that was what the above bullet points get across. You can't try PVP for free, takes a time investment or money.)

2.)HEX and Magic the Gathering have fundamental similarities and differences, but if you love one you are very likely to love the other one as well. Which you prefer depends on your priorities, HEX has a great online experience, PvE(F2P) and is a lot easier to get into. It does have the same quality but not yet(!) the same quantity of content. It also has a number of very interesting mechanics that simply aren't available in meatspace. (This could be more a discussion of how Hex separates itself in the digital space rather than a comparison to Magic. Could mention it, but not sure how much of a major selling point this is)

3.)HEX has one of the best communities you will ever find in a game. You will find out what this means as soon as you play the game, but lets just say that its very hard to find any toxic behavior and very easy to get all kinds of help from people.

4.)Most of HEXs weaknesses have already been overcome during the 3 year long Alpha/Beta. But since this isn't a cheap Korean scam but an AAA quality game produced by a still growing studio, the wait times between new content have been the must frustrating downside of HEX in the past. The pace of content creation is steadily increasing though and you always get rewarded for your patience. (I know its toungue in cheek but I donít like the Korean/Asian thing. Could make the same point without it.)

5.)Last but not least, this is a TCG. You can buy some power (some cards are more powerful than others and some decks are superior to others), but you can't buy wins. (A $25 dollar deck can beat a $300 deck if it is constructed properly). And even if you are better than your opponent, he always has a chance of getting lucky and the over way around. No amount of money or skill will get you over 80% win rate. And believe it or not, skill is the much more impact-full factor on your success in game.

Time Bug

A bit longer, but a lot stronger

I like the idea. I'll probably do a separate review in my own, more conversational style which will hopefully garner upvotes as well to help the game. Some suggestions to think of for this one below:

"I am a Twitch streamer and have played HEX for 3 years since alpha; MtG and other TCGs for over 10 years.

You can try everything in this game for free before deciding to spend money. Once you're confident enough, you can invest $20-$30 in the game and it can potentially pay for itself or better, because you can sell what you win on the player-run Auction House for in-game currency to sustain your play.

1. What is F2P in this game? - 15-20 hours of PvE (RPG meets TCG) which can be re-played with a different faction with a very different experience. Classes and Talent trees impact your play as well.

2. If you want to speed up the process of gaining powerful cards, you can invest money in them, but skill plays a more important role in determining who wins PvP tournaments.

3. HEX and MtG have many similarities and differences. HEX has a great online experience which gives you flexibility if you don't have time to go to a local store or want to play at 3AM, is a lot easier to get into, and has free PvE.

4. HEX has one of the best communities you will ever find. It's hard to find toxic behavior and easy to get help. The official forums and streamers are informative and actively organize free events with great prizes.

5. This is a high quality game made by a growing indie studio, which has steadily gained momentum. Previously, new content came out every 6 months or so, but they are progressing to their goal of delivering new sets of cards thrice a year in addition to new PvE areas called Adventure Zones.

6. Some of the features coming in the future - A brand new set of cards, A new PvE Adventure Zone which is twice the size of the original, New PvE Classes and A ranked ladder system which will tie into their next $100k tournament - the previous one was a smashing success with the winner taking home $40k!

7. Finally, this is a proper TCG, where your collections have real-world value on the secondary market with the potential to grow over time. You'll frequently hear about people who have invested $50 in the game for a year, and have multiplied that value many times over.

If you're looking for a game that you can dedicate yourself to, which will reward you with many hours of challenges and enjoyment, jump on board and stick around. You're going to love it!
    1AM here. Someone should probably edit it for length. Ttyt. Night.
    IGN: Chocmaw | The Unnamed Council | Twitter

Thx for the input guys.
    @Chocmaw I like some small tweaks and corrections that are just better english.
    A lot of the more detailed stuff you mentioned are things I already considered but
    decided that they spent too much volume on specifics that are better explained by
    players in game or learned by experience.
    This is obviously the hardest part to judge, but I want to try and not give any
    "examples" and stick more to generalizations. Because examples are always
    debatable, incomplete and take up a lot of space.

