Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Steam: Most up-voted comment and DLC.

Quote Originally Posted by Timlagor View Post
    You might also want to mention the shinies.
    AA EA Sleeves Promos will all be very attractive to some and a relief not to need to spend on to others.
    This is what I also feel is important: That some of the major incentives to spend money are optical and do not influence gameplay (e.g. TF2 hats).

Master Theorycrafter
    I think trying to craft some ideal review is kinda dumb / pointless - like if this thread was about people posting the kind of review they would leave once they have the opportunity to do so and others could give constructive feedback on those that might be useful but trying to min-max pseudo-marketing stuff is creepy

Just leave honest reviews

But this is exactly what you said voormas =). It is my review how I would leave it, and others peoples take on what they would change if it was their own.

I just use the feedback that I agree with to forge the version I m happiest with myself. Its no real pseude marketing stuff in the end. Its just the nature of my own review that I care about that impression.

The "shinie" AA etc stuff is interesting but a little clunky. (and I didnt even count that in in all that money tbh) Its also not that important to me because again my review is not necessarily designed to draw people in.

I understand the sentiment that it might feel good to hear that you can spend a lot on cosmetic stuff ... but the 1000 was without that in mind. Also set 1-2-3 will be important for at least 1 more year. We already heard from cory that a "rotation" will happen at Set 7 at the earliest.

So I agree that it is interesting to tell people about cosmetics. But in that case the number would be $0-$10 000. (And just in case anyone thinks that number is stupid. right now if you have every card in the game 4 times, ignoring extending them which is super expensive, ignoring mercenaries or sleeves, your account will be worth more than $6000. That is without set 4-5-6. And again that is WITHOUT most of the shinies! (except AA))

So my $1000+ is already far away from "whale" status in this game. Its just "I m serious about long term pvp" status. Or if that sounds too elitist because you can in theory win a bunch of tournaments without such a big investment: "I want to maximize my long term pvp chances"

EDIT: I like the "sky is the limit" instead of a fixed number feedback. I ll consider it and see if I find a version that works. I want to make sure people realize how expensive pvp is in the end over the long term.

And for those that try to argue how you can play for a long time without too much investment. Normal AAA games cost 40-60 bucks ... and you play them for 30-1000+ hours. You can play chess and similar sports for a lifetime without bigger investments.

TCGs are the Golf of gaming ... and even tough hex does a great job of allowing people a very cheap entrance into the genre. It doesn't change the fact that you can maximize your fun and chances by paying thousands of dollars in TCGs.

EDIT2: Just went through the math real quick one more time. All legendaries 4 times from set 1/2/3 are about 1000€, all rares add another ~1000€.

So lets say you are just interested in maximizing the top decks, not trying to complete a collection
    and you are careful when you buy in AH etc.
    Once set 4 hits, you will still have to spent a minimum of 500+ to gain access to all the top decks. Most likely more. And that is the absolute minimum if you have to buy them from scratch.

This is all based on my collection and hextcg.browser so it fluctuates, but the rough sizes are correct

All of that is without tournament buy-ins. Without playing ANY limited. And without losing money while learning to play the game. You wont just start this game and make a profit in tournaments after a couple of weeks, unless your background is TCG heavy, you are super lucky or a genius.

So one reason why I don't want to pamper people that read the review is... I believe its a lie.
    If you want to commit to TCGs in the long run, you should be mentally prepared to either spend a great deal of money during the learning process and once you take it seriously. Or be aware that you will spent hundreds of hours grinding pve.

That sounds harsh... because it is harsh. TCGs are worth this investment.
    But I wont pretend that HEX is a magical Christmas land that gives you all the long term awesomeness depth, content, competition, money winning opportunities, collection building, etc etc ... for free.

Because that is simply not the case.

EDIT3: I changed some small lines here to address the future investment of money.

I am a streamer who has played TCGs for over 10 years including MtG, Hearthstone and HEX since alpha. Here's what you need to know about this game: [Along with a TLDR answer for each question]

1.) What is Free to Play in this game? [Many hours of PvE]
    PvE is RPG-meets-TCG content that allows you to have fun, learn the game and farm cards and in-game currency at a decent rate. You can also play the auction house, and tournaments will start paying for themselves once you are good enough. Check this great guide for more in depth information on F2P in HEX: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=663434222

2.) So how much do I end up paying in the end? [From $0 to $1,000 and beyond]
    You can enjoy the majority of the game by grinding and trading for what you need. But if you want to compete at the highest level of tournaments, like the $100k invitational, a large collection will be a long-term advantage. It may cost you a lot, but it will gain value over time and can be resold!

