Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Forums are Dead. Long Live the Forums!

Quote Originally Posted by bootlace View Post
    This forum merging was necessary (although I'm not convinced the GF forums were ever 'a thing' with its English section having less than 1% of the posts on these official forums). I think combining sites might make sense too but I have a feeling GF would want to do that on their own domain which I think would be confusing.

Here's hoping the forum software they used is a good choice. I have experience using something like Discourse and it's really amazing. But quotes like this doesn't exactly inspire confidence:
    Yeah, I've implemented Discourse a few times for personal projects, it's friggin' AWESOME.

I can't find their software, are they talking about grepping World of Tanks forum engine?

I agree that depending on what their current system looks like, it could be a pain. However, I have specifically done this before and did the entire thing with an automated script to merge the two accounts / histories. All that was kept was post history (and thus counts), nothing else was moved over. I just figured since they were specifically keeping the old posts, it shouldn't actually be much of a problem to keep the poster's ID and point them to the new account.
    --ossuary

"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
    - Shakespeare, All's Well That Ends Well

Not sure I want to be logging into the forums with my game account information without the benefit of my authenticator. Too much to lose.
    Hex: Shards of Fate KS || Producer

"The Magi of the Carloth highlands are renowned for their enthusiasm and generosity."
    "Speed is far more important than size when determining the power of a strike."
    "One needs no armor if both your mind and your fist are faster than your enemy's."

Quote Originally Posted by hex_colin View Post
    Not sure I want to be logging into the forums with my game account information without the benefit of my authenticator. Too much to lose.
    Is it confirmed no authenticator access with the new forums? Doesn't the existing authenticator access go through gameforge anyway? Maybe they have plans to implement it in for a forum log-in if one chooses, or at least get there sooner as it's in the same wheel-house.

Even the current game forge account login's require auth.. So, I highly doubt it will be any different.

When this happens, might want a dedicated link to the official forums from Steam somewhere.

from one side i agree, but because i don't have Android or iOS on my phone i have to use authenticator on my PC, so now i will be able to visit forums only from home :/ because of that i wouldn't mind different login for the game and other for the forums that doesn't need auth.

Quote Originally Posted by nicosharp View Post
    Even the current game forge account login's require auth.. So, I highly doubt it will be any different.
    Shows you how long it's been since I logged into GF then.
    Hex: Shards of Fate KS || Producer

"The Magi of the Carloth highlands are renowned for their enthusiasm and generosity."
    "Speed is far more important than size when determining the power of a strike."
    "One needs no armor if both your mind and your fist are faster than your enemy's."

I don't really care about the post counts, as long as the actual content gets migrated over and is searchable/linkable. I've long given up my quest to have top post count. Quality over quantity as they say. =P

Another piece of information that i'd have liked is the url of the new forums. I've hoped for a migration to forums.hextcg.com or hextcg.com/forums or something similar. I don't particularly like the idea of it being hosted at any given company since things can happen with publishers and developers, but the game is pretty much hextcg forever.
    Last edited by Gwaer; 04-15-2016 at 11:17 AM.
    ----
    http://i.imgur.com/I1MZpF8.png
    HexEnt is too long to type, They're HXE now.
    I am currently trading my unused GK code for a new Tesla Model S P85D
    Feel free to contact me for where you can have it shipped.

TBH it's not even really the post count that bothers me. What I'm more concerned about is that if everyone starts at zero at the same time as we have a huge influx of new players, things could get really nasty around here. The forums have always had a certain amount of "voice of experience" from a smallish group of us, and it would be a shame to see that go away. And just handing out a "beta" badge to every single person who had an active account prior to the switchover doesn't really solve that, either. It's something that ought to be considered.
    --ossuary

"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
    - Shakespeare, All's Well That Ends Well