Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Is there a golden rule for what happens to destroyed cards you don't own?

For example, I know Broadsword would send a destroyed card to the destroyed pile, and Killer Frost's ability would send a card in the lineup to the destroyed pile. However, if I were to say destroy a villain in the lineup with the Joker's ability, after time traveling it, the destroyed card would go back into the lineup at the end of my turn.

If a card or ability explicitely references a zone where you can destroy a card, does it always go to the destroyed pile? Is that the answer?

It's just something that has crossed me up from time to time, and was curious about any golden rules on the matter.

Thanks!

When fighting the final Flash in Rogues: You have no cards in hand, so when you teamwork a foe for their top card, you don't have to discard a card. Is this correct?

In the same scenario, I teamwork an Ultra Strength and draw two cards, do I have to discard one of them for playing Ultra Strength as a cost?

Quote Originally Posted by midnight_rider View Post
    Is there a golden rule for what happens to destroyed cards you don't own?

For example, I know Broadsword would send a destroyed card to the destroyed pile, and Killer Frost's ability would send a card in the lineup to the destroyed pile. However, if I were to say destroy a villain in the lineup with the Joker's ability, after time traveling it, the destroyed card would go back into the lineup at the end of my turn.

If a card or ability explicitely references a zone where you can destroy a card, does it always go to the destroyed pile? Is that the answer?

It's just something that has crossed me up from time to time, and was curious about any golden rules on the matter.

Thanks!
    Cards you don't own can get destroyed in many ways and while in many places, and they do indeed get destroyed. However, if there is an effect on the card that says to return it to whence it came, it will return to that zone UNLESS it is now in a hidden zone (any hand or deck).

If there is no effect that says to return it, then they don't return.
    The rules of Time Travel say to return them to the Line-Up, so the Joker may destroy it, but it goes back at end of turn.
    Matt Hyra
    Cryptozoic R&D

Quote Originally Posted by unLimitedEnds View Post
    When fighting the final Flash in Rogues: You have no cards in hand, so when you teamwork a foe for their top card, you don't have to discard a card. Is this correct?

In the same scenario, I teamwork an Ultra Strength and draw two cards, do I have to discard one of them for playing Ultra Strength as a cost?
    Flash 15 only asks for a discard when playing a card from YOUR hand.
    Teamwork is not playing the card from your hand. It's playing it from the top of a foe's deck.
    You do not discard a card from your hand when Teamworking against Flash 15. That is how you beat him.

Teamworking an Ultra Strength means you discard no cards and will probably beat The Flash!
    Matt Hyra
    Cryptozoic R&D

If you teamwork a card that has a higher cost than Impossible Mode Atomica allows, what happens?

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritDetective View Post
    If you teamwork a card that has a higher cost than Impossible Mode Atomica allows, what happens?
    It gets played! The card is being played as part of the TW effect. You don't get to (or have to) look at it ahead of time to make sure it's legal. The TW was legal, so any card that gets played is automatically legal.
    Matt Hyra
    Cryptozoic R&D

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_Hyra View Post
    It does not say "reveal" so it is not public knowledge. When a card is not revealed, it will never trigger any "upon gaining" effects.
    It is not public knowledge. You did not say that it is not private knowledge. So to be painfully clear - I cannot look at the card I put on top of my deck with Heatwave?

This is distinct from Shazam!'s wording, which has a period at the end of the sentence telling you to gain the top card of the main deck. It then says "You may put it on top of your deck or in your discard pile." Shazam!'s wording implies to me that you gain it, it's placed into your discard pile and everyone gets to see it, and you get any 'upon gaining' effects, but then saying you can put it into your discard pile is a bit confusing, since it should already be there for everyone to see. I think the game and ruling have evolved since his ability was written - what was your intention, how should Shazam! be played?

You don't get to look at it. I am going to reword future printings of Heat Wave to not use the word "gain." And fix his name.

Shazam was written when we were a little too loose with the rules. We knew that everyone looked at cards they gained, so we gave the option to put it on top or not. Nowadays, if we want you to look at something, we say so.
    Matt Hyra
    Cryptozoic R&D

What happens when you teamwork an ongoing card? You keep it as an ongoing card until it leaves play? Who gets vp for it at the end of the game?
    Last edited by andymo24; 05-03-2017 at 06:33 PM.

So does everyone look at the card shazam! gains or not?