Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steam: Most up-voted comment and DLC.

Hybrid View

Steam: Most up-voted comment and DLC.

Hey fellow Hexers, Phoenix from whitephoenixtv here.

As many of you are aware, there are a lot of potential dangers and opportunities coming our way with the upcoming steam launch of HEX. Since a lot of them have been discussed already in the official announcement thread I wont bother to repeat them all here. After a long discussion with Insanctus about the pros and cons of this decision by HEX Entertainment we arrived at 2 major conclusions.

Its really hard for HEX Entertainment themselves to leverage the advantage of the "Free to play" label, while also explaining to new players (via Trailer/Article/etc) that the game does in fact tend to cost a lot of money to compete on a high level. But there is one great thing that they can do, and one great thing we as a community can do about this and a bunch of other controversial topics (Like Magic the Gathering similarities).

1.) The most important thing that we as a community can do for a successful steam launch (besides being as helpful in client and in the forums as we always are), is target the most impact-full aspect of a steam game. The rating and the highest up-voted comment.
    If any of you are familiar with steam and its economy (And me and Insanctus have been with steam since the day the client launched for the first time), the 3 things the majority of new players check from a game before deciding to buy or to try it are the trailer, the rating and the highest up-voted positive/negative comment of the game.

So I propose the following that we as a community can do, but HEX Entertainment can't. (Shouldn't!)

I write a comment with your help (I will provide you with a starting blueprint down below that we can iterate on together), that tries to address some of the major controversial topics and then up vote it all the way to the top so that we can make sure the majority of new steam players will have read that small but important piece of content before they start the game with potentially flawed expectations. No multiple accounts or anything, just use your one vote, if not enough people agree or want to support this idea it will simply not work.

Obviously I m not only open to feedback concerning the steam comment itself, but also about the idea in general. If people have concerns about why this is a good or bad idea, feel free to debate inside this thread.

2.) The second thing are one-time DLC packs on Steam. A lot of "free to play" games have these to support their studio and at this day are the norm and no longer the exception. Depending on their nature they also are the best way for a publisher to communicate to new players that you can in fact spent a lot of money inside the game.

The nature of these is something that can be discussed here as well, but I m sure Chark and co have more than enough ideas and experience to find the perfect 1-3 options for players. Chark also mentioned that he pitched the idea of Hex costing something like 20 bucks while offering some ingame goodies to compensate for that. This idea has the best of all worlds. Hex still maintains its free to play status, but it presents the options of spending money early and transparent, while also creating extra revenue by offering people a tempting discount option once.
    Obviously this discount needs to be implemented in a way that is not ab-usable, but there are plenty of options to make sure that doesn't happen.

Some closing words.
    I don't know if either of these ideas was brought up in the main thread because I didn't read all 30+ pages, if so, just consider this my vote for those ideas. I also realize the fact that it might be too late for the second idea to be implemented at launch, I don't know the scheduling behind the scenes of steam, but even if that was true, this could still be implemented afterwards and have great effect.

I will post the "blue print" first version of my idea for the steam comment in my second post, feel free to discuss!

EDIT: Here is the "final" version I m currently running with. If I find more time and feedback before the steam launch I will continue to iterate and change this version further.

I am a streamer who has played TCGs for over 10 years including MtG, Hearthstone and HEX since alpha. Here's what you need to know about this game: [Along with a TLDR answer for each question]

1.) What is Free to Play in this game? [Many hours of PvE]
    PvE is RPG-meets-TCG content that allows you to have fun, learn the game and farm cards and in-game currency at a decent rate. You can also play the auction house, and tournaments will start paying for themselves once you are good enough. Check this great guide for more in depth information on F2P in HEX: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=663434222

2.) So how much do I end up paying in the end? [From $0 to $1,000 and beyond]
    You can enjoy the majority of the game by grinding and trading for what you need. But if you want to compete at the highest level of tournaments, like the $100k invitational, a large collection will be a long-term advantage. It may cost you a lot, but it will gain value over time and can be resold!

3.) Is this like Magic: The Gathering? [Similar concept with different strengths]
    HEX has a great online experience, uses its digital nature to innovate, has a growing RPG PvE and is easier/cheaper to get into, but it's not as vast as MtG yet and lacks its face-to-face social interaction.

