Tournament Ideas for Arrow Crossover Pack

Hey everyone,

We are in the planning stages for our next Tournament in Denver, Colorado and we need your help! We are looking to run a tournament using the Arrow Crossover Pack and we are brainstorming ideas for how to ensure it runs smoothly and in a fair way to all players.

Now traditionally, we run multiple "pods" of 3 to 4 players that are mixed between rounds so players compete against a variety of opponents. Within each pod is one main set and a crossover pack. What we would normally do is have the 3 to 4 players roll a die to see who the first player is and then we run through a clockwise round of banning an available over-sized character and then counterclockwise picking of each player's character. Once each person has their over-sized character, the first player can start their turn and flip over the initial Line-Up.

We run into an issue with the Arrow Crossover Pack since there are only 5 available over-sized characters which means the banning and picking option is out with the 3/4 player pods. It is also hard to substitute in characters from other sets as the "under the character" mechanic for the Arrow Pack is unique and may not balance out properly with the outside characters. I wanted to solicit then ideas for how to run the character selection aspect of the tournament and find out what players would prefer.

There was a thought to maybe run through VP bidding before character selection. What this would mean is each player would secretly write down an amount of VP they would subtract from their score for the round in favor of higher picking order for their character. For example: Player A selects 5 VP, Player B selects 0 VP and Player C selects 8 VP. In this case, Player C would choose their character first, then Player A and finally Player B. Play would then start either with random selection of first player or maybe the player to the left of Player C would go first... I haven't thought about that yet. Each player would then subtract that VP from their total when the game ends and the Tournament Points would be awarded as normal for the round. In this scenario though I feel like a max bid would be necessary (such as 20 VP) and I would assume if two or more players bid the same amount they would just roll to see who picks first.

With that, what are peoples thoughts? I am open to any suggestions or comments. The tournament most likely will not run until the beginning of July so we have some time to get this right.
    DC COMICS DECK BUILDING GAME FAN!!!

Devoted Emissary
    I think rolling off and last pick going first would probably be the best way to do it. Games can run so close in VP sometimes that it would really suck to have someone default a win based off of a "pick bid".
    Lead Designer of Teen Titans & Arrow Crossover Pack

That's the simplest solution, I think, and far less potentially harmful. I'd be happier playing under that ruling.

If you went with the VP bidding, I'd probably just bid 0 every round and just take what I get.

I think it would be fair to run it the way StormKing is describing. I have heard from so may people that certain Arrow characters *cough* Felicity Smoak *cough* can be very powerful and I was looking at a potential way to counteract whoever wants to grab those characters from having a defined advantage (hence the VP bid). If people feel comfortable with last person pick first then I am fine to run that for the tournament.

Devoted Emissary
    Quote Originally Posted by BenJazz View Post
    I think it would be fair to run it the way StormKing is describing. I have heard from so may people that certain Arrow characters *cough* Felicity Smoak *cough* can be very powerful and I was looking at a potential way to counteract whoever wants to grab those characters from having a defined advantage (hence the VP bid). If people feel comfortable with last person pick first then I am fine to run that for the tournament.
    Honestly, Felicity Smoak can FEEL powerful because her reward is so high, but she's also the easiest character to hate on. She needs multiple heroes to get going, don't let her get them. In a tournament setting, players should understand that and if they're first picking her, everyone else should be buying up the heroes before she can get them. After a few rounds of not getting heroes, Felicity tends to fall off hard compared to the rest of the characters.
    Lead Designer of Teen Titans & Arrow Crossover Pack

Thanks for the great input StormKing!

On a side note, I was able to get my playgroup together and try out some different methods for character selection. We found that randomly selecting the first player, having that player start a clockwise selection of Arrow characters and then conducting the standard ban and pick cycle with the first player again (from the characters associated with the main deck for that round) worked well to balance off the first pick of the Arrow characters. We may look at running the entire tournament with two characters per player to keep that balance. There were some concerns about having that same player then go first in the game so I was in-between having them still go first or just randomly selecting a first player afterwards. If players have thoughts on this, please let me know.
    Last edited by BenJazz; 06-10-2016 at 07:10 AM.