Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PvE Gameplay mechanic making it frustrating to play

PvE Gameplay mechanic making it frustrating to play

This relates to PvE content, in particular the dungeon system and the battles in the campaign. In the dungeons it does multiply the frustration of simply playing Hex Shards of Fate. From my point of view it doesn't do anything at all to evolve or grow the transition into a Digital trading Card game.

The decks with 36%-38% resources I am getting mostly having resource starved or resource abundance with my card draws, even after multiple muligans. Now when you have only 3 lives in a dungeon to navigate it, this is where the frustration multiplies. This does not make me interested in playing HEX, in fact it turns me off from recommending it to other people and stops me wanting to play it more (or at all) during the week.

Please refrain from thinking I want the game to be easy, I want the game to be challenging and to lose only because I played horribly, not because I got resource starved or in too much abundance. If people don't want this in PvP, then just keep it in PvE... Will make a post in the suggestion forum. I do enjoy playing complicated games like sword of the stars 2, arma 3, total war games series,

If people are against this in PvP, it can be added only to PvE
    At the start of a battle during a PvE playthrough, specifically the campaign battles, allow each player to seperate basic resource cards into a separate draw pile. Allow then each player to draw from the resource pile only 1 time per turn. Any cards that would modify basic resources, would let the owner of the action modify either of his digital card piles (resource and deck)

There is no good gameplay or mechanic being resource starved / abundance as I really don't see how it can play into this DTCG. Making a random chance to have a player have a complete loss not of his own doing, only frustrates the player.

Can someone explain to me how being resource starve /abundance beings a interesting gameplay mechanic to HEX? How does it evolve the game in the Digital era of our generation? How does a percentage chance of losing (due to resource abundance/starve draws), not at the fault of the player, bring enjoyment? In what way does it bring a interesting challenge to the game? Maybe I am missing something, I just really don't see it? Why do we still need this mechanic (resource abundance/starve in first and subsequent draws) in HEX?

Suggestion Link
    http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthr...842#post567842
    Last edited by zolop; 04-16-2016 at 06:45 PM.

Sensei of the Wounded Petal
    We already get a free mulligan in PvE, I find it hard since that change to be flooded or screwed consistently.

I might have trouble 1 time in a full arena run. All I can advise is that you post the deck and someone can maybe point you in the right direction. Without knowing the deck people cant help.

Also, you should be using 40-42% resources too. 24-25 shards depending on thresholds, etc. Unless you've got a weenie aggro deck. Charge powers exist to mitigate flood so you generally are happy with more resources that the "other" game.
    Hex: Shards of Fate KS || Producer

"The Magi of the Carloth highlands are renowned for their enthusiasm and generosity."
    "Speed is far more important than size when determining the power of a strike."
    "One needs no armor if both your mind and your fist are faster than your enemy's."

This is one of those things that definitely takes some getting used to, much like those other games you talked about. I'd suggest that you give it a chance, and maybe do some research about learning good mulligan strategies and how to build decks that will have successful resource bases. It may seem right now like it is ruining the game, but I think if you give it a bit more of a chance, you'll come to realize that the resource system is a key part of the strategy of the game. You might not have control over individual draws, and you will every once in a while lose a game due to resources, but you'll also have a lot more exciting games than you would if the resource system was over-simplified.

Quote Originally Posted by primer View Post
    We already get a free mulligan in PvE, I find it hard since that change to be flooded or screwed consistently.

I might have trouble 1 time in a full arena run. All I can advise is that you post the deck and someone can maybe point you in the right direction. Without knowing the deck people cant help.
    Even after a free muligan, subsequent draws I get the same result. To be fair though my decks run between 36-38% resources. I will try to go at 40%, but that is when I usually get more resource abundance draws. I have almost 20 cards that give me different types of resources, its a 4 color deck. About 1/3 is artifacts, including creatures.

Just wish you guys put more thought into the resource system, making it unique and evolved / designed differently / unique so that resource floods / resource starvation could not be possible, so that every game it was up to the player to win, not a old gameplay mechanic.

Not saying HEX should become faeria, but when I talk about a more in depth resource system...
    https://www.faeria.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdVuWMap5lg

old Video... didn't realize the date...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4jG58Dpy4I

I do really enjoy a lot about HEX, better prices on digital cards than MTGO, going to have a Clan vault for people that want to borrow a clan deck, Be able to create a HEX community clan, have PvE content, Spinning the wheel of fate, PvE cards, Auction house, etc , this is just the one thing that I find frustrating, resource floods/resource starvations (because its not a win/lost based on skill/planning/deck-building, just on pure luck).

Side note: how is the work coming on the community features that were promised to the backers from the kickstarter a while back? Has the new work on the set of digital cards slowed the progress on the kickstarter features promised? The exciting feature for me with PvE is that it could be developed into Co-Op so I can play this game with my brother.
    Last edited by zolop; 04-16-2016 at 07:18 PM.

That's why you get 3 lives and free mulligans if there was no "autolose" you would get 1 life no free mulligan. The double deck approach is interesting as a single encounter or dungeon when they have time to go to that length for the sake of fun or the tools make it easier but its not going to be a pve format change ever so give up on that idea right now.
    Member of The Unnamed Council - the Hex TCG PvE Guild
    Twice as nice as i seem and ten times as friendly.

Sensei of the Wounded Petal
    Quote Originally Posted by zolop View Post
    Just wish you guys put more thought into the resource system, making it unique and evolved / designed differently / unique so that resource floods / resource starvation could not be possible, so that every game it was up to the player to win, not a old gameplay mechanic.
    They wouldn't change it in Alpha, they aren't going to change it now. Just gotta deal with it.

Once again post the deck here. People will tell you why you are having problems.

Quote Originally Posted by zolop View Post
    Even after a free muligan, subsequent draws I get the same result. To be fair though my decks run between 36-38% resources. I will try to go at 40%, but that is when I usually get more resource abundance draws. I have almost 20 cards that give me different types of resources, its a 4 color deck. About 1/3 is artifacts, including creatures.
    Yeah, you'll need at least 26 resources to begin to run 4 colors in HEX. The fixing will improve again with Set 4.

Bottom line, you're using far too few resources, in a game that doesn't yet really support that many different thresholds in the same deck (yet!). It's not surprising you're having issues.
    Hex: Shards of Fate KS || Producer

"The Magi of the Carloth highlands are renowned for their enthusiasm and generosity."
    "Speed is far more important than size when determining the power of a strike."
    "One needs no armor if both your mind and your fist are faster than your enemy's."

Quote Originally Posted by hex_colin View Post
    Yeah, you'll need at least 26 resources to begin to run 4 colors in HEX. The fixing will improve again with Set 4.

Bottom line, you're using far too few resources, in a game that doesn't yet really support that many different thresholds in the same deck (yet!). It's not surprising you're having issues.
    true, but its not getting specific colors issue. I will admit that does happen rarely though,

Quote Originally Posted by primer View Post
    They wouldn't change it in Alpha, they aren't going to change it now. Just gotta deal with it.

Once again post the deck here. People will tell you why you are having problems.
    Going to try it with 40% resources as suggested, don't need to post otherwise. Though thank you for offering help Primer!

it is suboptimal gameplay, but it's not as bad in PVE

you get to abuse the free mulligan.
    you can play extra resources than you would in PVP decks because the AI doesn't actually know how to play a game where card advantage might matter