Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: RIP Forums Giveaway

There have been a lot of fantastic threads, discussions, and jokes in these forums over the last three years. But by far one of my favorite things was seeing the devs get in on the act. It really made the place feel more warm and familial; it's something you just don't see very often anymore. In particular, I really liked when Chark got in character. Like this time, when he offered us a business opportunity that was too good to pass up.

Is good deal, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Chark View Post
    So… I sink you be looking to part vays vis some gold for precious Stardust, da? Vell, you come to right place. This dust fall off cart. I am villink to part vays vis little of my personal supply. Send 100 gold to HEXChark in ze mail, and name vill be entered for a chance at one of every kind of Startdust rarity. Send 200 gold and you increase your, shall I say, chances at getting Stardust. Go ahead, send much gold as you vant, I not judge.

If I is get 100.000 gold, I vill look in list of “associates” and select four individuals to receive ze precious cargo and all you is get to see spoiled card. If I is get 200.000 gold, number of lucky associates increase to eight….and so on. Ve see. Because of little time I have, this offer only available by two days from now.

Now remember… send that gold to HEXChark and make sure you typed it right. Davai, Davai!

As Stardust is hard to move… please to vait a vhile for delivery. But you trust me. I am businessman. For vhere ze gold flows, I follow… is good for business. To keep honest, I vill let you see how much I made at various intervals, check here: https://www.hextcg.com/charks-stash/

Sanks!

Chark, Hired Horn Elite
    Edit: note to any newcomers, this deal is LONG over, don't send Chark your gold.
    --ossuary

"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
    - Shakespeare, All's Well That Ends Well

Sensei of the Wounded Petal
    I'm still of fan of my card in Funktion's & Mokog's Avatar of Cowardice card design contest. http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=47726

Quote Originally Posted by ThrawnOmega View Post
    Brave Sir Robin
    Attachment 4212

3 -

Troop - Avatar of Cowardice

3 Atk, 3 Def, SPEED

MUST ATTACK. When Brave Sir Robin becomes blocked, he returns to your hand, and is replaced by a Body Double. The troop blocking Brave Sir Robin deals its combat damage to Body Double.

"When danger reared it's ugly head, he bravely turned his tail and fled. Bravest of the brave, Sir Robin!" -From the chronicles of Lord Monty of Python.

Body Double
    0 Atk, 1 Def
    Attachment 4213
    "Come here and take what's coming to you!"
    Are you a HEX player who lives in Minnesota? PM ME! Trying to make a roster of local players for face-to-face casual and competitive play.

as a dev, this is also the best post for me in this forum, hands down

http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthr...572#post504572

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Woods View Post
    Aw, there's something behind me, isn't there? was the first thing what went through my head when I locked the branch for shipping last week. We'd heard a smattering of reports about memory problems, but we couldn't see it internally, and we couldn't show it was happening en masse.

Then an email showed up later Friday, and it was pretty clear we had a major problem. So, I wanted to hop in here and try to explain this whole memory leak thing, and why it was such a big deal -- both to solve as well as to try to figure out.

It all really boils down to how Unity is inherently designed. Unity's core philosophy of what a game "is" can be described easiest as "like Doom". Essentially, a game is a series of unique levels that a player progress through, and Unity's asset system only wants to have things available for the current "level". Once you beat E1M1, Unity unloads that level and loads E1M2. Then you're thrust back into shooting Imps and looking for the BFG.

In TCGs this makes a whole lot less sense. The closest to "levels" we have is different screens. You go to Deck Editor, or Tournaments, or a game. So, we have built into our system that those are "levels".

With that, comes level assets. These are the geometry, textures, sounds, and other rendering bits associated with a level. Once you "leave" a level, you unload that levels assets. Then you load the assets for the new level you're entering, and presto. Since "levels" are "screens" to us, what's happening on the client looks like this:

+-------[Exit Screen]-------+-------[Load Screen]-------+
    +---[Unload Assets]---+ . . +---[Load Assets]---+

Normally exiting a screen and unloading it's assets are coupled, but at some point in development we decoupled unloading and loading screens from unloading and loading screen assets. The only requirement for the destination screen was "all the assets are ready before you start rendering".

So what's a "screen asset" (level asset)? Well, basically everything that has to do with rendering cards is in those screen assets. So, that's all of the art ever.