3.) Is this like Magic: The Gathering? [Similar concept with different strengths]
    HEX has a great online experience, uses its digital nature to innovate, has a growing RPG PvE and is easier/cheaper to get into, but it's not as vast as MtG yet and lacks its face-to-face social interaction.

4.) Does this have a good community? [One of the best around]
    It's easily among the most helpful and generous I've encountered, and the streamers are fantastic. The official forums and fan-sites are informative and active with guides and great tournaments.

5.) Can I trust the developer? [Yes!]
    The company is designing their own dream game. That is why this is a AAA quality game, despite coming from a still growing Indie studio. This sustainable perfectionism can lead to longer wait times, but they are worth it in the end.

6.) Should I play this game? [If you are new, yes! If you are a veteran, yes!]
    This is not an instant gratification game that presses your reward center a couple of times and then leaves you wanting. TCGs are one of the most rewarding genres you can get into, allowing you to grow your skill and collection over decades with flexible time and money commitment. You wont regret giving this a try.
    I think the "resold" is really important and what many people meant with the AH and other economic points. It should alleviate a lot of pressure from the big $1000+ number, since you dont just burn your money, you can also cash out in some ways. And I like adding that your time and money commitment are flexible in my final words.
    Last edited by NaryaDL0re; 04-13-2016 at 05:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Voormas View Post
    I think trying to craft some ideal review is kinda dumb / pointless - like if this thread was about people posting the kind of review they would leave once they have the opportunity to do so and others could give constructive feedback on those that might be useful but trying to min-max pseudo-marketing stuff is creepy

Just leave honest reviews
    100% agreed.

You can be guaranteed someone is going to find this thread & link to it as evidence that the existing Hex community is manipulating reviews and ratings on Steam (and Metacritic etc.) to shore up their investment in the game.
    This game has enough red flags to entice negative reviews on Steam already, it hardly needs another (and I've seen other games on Steam where the community has responded very negatively when existing players with a vested interest have tried to spam Steam with positive reviews and up-votes).

Just share your views honestly - it's free to try and anyone who is vaguely interested will make up their own mind.

According to one report on the Wikipaeda entry on Free-to-play games, 50% of the revenue comes from the top 0.15% of paying players.
    Far rather a large number of Steam players try the game, even if many inevitably leave negative reviews & move on, so that those who it really apeals to find it, stay on and pay.

And again, if any of this was biased or "staged" I would agree. But in the end its just my comment with help from others =). No one should upvote this comment artificially if they dont agree with it.

Given the high likely hood that people are going to download Hex with a boatload of expectations from Hearthstone and other F2P games, a good review that lets people know what Hex is and is not will set better expectations and (hopefully) have a better experience.

I think it's important that Steam players be made aware of the differences between HEX and Magic the Gathering Online, as well as the Magic [year] Duels of the Planeswalkers. The Magic [year] series appeals to a lot of Steam players* who want to play a TCG and don't have anyone to play with--they usually have experience with MtG in person, so they gravitate toward the MtG online offerings. I even purchased one of those pathetic games while I was waiting for the open beta for HEX

*according to my Friends list on Steam and what they purchase and/or add to their wishlists

Magic [year] is not free to play, it does contain paid content and you might need to beat the game to unlock the content you did pay for. There was no trading or auction house either. The UI, effects, animations... everything was completely subpar and people still buy that because they want something more advanced than Hearthstone...

I really do not think you want to mention RPG at all. It was a mistake for Dino to mention RPG talent trees. They are just talent trees. Putting free to play and rpg anywhere near each other is going to conjure a very different idea in peoples minds. Say something about it having single player activities to gain more cards and rewards. You can (with enough effort) never pay a dime

Why is there no simple What is Hex statement? Hex is a 100% digital tcg. You have a collection (which you can trade), you can play in head to head matches, drafts etc. This might be stated elsewhere, but you want to repeat it in any review.

Point 5 should go entirely. None of that is a compelling reason to give trust. Passionate devs fail to deliver in gaming all the time. Steam users are going to know that. Your own opinions on the matter may be strong, but bringing up trust at all makes it questionable.

I'll just chime in to say that I personally ignore any review that sounds too manufactured. I know companies have paid reviewers and when a review sounds like it may be a marketing piece rather than from a consumer of that product, I just move on and look for something more human sounding.

Quote Originally Posted by Quantius View Post
    I'll just chime in to say that I personally ignore any review that sounds too manufactured. I know companies have paid reviewers and when a review sounds like it may be a marketing piece rather than from a consumer of that product, I just move on and look for something more human sounding.
    Hm I have to agree with this. For me Amazon is the best example here.
    I like differenciated posts the most. With detailed positive and negative aspects and a final conclusion and rating.
    Also comparisons to other products.