DC all-mixed-set play

We own nearly all of the DC DBG materials (base sets, Crossovers, and Crisis, just not Rivals as we never play 1v1). We also own all the Hobbit/LoTR materials. Whenever we want to play a DBG, the first issue is which genre to play with, and then which of the games (or two games if we mix a set). We came up with a campaign-mode of play for the Hobbit/LotR that I may type up at some other time, but it typically takes 3 nights to get through, and it has us using all the materials at one point during the campaign.

A few months ago I started looking for a way to combine all the DC games into one large amount of play, and also to make things more competitive, more random and thoroughly play through all of the games.

I discovered this set of rules to do so at
    NrdFeed.com.

The concept is simple: remove all the OP cards and various other low-use cards, and then shuffle all the remaining Main Decks together. S-V are randomly picked from all materials. S-H are then selected with a tiered-value draft-style pick, with each player having 6 points to spend and can end up with 2-6 S-H. "S-V" cards are the enemy stack to defeat (so from the FE base, this will actually be the normal sized Super Hero's). "S-H" cards are the oversized cards (so from FE base, this will actually be Super Villains). All game text is interpreted logically (S-V on FE cards means oversized cards, and S-H on FE means enemy stack).

Our additional twist are these:

During the S-H draft, each tier-selection level starts with a new die roll to see who goes first next tier-selection level.

We completely randomize and split all of the Main Deck into 5 roughly equal piles which are placed next to one of the 5 path locations. Each path card replenishes from the Main Deck pile next to it. When an action calls for the Main Deck to be used, the player whose turn it is picks which of the 5 piles will be used to select cards from. This can make for interesting twists as when a Main Deck top card is revealed, we leave it face up on tha Main Deck until needed - so in this play with 5 Main Deck piles, a pile with a previously-revealed top card could be avoided By someone who later gets to draw from the Main Deck.

We split the S-V into piles of 8, 9-10, 11-12, 13-14, and 15. We then draw a random S-V from each pile, keeping them facedown, and build the S-V stack maintaining the lowest to hardest level order.

We play with 5 players, so we adjust the round time to 90 minutes (adding 15 minutes more than the 1:15 time listed for 4 players).

At the end, if we have defeated the S-V stack or run out of time, then we tally our VPs for that round.

Now, all cards in the destroyed pile, and in our decks, and our S-Hs are put away and no longer used. Round 2 begins with a new S-V stack being build (if we ran out of time before, then we just keep those remaining undefeated S-V at the bottom of the new S-V stack). A new S-H draft is done, resulting in new sets of 2-6 S-H for each player. The 5 Main Deck piles and Path remain untouched for the next round.

Rounds 2-6 are played and VPs tallied for each round and a running total kept of both VPs and per-game ranking points (1st place gets 1 point, 2nd place gets 2 points, and so on. A tie in VPs gives the same points to all who tied). The Leaderboard is determined by a tally of these ranking points to see who has the least points and therefore the best rank (lower is better). A tie in rank is settled by highest VPs. This stops a single run-away round of VPs from crushing the importance of other rounds.

After 6 rounds, you end up using nearly all of the Main Deck (made from all Main Deck cards for all Base, Crossovers and Crisis), 30 S-V, and in our 5-player games 10-12 S-H per game, or 50-60 S-H (out of 77 total S-H cards).

Mind you, this will take many different days to get through all 6 rounds. Sometimes just one round in an evening, sometimes 3 rounds on a Saturday. Depending on Main Deck burn-rate and amount of players, you may get more or less rounds out of one setup.

NrdFeed also has a great DB of all cards and links to their Official Rules, Ban List, and S-H Tier List here:
    DCDeckBuilding.info
    Last edited by JasonJR; 02-20-2017 at 11:00 AM.

I've seen that site and their custom rules for "competitive" play -- and I don't think they know what they're doing.

If you are banning Man of Steel, but leave Arkillo in you need to give your head a shake.

Quote Originally Posted by gerrymul View Post
    If you are banning Man of Steel, but leave Arkillo in you need to give your head a shake.
    Arkillo is not as good as Man of Steel. Arkillo is a higher cost, only gives +2 Power, and gets Equipment rather than Super Powers. Anyone playing Man of Steel can use a bunch of Power to buy Kicks, then use MoS to get them all back. It's not as easy with Arkillo as Equipment might not be as readily available. (You also can't Bat-Signal Arkillo.)

Any card that lets you retrieve ALL of 1 card type has the potential to be broken. Arkillo costs less than Hector Hammond but Hector only lets you grab 2 cards.

For me, their reasons for banning are mostly laughable.

The reasons are:
    1) Banned because they are too powerful
    2) Removed due to lack of play
    3) Replaced with Impossible Mode versions

3) is the only one I can really get behind. They want to be 'competitive' -- so upping the ante by using the (generally) more difficult versions makes sense. Although, it does seem to equate 'competitive' with 'difficulty' ... which isn't always true.

1) ... okay, I can see that (I've got a handful of cards I rarely put into the main deck simply because of their power level). But what is too powerful varies so much based on the other cards in the main deck and the super hero(es) you are using. For example, I usually don't include Princess Diana from the base set, as I usually find her ability to be too powerful. But, I've also seen times where when the person who has that card gets it in his/her hand -- there's no villains to take from the line up. I think my personal idea on this would be to ban cards that are too swingy/variable in power level. That way you're removing some of the luck from the game to put more emphasis on skill.

2) ... For this, I really gotta wonder what their sample size was, and how they tracked it. For example, they are removing The Atom -- but I've done some really busted things with him once (just once ... need the right alignment of the stars.) Plus, for how useful he is it can really depend on a couple of things: How many cards work with being destroyed; how many cards are being destroyed by Super Villains (so you can trade something less for a card that fits more but that you had to destroy before).

So for me - they can claim to be the source for "competitive" DCDBG -- but I also see design flaws in what they are doing. If it works for them and they have fun, sure -- but calling them the "Exclusive rules for competitive play" seems like a huge stretch.

A much better, and simpler plan, would be "Here's a custom main deck -- use this" But they tried to do it fancier -- and thus I have significant reservations about even trying what they propose.

Oh, here's another gem on which cards to use and not use for competitive play:

"We remove these as Stack Ongoing and CRISIS Heroes were only targeted with cooperative play in mind."
    CRISIS - Yes.
    Stack Ongoing? Hell no.

There's nothing inherent about a Stack Ongoing ability that is only good in cooperative play. In fact, that it's made an appearance in sets that aren't about co-op (Such as Teen Titans) ... kinda shows right there that what they say is flat out wrong.

OMG their tier list is an absolute joke.