This wasn't really a "problem", per say, except it was really inefficient. Swapping from the Deck Editor to the General Lobby would be very expensive, but it wasn't a "problem".

Well, it was't until that [Unload Assets] bar was longer then that [Exit Screen] bar.

This has actually probably already been a problem for some users with machines slower then the ones we have access to for testing and development, but it just never showed up on our radar. It wasn't until Set 3 and Extended Art made the asset size large enough that we started to see it.

When [Unload Assets] takes longer then [Exit Screen], Mr. [Load Assets] gets into the mix, and believe me, Mrs. [Unload Assets] and Mr. [Load Assets] are not on speaking terms. If the two of them are going at the same time, and we're trying to unload Set 1 while we are also trying to load set 1, it gets crazy.

What ends up happening is [Load Assets] tells [Unload Assets] "Hey, could you, um, stop deleting those cards? Because I'm going to need them." [Unload Assets] does this, but in the most passive-aggressive way possible. It just literally stops. Mid job. Then [Load Assets] has a partial library floating around, and he can't use that. So he loads a new copy.

Nobody ever unloads that partial copy that's left over, though.

So, the guts of the bug are actually pretty simple: If you switch screens and the new screen loads faster then the assets of the old screen take to unload, you end up wasting memory with a partial set of assets the previous screen used.

Every time you switch screens.

Every. Stupid. Time.

Once this was identified, the solution was really, really easy:
    - Figure out what assets the leaving screen has the new screen also wants
    - Remove those from what [Unload Assets] is going to unload
    - Do everything else normally.

The results of finding and fixing this bug have been enormous, actually. Deck Editor is significantly faster now, screen swapping is much smoother, and any time we "flip" a card (eg, pack opening) doesn't really require the asset to be found at the last minute. It's made things a whole lot cleaner.

All because Mr. [Load Assets] and Mrs. [Unload Assets] had a little spat over who was putting away the dishes. Honestly, with that much tension in the relationship, I'm shocked Mrs. [Unload Assets] kept Mr. [Load Assets] last name.

Almost home.

Chris Woods

https://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=48577

I think this initiative is the best thing going on the forums. Mad props to everyone who has worked on the project and for those who brought it up to begin with.

I thought about hunting down some huge posts from the early days with us all arguing with one another about every little thing but I instead went for the beginning of the journey, at least for me and hex.

http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=23818

My first thread that started it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwaer View Post
    People can be complete jerks, looking at some of the responses on these forums, that is still holding true. It's pretty much a necessity to consider that in an online community there are going to be bad apples. I can't say that the TCG community as a whole is worse than say the MOBA types, but the possibility is there.

My concerns are twofold:
    Is this game being developed with online play in mind, and how it can bring out the worst in people, are there built in tools for dealing with people that are giving you a hard time for whatever reason/ignore lists that also stop you from ending up in random situations(drafts, dungeons) with those people, etc.

Also, are there incentives in place to reward strangers for working well together, especially in PVE.
    And my focus never really changed. I've spent the last three years trying to subtly and occasionally not so subtly guide this community and game in a positive direction. I can only hope that in the end my influence has been a positive one.

Edit 1: That zophie post with all the effects ignoring that guy though... that was quality television.

Edit 2:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducklett View Post
    https://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=48577

I think this initiative is the best thing going on the forums. Mad props to everyone who has worked on the project and for those who brought it up to begin with.
    I agree ducklett, i'm still trying to work out a way to really get some support up for rewarding people for putting their time into that particular project. It's definitely the community at its best.
    Last edited by Gwaer; 04-15-2016 at 08:56 PM.
    ----
    http://i.imgur.com/I1MZpF8.png
    HexEnt is too long to type, They're HXE now.
    I am currently trading my unused GK code for a new Tesla Model S P85D
    Feel free to contact me for where you can have it shipped.

Some old KS thread trolling done well:
    Quote Originally Posted by OmarEpps View Post
    This evening Hex team member HexRex was in the Beta chat and dropped some surprising hints that personally I find pretty controversial.

1) Cory wants to implement some sort of auto-backrub feature? What the frick is this? 100% HexRex did not deny that this may be a feature in the future.

2) Auction House may or may not sell people. Seriously if they sell people I will be quitting the game.