4.) Does this have a good community? [One of the best around]
    It's easily among the most helpful and generous I've encountered, and the streamers are fantastic. The official forums and fan-sites are informative and active with guides and great tournaments.

5.) Can I trust the developer? [Yes!]
    The company is designing their own dream game. That is why this is a AAA quality game, despite coming from a still growing Indie studio. This sustainable perfectionism can lead to longer wait times, but they are worth it in the end.

6.) Should I play this game? [If you are new, yes! If you are a veteran, yes!]
    This is not an instant gratification game that presses your reward center a couple of times and then leaves you wanting. TCGs are one of the most rewarding genres you can get into, allowing you to grow your skill and collection over decades with flexible time and money commitment. You wont regret giving this a try.
    Last edited by NaryaDL0re; 04-13-2016 at 05:33 AM.

So first off some of my priorities for high quality steam posts.

1.) It needs to be as concise as possible! (4~ paragraphs or 20~ sentences)
    2.) Its less important to be detailed and more important to have strong comments.
    (I hate this aspect but sadly its a big point in public relations when its about marketing)
    3.) It will need some credibility and I will give my own TCG resume for that
    4.) It should be super neutral and highlight current weaknesses just as much as strengths

This is just my first version, I will iterate on it myself before I post it on steam and as I said above this thread serves the explicit purpose of everyone giving their opinion on it.
    Also I'm not a native speaker, so please point out all typos, I m most likely not aware of them.

"This review tries to cover the most important things you should know before getting into the game from the perspective of a streamer that played HEX for 3 years (since alpha) and TCGs in general for over 10 years.

1.)Free to play had and has many meanings, so what is F2P in this game?
    - You can have dozens of hours of fun in PvE (the quickly growing RPG aspect of the game)
    - You can learn to play TCGs at you leisure without investing money or embarrassing yourself
    - You can farm your way into your first PvP experience at a reasonable rate

So you can learn and try everything in this game for free, before deciding whether or not you enjoy the competitive side of TCGs enough to spent money.
    You can in theory compete without spending any or a lot of money, but having a bigger collection will give you a definite long-term advantage.

2.)HEX and Magic the Gathering have fundamental similarities and differences, but if you love one you are very likely to love the other one as well. Which you prefer depends on your priorities, HEX has a great online experience, PvE(F2P) and is a lot easier to get into. It does have the same quality but not yet(!) the same quantity of content.

3.)HEX has one of the best communities you will ever find in a game. You will find out what this means as soon as you play the game, but lets just say that its very hard to find any toxic behavior and very easy to get all kinds of help from people.

4.)Most of HEXs weaknesses have already been overcome during the 3 year long Alpha/Beta. But since this isn't a cheap Korean scam but an AAA quality game produced by a still growing studio, the wait times between new content have been the must frustrating downside of HEX in the past. The pace of content creation is steadily increasing though and you always get rewarded for your patience.

5.)Last but not least, this is a TCG. You can buy some power, but you can't buy wins. And even if you are better than your opponent, he always has a chance of getting lucky and the over way around. No amount of money or skill will get you over 80% win rate. And believe it or not, skill is the much more impact-full factor on your success in game."

I m not satisfied with this at all, but it became a decent first take. Its too long for one thing and I have the feeling I missed 1-2 important things. I ll get back to this thread from time to time so have fun dismembering what I wrote =).

EDIT: This is the first major iteration

"I am a streamer and have played HEX for 3 years since alpha; Magic and other TCGs for over 10 years.

1.)What is F2P in this game?
    - Many hours of PvE (RPG meets TCG)
    - Learn to play TCGs without investing money or embarrassing yourself
    - Farm your way into PvP at a reasonable rate

You can try everything in this game for free before deciding to spend money. The first tournament had a 100 000$ prize pool and you could compete for free, but having a bigger collection will give you a long-term advantage and can cost you hundreds of $. But if you ever become good enough the game pays for itself or better.

2.)HEX and Magic the Gathering have many similarities and differences. Which you prefer depends on your priorities. HEX has a great online experience, PvE and is a lot easier to get into.

3.)HEX has one of the best communities you will ever find. Its hard to find toxic behavior and easy to get help. The official forums and streamers are informative and actively organizing events with great prizes.

