Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Steam: Most up-voted comment and DLC.

That is why I try to be as much "my self" as possible in this.
    Its not biased towards positiveness with the sole exception that I leave out
    the communication problems of the last years. That is a gamble of myself because
    I m confident that those problems will not remain forever.

Most points also just state options rather than judge whether or not they are good / bad.

@Pezzle please explain why you want to take the RPG away from PvE talent trees. Whats your reasoning behind it?

Also I am curious what you think "is" a compelling reason to give trust.
    Trust usually refers to competence and good will when used in a professional environment.
    (I trust my Dentist, he is capable and empathetic towards fear and pain)
    Designing your own game takes care of empathy... you are committed to your own happiness.
    And taking extra long is a weakness, but delivering high quality constantly because of it
    is a sign of competence.
    In my eyes those 2 sentences cover the 2 most important aspects of trust in a company.
    Self-investment and skill.

Obviously the judgement "that the content is worth the wait" is my own opinion.
    But that is the entire point. The review is my observation and judgement on some
    of the most important topics of the game.

@Quantius I do the same. But please point out what you think doesn't sound "human".
    Where in my above proposed review do I sound "corporate"? Because it certainly is just
    my experience in the game, written in a concise way.

@Sixlooter I share that sentiment.
    But this review of mine has 1 high priority: Set some dangerous expectations straight.
    Its not primarily supposed to advertise or rate the game against its competition.
    If I was writing a review that is all about "Should you play this game?", it would look
    completely different. With a long explanation about tcgs, and many examples inside
    the game, and comparisons to all other high level Tcgs on the market!

But this is designed to clear up some otherwise misleading points and mention some
    less obvious ones that others might miss. Its not a complete list of bullet points
    that are in favor or against the game.

@All
    I d really like to read a good "Should I play Hex instead of other TCGs and why?" review.
    I don't want to write a second one, and this is certainly not intended to be that kind of review.
    But I'd love to see someone capable like Hitch whip up a great general comparison of
    the currently available alternatives and a comprehensive explanation of Hexs' strengths
    and weaknesses.

The solo part of the gme is a RPG. Keep it

My interpretation of a quick and dirty 'comprehensive', yet short review for HEX:

HEX - The best digital TCG you will ever play.

Why?

Player-to-Player trade for all items in the game, with easy ways to sell cards third party.
    This alone makes it better than games like Hearthstone, Faeria, Duelyst, etc. where you are locked to cards you own. Being able to build assets for the time you invest in the game makes this game one of the best values for your luxury time.

PvE!!!!!!!!!! and endless deck building possibilities through equipment!
    The AI for HEX is awesome, and keeps getting better. The RPG elements and leveling system offer a lot of variety, and deck building options with PvE exclusive cards and equipment will offer endless replayability! The content release plan is said to have 7 years of content currently played, with 2-3 anticipated large PvE content and progression patches per year. The experience is extremely unique for a TCG, and will eventually have co-op MMO style modes added.

PvP is outstanding and the constructed and limited format scene are developing nicely with each new set.
    There is a draft format, sealed format, and constructed format where packs are rewarded as prizes. Including some free community tournaments as well, where packs and plat are rewarded as prizes. Unlike other popular card games now, part of the cost of limited formats, like draft and sealed, is in the packs, which you keep all contents of after the tournament. The constructed format has a rich meta that has evolved with time, and will get better with each set release.

Marketing Model knowledge is an important step to appreciating the value HEX provides.
    Whether it be Primal Packs(and you will love these babies), Chase cards, Exclusive events, Hitting an amazing chest spin, or trading your gold for plat to remain a free-to-play player, there are a ton of intricate pieces that tie into the Marketing Model for HEX, that really reward you for your understanding. At the end of the day, 1 simple rule applies - Time = Money, but if you put in a little bit of Money to jump-start your experience, it can save you a ton of time grinding early on. If you want to be a virtually free-to-play player, with it comes an understanding to build a strong PvE deck, and having the time to farm gold, and then convert gold and cards on the AH to continue playing all modes for free. F2P is definitely something that can be done, and the better understanding you have, and the more time-invested, the easier it will be for you, as a player, to casually drop 1400 plat in a day to play paid limited tournaments, and convert those rewards.

Future Development, and other bells and whistles.
    There are a lot more formats, PvE content, RPG experience, MMO experience, cards, equipment, exclusive events to come. This game is seriously a black-hole of replayability, and for that, I both love it and hate it, as it's hard for me to put the same value into other games, and I find myself spending more and more time playing HEX for both the value and fun experimenting with endless options.

