Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Forums are Dead. Long Live the Forums!

The Forums are Dead. Long Live the Forums!

https://www.hextcg.com/new-hex-forums-coming/

To set the tone on this thread, for all that want to argue 'x should have come before this', realize that A) gameforge seems to be spearheading this, not HexEnt and B) this is the exact sort of thing in software development that you can not time with things in the client, or even things like another set.

I think this is great news. We have overloaded the current forum software.

Master Theorycrafter
    It's a welcome surprise. I just hope one of the next things they change is their main website with all that horribly outdated information.

Quote Originally Posted by Erukk View Post
    It's a welcome surprise. I just hope one of the next things they change is their main website with all that horribly outdated information.
    Agreed, the front page is super confusing and convoluted and detracts from the awesome articles they publish on it. If this new forum doesn't herald a new front page set up immediately, it's still a good indicator that it is being re-evaluated and considered for a re-haul at some point probably.

Yar; I give this news 3 cheers for clearing the old info off before the influx of new players.
    Member of The Unnamed Council - the Hex TCG PvE Guild

Rock League Champion
    buh so i will lose my nice title ;( damn !
    Austrian Kickstarter & Slacker Backer | IGN: Cernz

-=] Dont mess with the bull, you gonna get the horn [=-

I don't see why they can't merge old forum accounts into new forum accounts to make our history carry over. They're cloning the posts, why can't they clone the accounts? Just give us a one-time form to attach our old accounts on each site to our new account, and make the posts from both be our account history. That way, nobody loses their post history or their post counts, it's a merging of both. No need to leave one group or the other out.
    --ossuary

"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
    - Shakespeare, All's Well That Ends Well

Quote Originally Posted by ossuary View Post
    I don't see why they can't merge old forum accounts into new forum accounts to make our history carry over. They're cloning the posts, why can't they clone the accounts? Just give us a one-time form to attach our old accounts on each site to our new account, and make the posts from both be our account history. That way, nobody loses their post history or their post counts, it's a merging of both. No need to leave one group or the other out.
    I've had direct experience with this before though I don't know anything about the new forum software. Almost always boils down to the following:

Is it possible? Probably.
    How long will it take? A real, real long time and a lot of heavy lifting. (think exporting meta-data after a custom code, refilling it, altering code so you still have dates and the correct posters, secondary and tertiary systems like PMs that are far from easy to separate even though they look like it to the user, etc. etc.)
    Is it worth going through that work? Almost certainly not.

Whatever area or group is spearheading it, the return of porting over messages to specific accounts is almost surely not worth it. We'll get over it, as they said, maybe we'll get a badge or something for all of our posts.

Also there's a whole bag of worms for what to do with someone who had accounts on both previous forums. It's just not worth the effort.

This forum merging was necessary (although I'm not convinced the GF forums were ever 'a thing' with its English section having less than 1% of the posts on these official forums). I think combining sites might make sense too but I have a feeling GF would want to do that on their own domain which I think would be confusing.

Here's hoping the forum software they used is a good choice. I have experience using something like Discourse and it's really amazing. But quotes like this doesn't exactly inspire confidence:

The Login form at the top of the pop-up is only for us: HEX Entertainment and Gameforge employees who actually need another level of access to the forums. Nothing for you to worry about.

My gut told me the forum merger would be a gameforge maintained take-over. Meh, no worries, embrace the change.