Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Forums are Dead. Long Live the Forums!

Credibility is never tied to post count. I've done a lot of stuff on these boards too, but it's time for the GameForge Assimilation. Prep cheeks for boarding.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoss View Post
    This. I really don't like that all my work here is essentially being erased and/or made anonymous. Heck, my IGN doesn't even match my CZE forum name.

I'm also not a fan of the SSO for this application. SSO is nice for a corporate intranet, not so much for a public forum over the web.

Why go to all this trouble when you're headed to Steam anyway? Just use the Steam forums? Since you're wiping our memory anyway, why merge 3 down to 2 instead of 3 down to 1?
    Honestly, I have been thinking with some major shifts in tone from Hexent as of late to disengage with the forums to a degree. This new system will either entice me to stick around, or I'll take up a more established residency in the Steam community.

Choice is good, this is a good time for it, especially with an influx of new players, us salty old dudes can cycle on out (not of the game mind you).

I find this highly disappointing. I don't like the idea of logging in over a browser with my in-game credentials, and I'd rather frequent this board than something run by Gameforge. Maybe I'll just stay on the Steam forums, provided they don't completely suck.

Also, why is there this confusing and unfriendly 'Log in as third party' nonsense when you log in? It makes no sense to me but I haven't seen anyone else comment on it.

Color me disappointed.

If it's not broke, why fix it?

Yeah, I wasn't really looking at that before, but it seems ridiculous to put the admin login by default (something 0.0001% of the userbase will need), and have EVERYONE else have to click an extra button to get to the "real" user login. That's just nonsense. Have it log you in as a regular user by default, and admins can push a special extra button that says "admin login." It's silly to do it any other way.
    --ossuary

"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
    - Shakespeare, All's Well That Ends Well

Gigantisaur
    Quote Originally Posted by hex_colin View Post
    Not sure I want to be logging into the forums with my game account information without the benefit of my authenticator. Too much to lose.
    This was my first thought too. Thankfully I use the authenticator for the game, which probably should become mandatory with this merger, no?

Yeah logging into the forumns with my account name. Yikes. I guess I can just use my alt account since I don't use it for anything important but that really is a terrible idea asking for trouble.

Gigantisaur
    Seen forum overhauls kill great communities before...
    Buying Gold 120 gold per platinum details Here

IGN ALCHEMY KICKSTARTER BACKER MEMBER OF THE UNNAMED COUNCIL

The Transcended
    The more I think about it, the more I think I'll either head over to the Steam Hex forum (which is likely to never move and hopefully won't demand my real login) or just stop bothering with this part of my community involvement. I've already spent (given the subject of this thread, perhaps "wasted" is the better word) too much of my time here anyway. If anyone would like to take over the Unofficial Features & Milestones List, let me know, otherwise I'll probably just let it fade away.

I'll still play the actual game often.

The more I think about it, the more I think I'll either head over to the Steam Hex forum (which is likely to never move and hopefully won't demand my real login) or just stop bothering with this part of my community involvement. I've already spent (given the subject of this thread, perhaps "wasted" is the better word) too much of my time here anyway. If anyone would like to take over the Unofficial Features & Milestones List, let me know, otherwise I'll probably just let it fade away.

Exactly my thoughts. If the new forum is all that it'll keep me around and involved but it's probably about time for me to disengage. I've noticed I've gotten saltier with things here as time has gone on. Maybe it's time for a new start and this is the perfect opportunity to do so. That doesn't mean I'll be playing the game any less, if anything, I'll probably be playing it more.

Yoss, I'm torn on if you should continue that list or not. I think you did an AMAZING job with it and it was such a great touchstone for the community. But I think the KS focus is going to go with the switches as of late (which is fine). That and HexEnt has taken a much more reserved stance on communicating in general with the forums which is one of the reasons I have started to lose interest in the frays here. I think the lack of engagement [in this particular manner, HexEnt still engages in other awesome ways] makes that list especially difficult for someone to put TLC into and feel like there is a good payoff.

Regardless, it was something I used to check regularly and helped with my excitement for the game, so thank you for it.