4.)Since this is a AAA quality game made by an indie studio and not a cheap Asian scam, you sometimes have to wait a little for new content. 3 years of beta make for a very polished game.

5.)In this TCG you can buy some power, but you can't buy wins. No amount of money or skill will get you over 80% win-rate. Between money, luck and skill, skill is the most impact-full factor for success."
    This has a nice length but some stuff is missing and some phrasing is controversial.

EDIT2: Second major iteration:

I am a streamer who has played TCGs for over 10 years including MtG, Hearthstone and HEX since alpha. Here's what you need to know about this game:

1.)What is Free to Play in this game?
    This game has free PvE (RPG meets TCG) content that allows you to have fun, learn the game and farm cards and ingame currency at a decent rate. You can also play the auction house and tournaments will start paying for themselves once you are good enough.

2.)So how much do I end up paying in the end?
    You can enjoy the majority of the game by grinding and trading your way to what you need. But if you want to compete at the highest level of tournaments, like the 100 000$ invitational, a big collection will be a long-term advantage that can cost you hundreds of dollars.

3.)Is this like Magic: The Gathering?
    HEX and MtG have many similarities and differences. Which you prefer depends on your priorities. HEX has a great online experience, uses its digital nature for a lot of innovation, has growing RPG PvE and is easier/cheaper to get into.

4.)Does this have a good community?
    Yes. It's easily among the most helpful and generous I've encountered, and the streamers are fantastic. The official forums and fan-sites are informative and active with guides and great tournaments.

5.)Can I trust the developer?
    The developers are designing their own dream game. That is why this is a AAA quality game, despite coming from a still growing indie studio. This sustainable perfectionism can lead to longer wait times that are worth it in the end.

6.)Should I play this game?
    This is not an instant gratification game that presses your reward center a couple of times and than leaves you hollow. TCGs are one of the most rewarding genres you can get into, allowing you to grow your skill and collection over decades with very flexible time commitment. If you are new to the genre, this is the best game to try for yourself and if you are a TCG veteran you will find almost everything you ever wanted or find out that its coming soon.
    This has a lot of nice content (maybe too much) but is too long. I d like to get the skill cap of the game in there too q.q.

Including the TLDR version here:

TLDR:
    1.)What is Free to Play in this game? Many hours PvE
    2.)So how much do I end up paying in the end? 0-1000+$
    3.)Is this like Magic: The Gathering? Same concept, different strengths
    4.)Does this have a good community? One of the best around.
    5.)Can I trust the developer? He doesn't need money and builds his dream game... yes!
    6.)Should I play this game? If you are new : yes! If you are a veteran : yes!
    Last edited by NaryaDL0re; 04-11-2016 at 02:25 AM.

This is a pretty good idea actually. I dont believe this violates the whole begging or paying for reviews clause in the steam terms of use but depending on how its worded it could stand on shaky ground. Granted they are not compensating us in any way for doing any of this but with a stretch of logic it could end up looking shady. Before any of this is acted on we should probably get the go ahead from a NOBLE or something just to ensure its not going to rock the boat.
    In Game Name: Halko

I had a similar feeling but ironically getting a go ahead from a Noble almost makes it more fishy. (Because than HEX actually is involved at all in this movement) ^^. I did ask NOBLERoostasaur but I have no feedback on this yet. I will post this no matter what because it is just my own personal review on the game anyways.

Don't see how it would be an issue if it's just community members going about it on their own. I'm definitely all for letting people know what f2p is and what they should expect with this game. Yes it's a game, but it's also a hobby you could be playing for 20 years if it's successful. People should know money will be required for that.

This is my second try (currently iterating). I think it makes sense to have some of these versions separate and not just edit them. That way people can point out different version they like better and argue more clearly.

"This review tries to cover the most important things you should know before getting into the game from the perspective of a streamer that played HEX for 3 years (since alpha) and TCGs in general for over 10 years.

1.)What is F2P in this game?
    - Many hours of PvE (RPG meets TCG)
    - Learn to play TCGs without investing money or embarrassing yourself
    - Farm your way into some PvP at a reasonable rate

You can try everything in this game for free before deciding to spent money. You can compete without spending money, but having a bigger collection will give you a definite long-term advantage.

