Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: PvE Gameplay mechanic making it frustrating to play

Quote Originally Posted by Fateanomaly View Post
    Using the 60 minimum cards and only 1-2 shards for consistency is like basic logic. If they can't even figure that out by themselves, they wouldn't be going very far.
    You have to understand that soon bunch of new players will come. Mainly from Heartsone where they don't even know what shards/lands are. You won't see any MtG player saying these kind of things.

@zolop, as noted early, the resource problem you're having was due to poor deck construction (no offense intended). I'm curious to know how it's going now though? Did increasing the resources to 40%-42% help you?

Some resource starve/flood happens from time to time--it happens to everyone, but try to balance your deck with these potential situations in mind.

What else do you have in your deck? Perhaps we can help you get the most out of HEX by providing tips for your specific deck

Quote Originally Posted by hex_colin View Post
    Which just leads to curve screw...
    I am not as familiar with TCGs as some. Doesn't Hex currently have both shard and curve screw? Removing shard screw leaves you with ONLY curve screw. The fact is shard screw currently obfuscates curve screw but it is still there. Drawing all of my 1 or 2 drops is almost as bad as drawing a bunch of shards at the end game but currently I get to say "At least it wasn't a shard".

Or am I missing something.

Quote Originally Posted by Chadatog View Post
    They did break away from the tradition of the WOW TCG resource system that Cryptozoic developed for many years.
    To be pedantic, the WoW TCG resource system was developed by Upper Deck Entertainment (though many of the UDE folks did go on to be a part of Cryptozoic, there is a differentiation). Specifically, Mike Hummel, Danny Mandel and Brian Kibler (none of whom I believe where part of Cryptozoic, each of them having departed UDE prior to its . . . parting of ways with the WoW TCG).

Also, I have an interview with Ben Stoll (which he was kind enough to take time during the 100k Invitational to do) that's waiting on a review from HexEnt that goes in depth on the topic of the Hex resource system. While it did not change my mind significantly regarding the resource system, it does show Ben and the rest of the design team spent (and still spend) a lot of time thinking about it and the decisions they make are not made lightly.

Quote Originally Posted by hex_colin View Post
    Which just leads to curve screw...
    Actually, I believe the concern here was more than simply "not hitting your curve". As I understand it (and I could be wrong and am happy for someone from HexEnt to correct me), the inherent flaw wasn't necessarily missing your drop, but having chosen early in the game to use a high drop as a resource, then not being able to play that high drop later in the game.

"If only I hadn't had to bury my Azgalor early on I'd have had you"

This was similarly an issue with the Vs card game (on which the WoW TCG was partly based), but was mitigated in Vs by the amount of character search in the game. . . . though this led to some teams without hard character search effectively being under powered and generic hard character search cards being very expensive/highly sought after.

Thus endeth the "Geez, Granpa, you really played games with actual cards? What was that like" portion of the conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by dogmod View Post
    I am not as familiar with TCGs as some. Doesn't Hex currently have both shard and curve screw? Removing shard screw leaves you with ONLY curve screw. The fact is shard screw currently obfuscates curve screw but it is still there. Drawing all of my 1 or 2 drops is almost as bad as drawing a bunch of shards at the end game but currently I get to say "At least it wasn't a shard".

You're correct, but are missing that the main thrust of that argument is rarely "the total amount of randomness remains the same" but that "you still end up losing games because of random draws". It's mean to counetr the idea that "games decided by your opening hand" wouldn't hapen if it weren't for the re4source system.

IMO what's wrong with the WoW TCG's resource system is that it's designed around being able to decide what card to throw away to play your other cards, and that's not a fun interaction. You can see how much people hate having to discard a card, and it's similar to having to discard a card every turn. It's fine for the subset of players who derive their fun directly from the competition aspect of gameplay who enjoy making the winning move because it's the winning move, but it pisses off casual and new players who don't want to have to "throw away" their "big guys" to play their "little guys".

Hearthstone is IMO a case study in the other issue, which is that you want a certain amount of randomness when targeting a broad audience and curve screw alone isn't up to the task. Hearthstone solves that by adding randomness to the effects of cards. Hex does it with the resource system. And hex's choice has other effects in deck-building where there tend to be soft blocks on comboing certain cards rather than Hearthstones' hard class based system (you can play kill, peek, and resurrection in the same deck, you probably shouldn't but you can).

Quote Originally Posted by dogmod View Post

Hearthstone, you run into a problem that the mana curve is always the same. While you can view upon it as good, it still does something to the game. Now every deck that cant run mana ramp (aka non-druids) all have the same mana curve... okay so who has the best all around curve now? Who has the best early/mid/late game creatures? It's why you see the same 4 classes over and over... Paladin...Warrior...Druid, and Mage was 90% of my games, and trying to play anything else felt like a waste of time as I was pretty much going to lose if I went up against the popular Control/Patron Warrior, Secret Paladin, Frost Mage, Mid Range Druid decks.