I like point 7 and will see if I can squeeze it in. Point 6 sounds too much as advertisement to me
    and I dont want to say anything about specific features if possible.

@GobBluth
    I m a little confused since your version doesnt seem more concise and I don't know if you intended it to be?
    But I agree that it wants to be as concise as possible.
    Similar to what I said to Chocmaw I d like to avoid details and examples for the above mentioned reasons.

The Korean/Asian thing is interesting because I like how it breaks the "analytical statement" atmosphere.
    Remember this is NOT supposed to be a semi official statement by hex at all, but a very personal opinion.
    So in the end I like a slight unprofessional touch that makes it easier to relate to the person behind the comment.
    Despite me asking for feedback and "writing this comment together" ... in the end it is still my name and
    I wont say anything I m not convinced of.

Otherwise the comment needs to start with "This is an aggregated opinion of a bunch of people from the Hex community".
    If I didnt get that across in my original post I apologize.

And I thought about the "digital only design space" as well, but as a game designer I have to say that its not that important. It creates a lot of awesome room for a fun game play, but it doesnt make it more fun by default and its a very long argument of how much of an advantage it actually is. So I dont want to start a giant discussion on a controversial topic within my review.

Also time investment is part of free to play (under most interpretations). So you can try pvp for free by grinding arena or getting pvp cards in pve etc. I do agree that this is whishi whashi, but it takes to much space to give examples and differentiate between how much time you have to invest for how many drafts etc etc.

And I think you didnt address the latest version but the one before that, which obviously can easily happen while I m editing. So this isnt criticism but just pointing out that some of your feedback (without embarrassing yourself) was already taken care of.

Hey guys. I thought I'd give this a shot. I enjoy writing this sort of thing.

Original:

"I am a streamer that played HEX for 3 years (alpha), Magic and other TCGs for over 10 years.

You can try everything in this game for free before deciding to spend money. The first tournament had a 100 000$ prize pool and you could compete for free, but having a bigger collection will give you a long-term advantage and can cost you hundreds of $. But if you ever become good enough the game pays for itself or better.

4.)Because this is an AAA quality game made by a growing studio and not a cheap Asian scam, you sometimes have to wait a little for new content.3 years of beta make for a very polished game.

Rewrite:

I'm a streamer who has played TCGs for over 10 years, including MtG, Hearthstone (true?), and Hex since its Alpha. Here's what you need to know about this game:

1. Is it Free (F2P)?
    Yes: PVE. PvP if you perform consistently well. You can farm PVE to pay for PvP in the Auction House.
    No: Competing at the highest level (though some competitive decks require only moderate investment).

Smart players can use their preferred method to fund the game, whether through placing highly in hourly tournaments; farming the story-like, RPG PVE; or buying low and selling high on the AH. After I started playing Hex I realized that while most of the CCGs I've played made it easy to collect cards, only Hex made it easy to earn the cards I really wanted.

2. Is this just like Magic: the Gathering?
    Yes and no. I'd say that they are based on the same successful formula: trading cards and complexity of play. Hex focuses on the digital space, which makes it more dynamic, creative, and accessible at the expense of the more tangible features of a physical game.

3. Does this have a good community?
    Yes. It's easily among the most helpful and generous I've encountered, and the streamers are fantastic.

4. Is this well supported by the publisher?
    Yes. HexEnt really cares about this game and works actively to address its problems and concerns from the community. However, their desire to produce a perfect game sometimes leads to delays in development. They've assured us that recent improvements in infrastructure will dramatically reduce future delays.

5. Should I play this?
    If you're looking for a game that will razzle-dazzle you with a steady stream of cheap rewards, then no. Hex is a true TCG. Gamers who appreciate depth, quality, and a game that offers them genuine opportunities to earn its cards will stick with Hex for the long-haul. I can see myself playing this game for decades.
    Last edited by hitchslap88; 04-10-2016 at 11:26 AM.