3) Apparently the Hex team has been reading our e-mails that we send to them. Um, does anyone else find this a little f'd up? Invasion of privacy much? I have a huge blog about the Patriot Act I would cut and paste here if IT WASN'T A PRIVATE DOCUMENT.
    Also nice one from Yasi:
    Quote Originally Posted by Yasi View Post
    For the reasons below, I will not be playing HexTCG. Goodbye Kyle-nechan.

1. 450 ಗೆ ಪೂರ್ವಭಾವಿಯಾಗಿ ಕಾಯಿಸಲೆಂದು ಒವನ್ ° ಎಫ್

2. ಸಿಪ್ಪೆ ಮತ್ತು ವೆಜ್ಗಳು ಮತ್ತು ತಿಂದ ಗಾತ್ರದ ತುಂಡುಗಳಾಗಿ ನಿಮ್ಮ ತರಕಾರಿಗಳು ಕೊಚ್ಚು. ಕೋಳಿ ಫಾರ್ ಹಾಸಿಗೆಯ ಮಾಡಲು ಪ್ಯಾನ್ ಕೆಳಗೆ ಇನ್ನೂ ಪದರದಲ್ಲಿ ಅವುಗಳನ್ನು ವ್ಯವಸ್ಥೆ. ಮೆಣಸು ಒಂದು ಟೀ ಚಮಚ ಬಗ್ಗೆ ಬೆರೆಸಿ ಉಪ್ಪು ಒಂದು ಚಮಚ ಸುಮಾರು, ಉಪ್ಪು ಮತ್ತು ಮೆಣಸು ಸಿದ್ಧ ಒಂದು ಚಿಕ್ಕ ಬಟ್ಟಲನ್ನು ಹೊಂದಿರುತ್ತವೆ.

3. ಸಿಂಕ್ ಮೇಲೆ, ನಿಮ್ಮ ಚಿಕನ್ ಸುಮಾರು ಪ್ಲಾಸ್ಟಿಕ್ ಸುತ್ತುವುದನ್ನು (ಇದು ಇನ್ನೂ ಅಪ್ ಸುತ್ತಿ ವಿಶೇಷವೇನು ವೇಳೆ) ಕತ್ತರಿಸಿ ಪ್ಲಾಸ್ಟಿಕ್ ಸಿಕ್ಕಿಬಿದ್ದ ಯಾವುದೇ ರಸವನ್ನು ಅಥವಾ ರಕ್ತದ ಔಟ್ ಹರಿಸುತ್ತವೆ. ಕೋಳಿ ದೇಹದ ಕುಳಿ ಒಳಗೆ ತಲುಪಲು ಮತ್ತು giblets ಆಫ್ ಚೀಲ ತೆಗೆದು. giblets ಷೇರಿಗೆ ತ್ಯಜಿಸಲ್ಪಟ್ಟ, ಉಳಿಸಲ್ಪಟ್ಟ, ಅಥವಾ ನಂತರ ಮಾಂಸರಸ ಮಾಡಲು ಬಳಸಬಹುದು.

4. ಕೋಳಿ ಪೇಪರ್ ಟವೆಲ್ ಅಥವಾ ಒಂದು ಅಡಿಗೆ ಚಿಂದಿ ಅತ್ಯಂತ ಸಂಪೂರ್ಣವಾಗಿ ಬತ್ತಿ ಪ್ಯಾಟ್. ರೆಕ್ಕೆಗಳು ಅಥವಾ ಕಾಲುಗಳ ಹಿಂದೆ ಯಾವುದೇ ದ್ರವ ಹೀರಿಕೊಳ್ಳಲು ಖಚಿತಪಡಿಸಿಕೊಳ್ಳಿ. ಒಳಗೆ ಮತ್ತು ಔಟ್, ನೀವು ಮಾಹಿತಿ ಒಣ ಮಾಹಿತಿ ಕೋಳಿ ಪಡೆಯುವಲ್ಲಿ, ತುಂಬಾ ದೇಹದ ಕುಳಿ ಒಳಗೆ ಬ್ಲಾಟ್.

5. ಆಲಿವ್ ಎಣ್ಣೆ ಅಥವಾ ಬೆಣ್ಣೆ ಜೊತೆ ಚಿಕನ್ ಅಳಿಸಿಬಿಡು. ಸ್ತನ ಮತ್ತು ಡ್ರಮ್ಸ್ಟಿಕ್ಗಳ ವಿಶೇಷ ಗಮನ ಪಾವತಿ, ಎಲ್ಲಾ ಕೋಳಿ ಮೇಲೆ ಎಣ್ಣೆ ಅಥವಾ ಬೆಣ್ಣೆ ಅಳಿಸಿಬಿಡು.

