Thread: Hex API and TCG Browser

Hex API and TCG Browser

Hi,

In the latest patch the API was updated and some extra information was made available, specifically tournaments data. Also some fixes were done and a 'little' bug crawled into the client.

I'll discuss here only the changes that affected TCG Browser in one way or another.

- DraftPack and DraftCardPicked messages now contains the tournament id information. This allowed me to update the 'Recorded Drafts' page to include extra information when showing a draft, like the showing the cards from other players as well (granted they also enabled the API). Here's an example of how the draft page looks from now on http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/tools/draf...8b0afe2f86738c

- Inventory message properly sends all the equipment not only 1 of each. The equipment wishlist and tradelist should auto-generate on every update.
    - SaveDeck now sends equipped items.

- Setting the API to send "All" data will not work, as there are some issues with PlayerUpdated message (more info here). You need to specifically mention which messages you want the API to send. This is the list of messages that currently TCG Browser listens to: SaveDeck (save decks), Collection (sync cards), Inventory (sync equipment and other inventory items), DraftPack and DraftCardPicked (sync draft packs and picks)

For more information on how to setup the API go to this page.

Let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Baby Yeti
    You are awesome, bogy! Thanks for all the hard work.
    Kickstarter Backer (Pro Player tier)

As always Bogy great work!

Quote Originally Posted by bogycoins View Post
    ... like the showing the cards from other players as well[/url]
    I was thinking about doing a similar feature on my site, but i decided against it.
    I consider this a harmful feature. It can encourage collusion. Sure, you can already do this with the existing tools, but this makes it much easier.
    Also not everyone want to see his data public and it should not be public by default. Every player should be able to turn off, that other players can see the drafted cards. And be default it should turn off, so that people already using this, dont send their cards to the public without knowing. (opt in)

I don't know, if you can see all the cards when the draft is over and not live. That would be less harmful, but even then, you should be able to deactivate that other people can see your cards.

Creator of shareyourdraft.com / Forum thread IGN: dBug Twitch: dBug404

I thought a lot before implementing this and came to the conclusion that the benefit of having the entire draft presented from the perspective of all players outweighs the possible downsides. In fact, the only downside I see is that maybe some people don't want to have their drafts made public, just like some people don't like to have their collections public. For those there is always the option to not enable the API or use offline tools like that Excel file. On the other side, I believe it's way more interesting to see the entire draft rather than just your picks, you have an overview of what people picked from what they had, maybe improve your drafting skill as well. In any case, I'll look into an option to anonymize your name, so you have at least some privacy should you wish to.

Also there is no collision. The data is saved in the db after the draft finishes, so you can't use the information to gain some advantage in any way.

And one last thing. HXE made this information available, knowing that it would be used for tools like this one. So I think they are OK with it, and if not, I can of course update it to make it compliant with their wishes.

The draft thing is very cool. HexMeta already makes gauntlet decks public so draft decks being made public I think is fair game at this point.

Is there any way you can do some kind of big data analysis based on this information. Like what I always wondered was the average pick slot of each card in draft, that would be really interesting to know!

Sure its really cool to have this stuff available! I really like to see the whole draft and i really hope they will use this or a similar tool in the next big tournament. And i am hoping more people will use the API in the future (Sadly the last patch throve some away)

If there is no livedata then i dont see any harm. Just wanted to voice some concerns.

I am not sure if its worth the effort, but we could work something out to exchange data from your and my site to get a more complete picture and better statistics in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by bootlace View Post

Is there any way you can do some kind of big data analysis based on this information. Like what I always wondered was the average pick slot of each card in draft, that would be really interesting to know!
    http://shareyourdraft.com/#/stats/

I am currently also working on win percentages and value gained per draft (card value + prices)
    Last edited by dbug; 04-11-2016 at 12:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dbug View Post
    Yes, excellent! Is it possible to add one column that aggregates this data into one number which is the mean pick #?

Quote Originally Posted by bootlace View Post
    Yes, excellent! Is it possible to add one column that aggregates this data into one number which is the mean pick #?
    Done.

I am always looking for more suggestions. But i don't want to necro this bogycoins thread. So for more suggestions please go the shareyourdraft forum thread.