What are we up against? - Genre competition - Scope?
    Do we only compare to card games here, or do we compare to RPG's and MMO's as well? It might be a little early to compare to MMO's given the lack of MMO content that is tangible. For that, let me bucket some games below:
    Faeria / Hearthstone / Duelyst / Duel of Champions - Fast and fun games, but all CCG's - you can't trade, and they have poor AI and poor PvE modes. 100% limited to cards for customization. Dumb-downed mechanics.
    Magic the gathering - This is grandpa's TCG, that refuses to iterate for the digital age. The digital nature of HEX is constantly being pushed, with permanent buffs, and sockets, etc. Things MTG never could do. The price point is twice as much, and the your time does not feel as valued. Their PvE titles leave a lot to be desired, and they don't have a cool equipment system.

Play HEX! You won't regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by nicosharp View Post
    What you paying Narya?
    Compliments, apparently I'll see what I can come up with, Narya.

Also, what Quantius is referring to are statements like, "HEX has a great online experience, uses its digital nature to innovate, has a growing RPG PvE and is easier/cheaper to get into..." and "[the community is] easily among the most helpful and generous I've encountered, and the streamers are fantastic. The official forums and fan-sites are informative and active with guides and great tournaments." These statements have a level of polish and density that suggest that they've been crafted carefully and edited as opposed to the on-the-fly tone of most reviews. Unfortunately, we can't cut them down without losing a lot of the information we've tried to pack into the review. There is no perfect review that fits everyone's taste, however, so ours is good in its way. I think we can keep everything the way it is.

Quote Originally Posted by nicosharp View Post
    My interpretation of a quick and dirty 'comprehensive', yet short review for HEX:

HEX - The best digital TCG you will ever play.

Why?

Player-to-Player trade for all items in the game, with easy ways to sell cards third party.
    This alone makes it better than games like Hearthstone, Faeria, Duelyst, etc. where you are locked to cards you own. Being able to build assets for the time you invest in the game makes this game one of the best values for your luxury time.

PvE!!!!!!!!!! and endless deck building possibilities through equipment!
    The AI for HEX is awesome, and keeps getting better. The RPG elements and leveling system offer a lot of variety, and deck building options with PvE exclusive cards and equipment will offer endless replayability! The content release plan is said to have 7 years of content currently played, with 2-3 anticipated large PvE content and progression patches per year. The experience is extremely unique for a TCG, and will eventually have co-op MMO style modes added.

PvP is outstanding and the constructed and limited format scene are developing nicely with each new set.
    There is a draft format, sealed format, and constructed format where packs are rewarded as prizes. Including some free community tournaments as well, where packs and plat are rewarded as prizes. Unlike other popular card games now, part of the cost of limited formats, like draft and sealed, is in the packs, which you keep all contents of after the tournament. The constructed format has a rich meta that has evolved with time, and will get better with each set release.

Marketing Model knowledge is an important step to appreciating the value HEX provides.
    Whether it be Primal Packs(and you will love these babies), Chase cards, Exclusive events, Hitting an amazing chest spin, or trading your gold for plat to remain a free-to-play player, there are a ton of intricate pieces that tie into the Marketing Model for HEX, that really reward you for your understanding. At the end of the day, 1 simple rule applies - Time = Money, but if you put in a little bit of Money to jump-start your experience, it can save you a ton of time grinding early on. If you want to be a virtually free-to-play player, with it comes an understanding to build a strong PvE deck, and having the time to farm gold, and then convert gold and cards on the AH to continue playing all modes for free. F2P is definitely something that can be done, and the better understanding you have, and the more time-invested, the easier it will be for you, as a player, to casually drop 1400 plat in a day to play paid limited tournaments, and convert those rewards.

Future Development, and other bells and whistles.
    There are a lot more formats, PvE content, RPG experience, MMO experience, cards, equipment, exclusive events to come. This game is seriously a black-hole of replayability, and for that, I both love it and hate it, as it's hard for me to put the same value into other games, and I find myself spending more and more time playing HEX for both the value and fun experimenting with endless options.

What are we up against? - Genre competition - Scope?
    Do we only compare to card games here, or do we compare to RPG's and MMO's as well? It might be a little early to compare to MMO's given the lack of MMO content that is tangible. For that, let me bucket some games below:
    Faeria / Hearthstone / Duelyst / Duel of Champions - Fast and fun games, but all CCG's - you can't trade, and they have poor AI and poor PvE modes. 100% limited to cards for customization. Dumb-downed mechanics.
    Magic the gathering - This is grandpa's TCG, that refuses to iterate for the digital age. The digital nature of HEX is constantly being pushed, with permanent buffs, and sockets, etc. Things MTG never could do. The price point is twice as much, and the your time does not feel as valued. Their PvE titles leave a lot to be desired, and they don't have a cool equipment system.