6. ಉಪ್ಪು ಮತ್ತು ಮೆಣಸು ಜೊತೆ ಉದಾರವಾಗಿ ಕೋಳಿ ಹೊರಗೆ ತುಂತುರು ಅಲ್ಲದೇ ಕುಳಿಯ ಒಳಗೆ ಸ್ವಲ್ಪ ಉಪ್ಪು ಮತ್ತು ಮೆಣಸು ಅಳಿಸಿಬಿಡು.

7. ಬಯಸಿದ ವೇಳೆ, ಅರೆ ತೋಳಿನ ನಿಂಬೆಹಣ್ಣು, ಬೆಳ್ಳುಳ್ಳಿ ಇಡೀ ಲವಂಗ, ಅಥವಾ ಗಿಡಮೂಲಿಕೆಗಳೊಂದಿಗೆ ಕೋಳಿ ಒಳಗೆ ವಿಷಯವೂ.

8. ತರಕಾರಿಗಳನ್ನು ಹಾಸಿಗೆಯ ಮೇಲೆ ಕೋಳಿ ಸ್ತನ ಸೈಡ್ ಅಪ್ ಸೆಟ್. ಕೋಳಿ ತರಕಾರಿಗಳು ಮೂಲಕ ಪ್ಯಾನ್ ಮೇಲೆ ಒಂದು ಇಂಚು ಅಥವಾ ಎರಡು ತೆಗೆಯಲಾಗಿದೆ ಮಾಡಬೇಕು.

9. ಒಲೆಯಲ್ಲಿ ಕೋಳಿ ಪಕ್ಕಾ 400 ಒಲೆಯಲ್ಲಿ ತಾಪಮಾನ ಕಡಿಮೆ ° ಎಫ್

10. 1 ಗಂಟೆ ಒಂದು ಟೈಮರ್ ಹೊಂದಿಸಿ ಮತ್ತು ನಿಮ್ಮ ವ್ಯಾಪಾರ ಬಗ್ಗೆ ಹೋಗಿ.

11. ಕೋಳಿ ತನ್ನ ತೊಡೆಯ ಆಫ್ meatiest ಭಾಗದಲ್ಲಿ ತ್ವರಿತ-ಓದಲು ಥರ್ಮಾಮೀಟರ್ ಸೇರಿಸುವ ಮೂಲಕ ಮಾಡಲಾಗುತ್ತದೆ ವೇಳೆ ಒಂದು ಗಂಟೆ ನಂತರ ಪರಿಶೀಲಿಸಿ. ಕೋಳಿ ಮಾಡಬೇಕು ಆಂತರಿಕ ತಾಪಮಾನ ಕನಿಷ್ಠ 165 ° ಇರಬೇಕು. ನೀವು ಅಡಿಯಲ್ಲಿ ಆಗಿದ್ದರೆ, ಮತ್ತೊಂದು 5 ರಿಂದ 10 ನಿಮಿಷಗಳ ಕಾಲ ಬೇಯಿಸಿ ಮತ್ತು ಮತ್ತೆ ಅದನ್ನು ಪರೀಕ್ಷಿಸಲು ಅದನ್ನು ಮುಂದೂಡಲಾಗಿದೆ.

12. ಸುಮಾರು 15 ನಿಮಿಷಗಳ ಕಾಲ ಚಿಕನ್ ಉಳಿದ ಲೆಟ್. ಈ ಸಮಯದಲ್ಲಿ, ನೀವು ಮಾಂಸರಸ ಮಾಡಲು ಪ್ಯಾನ್ ರಸವನ್ನು ಒಂದು ಸಲಾಡ್ ಅಥವಾ ಭಕ್ಷ್ಯ ಅಥವಾ ಪೊರಕೆ ಕೆಲವು ಹಿಟ್ಟು ತಯಾರು ಮಾಡಬಹುದು. ನೀವು ಪ್ಯಾನ್ ರಲ್ಲಿ ಬಿಟ್ಟು ಕೋಳಿ ಕೊಬ್ಬನ್ನು ಕೋಳಿ ಕೆಳಗಿರುವ ಹುರಿದ ತರಕಾರಿಗಳು ಔಟ್ ಎತ್ತುವ, ಮತ್ತು ತುಂಬಾ ಒಂದು ಭಕ್ಷ್ಯ ಎಂದು ಪೂರೈಸುತ್ತದೆ.