2.)HEX and Magic the Gathering have many similarities and differences. Which you prefer depends on your priorities. HEX has a great online experience, PvE and is a lot easier to get into.

3.)HEX has one of the best communities you will ever find in a game. Its very hard to find any toxic behavior and very easy to get all kinds of help from people.

4.)Because this is an AAA quality game made by a growing studio and not a cheap Asian scam, you sometimes have to wait a little for new content. Most of HEXs other weaknesses have been fixed during the 3 year long Beta.

5.)This is a TCG! You can buy some power, but you can't buy wins. No amount of money or skill will get you over 80% win rate. But skill is the much more impact-full factor on your success in game."

So this should already be a much better steam comment even though I hate to cut words more than anything. I believe I cut a lot of volume without hurting the content too much with this first iteration.
    Last edited by NaryaDL0re; 04-10-2016 at 04:47 AM.

One thing I think is key to mention in reviews is what to do with gold and also highlighting arena as being the best gold return. Going to mention that you can buy booster packs with gold as I read a review slating how with a competitor game you could buy all the booster packs with the freely earned in game currency but not in Hex which is obviously incorrect as you can buy boosters of the AH for gold.

I agree, tried to convey that with "- Farm your way into some PvP at a reasonable rate", feel free to tell me if thats not obvious enough. And "You can try everything in this game for free..."

Indeed only looks fishy to me if you do get approval from a HEX employee.

I don't use Steam so have no opinion on how people make their decisions there but this certainly sounds plausible. I know I tend to go straight for the content of the negative comments on Amazon but highly voted comments are certainly a thing too.

Here's a shot at Draft 2. Not every change is necessarily an improvement but it seemed easier to write a new draft than detail the changes. I think point 4 needs some work but nothing good is coming to mind

I'm a streamer who's played HEX for 3 years (since alpha) and TCGs in general for over 10 years.

1.) This game is genuinely free to play but not free to compete
    - You can have dozens of hours of fun in PvE (the quickly growing RPG aspect of the game) for free
    - You can learn to play TCGs at you leisure without investing money or embarrassing yourself
    - You can farm for gold that has real value at a very respectable rate and get into PVP that way by spending time instead of $ but it will take a LOT of hours to amass a competitive collection.

You can learn and try everything in this game for free, before deciding whether or not you enjoy the competitive side of TCGs enough to spend money.
    You can in theory compete without spending any or a lot of money, but having a bigger collection will give you a definite long-term advantage.

2.)HEX and Magic the Gathering have fundamental similarities and differences, but if you love one you are very likely to love the other one as well. Which you prefer depends on your priorities, HEX has a great online experience, PvE(F2P) and is a lot easier to get into. It does have the same quality but not yet(!) the same quantity of content. It also has a number of very interesting mechanics that simply aren't available in meatspace.

3.)HEX has one of the best communities you will ever find in a game. You will find out what this means as soon as you play the game, but lets just say that its very hard to find any toxic behavior and very easy to get all kinds of help from people.

4.)Most of HEXs weaknesses have already been overcome during the 3 year long Alpha/Beta. But since this isn't a cheap Korean scam but an AAA quality game produced by a still growing studio, the wait times between new content have been the must frustrating downside of HEX in the past. The pace of content creation is steadily increasing though and you always get rewarded for your patience.

5.)Last but not least, this is a TCG. You can buy some power, but you can't buy wins. And even if you are better than your opponent, he always has a chance of getting lucky and the over way around. No amount of money or skill will get you over 80% win rate. And believe it or not, skill is the much more impact-full factor on your success in game.
    Currently Most Wanted HEX development: AH overhaul

http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/u...psee8e7213.png

Our CzE Recruitment Thread: http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=24252

i do not think you need to explain how to farm and stuff in a steam comment, it should just be a disclaimer what the game is all about.
    but i think you need to point out that the official CZE forum is the go to source for any kind of information, be it new player guides, deckideas, farming strategies, etc.

maybe add a little more about the community, for example that there are community sponsored free tournaments, giveaways etc. but that will probably blow up the lenght again...

good job on cutting the points down though, it felt like reading the exact same thing twice
    Wishlist
    Timezone: GMT+1