Play HEX! You won't regret it.
    Might as well post this in Steam too I wonder how many potential players will have already researched the game's features before they read the comments. Comments are usually the second thing I read after the game's description, so it may be that all of the feature highlighting and explanation is valuable. At the same time, once I have a good understanding of what the game is I look for a review that is purely opinionated.

Okay, so imo:

It kinda reads like an FAQ rather than a review. This might be due to the format (numbered list). I think you need more 'show, don't tell' in here; you make statements about the game without really showing how those things impact you as a player of the game. Instead of saying that PvE is a thing, talk about your experience in PvE while hitting the main points.

For example, here's how I would talk about my own experience in the campaign:
    HEX is putting together a really unique PvE experience for CCG's, and the first zone was recently released. I chose a human mage as my first character because it matched the playstyle I wanted (each class has its own abilities and talents which allow you to customize your character). The mage lets you have a bigger starting hand and gives you some innate spells that you can activate when you have enough spellpoints, but you get this at the trade off for having a small health pool (aka you're squishy).

While I have been playing since the start and have a pretty big collection of cards, new players get 200 cards to start and many veteran members put together this handy guide for getting started [linky]. There's a variety of encounters, some easy, some hard, some hair-pulling, but that's part of the fun, figuring out how to overcome various challenges and creating fun decks to do it with. I've made some alts since then and have spent a bunch of time in the Frost Ring Arena which houses it's own set of challenges in a gauntlet style progression that awards gold and cards.

From there you can use some of that gold or sell some cards on the auction house to get into PvP. You can do all this for free, but if you enjoy the game and want to support it, you can start filling out your collection using the store. Of course it's a TCG so the most competitive decks often have some hard to get/expensive cards. You can still get them for free by playing if you have the time to dedicate to it.

and so on and so forth.

Stuff like, "Can I trust the developer?" That's a really weird question/answer in and of itself. It's one of those, "if you have to ask, the answer is no." type of questions. If you're aiming this at new players, they haven't been waiting 9 months for set 4, they don't have the history that we have so there's no point of reference to tell them about perfectionism and long wait times. As far as we know, this steam launch might be the last biggie and all systems will be in place to churn out content at the expected rate. Basically, you're creating bias where there otherwise wouldn't be any. A new player is a blank slate, to them there is no delay, everything is new and the game has just released (it's only been out of beta a little while). Those of us complaining right now (like me) are just whiners who want more toys. Let the new players enjoy all the existing shinies. If set 5 takes a year to come out, then they're welcome to join Filking Squad.

Really think about yourself as a player, not as a source of information. Talk about the things that make you smile while playing HEX, you don't need to hit a litany of points, people will piece together a picture of what to expect from multiple points of view. And they'll watch videos, read FAQ's on the HEX store page anyway. What you can provide is what's fun. If you love deckbuilding, talk about deckbuilding and the kinds of things it offers, how equipment can drastically change how a card functions and offer all new deck ideas.

If I'm reading player reviews, I want to know what makes the game great for them. That way I can identify if I share in those interests. I can read a feature list and get factual information anywhere. Read your review again. What sounds fun about the game? All I know is that it has a great community, but I have to take your word for it. Show us a time that it had a great community for you. "I was doing xyz and then abc happened and people were all like yoloswag! and it was awesome."

Anyway, that's my input, don't take anything as an intent to insult, I absolutely have no such goal in mind.

I had a long day and will come back to this tomorrow. Quick responses:

@Hitch, looking forward and yeah I got his general drive, but polish doesn't equate corporate.

@Nico I like your take, though it really sounds mono positive =), I had a more pro/con in mind.

@Quantius Its supposed to be more of an FAQ type review =). I fully understand what you desire from
    a review and know that a lot of people do. However this was specifically not designed to be
    full of examples. Putting my 10 years of TCG into examples would cover books...
    Its supposed to be a very abstract and aggregated opinion on some important topics.

I realize that I can't provide "prove", reasoning or examples if I want to talk about so many
    deep topics without writing many paragraphs. So all I have is decent phrasing and the
    introduction of 10 Years experience in the genre.
    Everyone reading that review has to decide for themselves whether I appear as a somewhat
    credible source or not =).

(I might also be slightly biased since I personally prefer such reviews and trust
    them more if they are concise and generic, rather than full of examples.)
    Last edited by NaryaDL0re; 04-14-2016 at 12:06 PM.

HEX will launch on Steam Tuesday, April 19th.

https://www.hextcg.com/steam-powered/
    Please tweet me @HEXWilliam for a reliable, quick response. Thank you.

Gigantisaur
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaqattaq View Post
    HEX will launch on Steam Tuesday, April 19th.

https://www.hextcg.com/steam-powered/
    Cory Video Hype
    Buying Gold 120 gold per platinum details Here

IGN ALCHEMY KICKSTARTER BACKER MEMBER OF THE UNNAMED COUNCIL