13. ಕೋಳಿ ಕೊರೆಯಲು ಮತ್ತು ಸೇವೆ. (ನಾಳೆ ಒಂದು ಹುರಿದ ಕೋಳಿಮಾಂಸ ಕೊರೆಯಲು ಬಗ್ಗೆ ಒಂದು ಆಳವಾದ ಟ್ಯುಟೋರಿಯಲ್ ನೋಡಿ!)
    http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=25075
    Last edited by nicosharp; 04-15-2016 at 09:04 PM.

Doh! shoulda quoted the yasi contest that i won a king tier in that he never paid out on =/ missed opportunities.
    ----

I put a ton of effort into this one, so I thought I'd bring it up. The hunt for all the puns was fun to watch

Will this PVE Plant Deck Take Root?
    Stay, men and women, and read of my PVE Plant deck!

If you feel like you've outgrown your typical decks and want to branch out but feel stumped, here's a PVE Plant deck that'll provide relief:

Champion: Elf Cleric

Talents (in order of purchase): Hale, Healing Aura, Aura Aspect: Animation, Aura Aspect: Good Karma, The Righteous Path

2x The Ancestors' Chosen [Head: Crown of the Ancient Kings]
    3x Howling Brave
    2x Arcane Focus
    2x Briarpatch
    3x Briarpatch Conjuror [Trinket: Briarpatch Bracelet]
    2x Cerulean Mirror Knight
    3x Rhythmic Spiritualist [Feet: Spiritualist Sandals: When a troop enters your deck, that troop gets: "When this enters play, draw a card"]
    2x Wolsy Wabbit
    2x Rites of the Tranquil Dream
    2x Dreamsmoke Mystic
    3x Plant Garden
    3x Titania's Majesty (Flight Gem)
    1x Yesterday
    3x Balthasar
    2x Heart of the Wrathwood

4x Shard of Instinct
    13x Wild Shard
    8x Sapphire Shard

The inspiration for this deck sprouted from reading the description of Spiritualist Sandals. Seed my deck with cantripping Briar Legions? Yes. Draw an Ancestral Specter with "draw two cards" sporadically? Wow. That equip solves the thorniest problem of my previous Briar deck incarnation: too much sowing not enough reaping, making you feel like you're always pedaling uphill.

Another problem with Briar decks stems from their early tempo deficit due to weak low cost Troops and Constants that need to germinate. Having a guaranteed 3/3 for 3 (at Quick speed) in Soul Vessel ready to ambush an early rush really nips that problem in the bud.

Being able to reliably defend yourself from aggro allows you to cultivate your deck with Briarpatch Conjuror, Ancestors' Chosen, and Rhythmic Spiritualist until it truly blossoms. Use Dreamsmoke Mystic to prune your draw and Titania's Majesty, Arcane Focus, and Rites of the Tranquil Dream to both pluck Troops out of your deck AND to plant them back in, which triggers Rhythmic Spiritualist's equip ability.

My Elf Cleric's low level is soiling my opportunity to unleash this deck's full potential, but that won't erode my enthusiasm. Soon, my PVE Plant deck and I will embark upon an epic quest to farm all that PVE loot!

Master Theorycrafter
    Jeez. What to pick. The yeti thread? The charity stream thread? The collection of Coyotle signs/Arachnomicon excerpts? One of the many contests we've had on these forums?

Wait, no, I have it. Gwaer's mini forum contest declaration:

Quote Originally Posted by Gwaer View Post
    That an upcoming PVE card will be perhaps unintentionally paying homage to the true meaning of KB, or at the very least deciboners? Or I suppose more precisely sedeciboners... Anyone want to post the picture of the card in question?

I'll send the first person to throw up the image of that card a set 1 pack.
    ...which brought to my attention the PVE spoiler we were apparently all waiting for.

(This. Is. Deliberate. You will NOT convince me otherwise.)
    Last edited by Flairina; 04-15-2016 at 09:36 PM.
    IGN: Legan

I was definitely too heavy handed with that, should have just left it at KB. =P But that card is amazing.
    ----