Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rigid Buffalo

Post DC Deck-Building Custom Set: Gotham Knights!

GothamKnights_SetLogo_01.jpg
    *Protected under Fair Use, as a non-profit, drafting and prototyping, educational experience for an aspiring content creator.

The list is an entire base set, designed with a more Attack on Titan DBG rule-set, but set in Gotham, where the bat family rules the night. It's not a re-skinning though. Im going to reveal small previews at first--probably even smaller than my previous Justice League Dark set, as we're still very early in testing. But overall, here are set notes.

Playtesting
    Id love for any of you to try it out and give your feedback. As I said, we're very early on in this, but I know those of you who've played both AoT and DC versions of the Cryptozoic games will have some of the best feedback.

Location Cards
    Locations are used in the set, but are laid out to "Move" to in a row of 4 Locations that are randomly selected at the beginning of the game. Some amount of tweaking to the strength and complexity of the card text of each of these is still going on, but overall it's working nicely.

Hidden Objective Cards
    The Hidden Objectives from my Justice League Dark custom set were very popular with any of the groups we've played with. Theyre fun, and don't add complexity into the turn to turn mechanics of what's going on. This is one of the biggest pulls to this kind of card. You can sort of have it in the back of your mind and glance over them when you have a moment during a game just to recalibrate on a strategy you're going for, or evaluate what you've been doing so far during the game, then tell yourself "Hmm. Okay, I could use some more of that card, or I'd better look out for this card or protect that card." I'm leaning towards letting each Super Hero have all 3 to start. Whichever ones' they're able to achieve, they gain VP for.

Card Traits
    This set includes Traits on each card--keywords that can be referred to outside of the typical card types of Hero, Villain, Equipment, Super Hero, Super Villain, Location and Skill.

Skill Cards
    I went with a new card type in this set, Skill cards, over Super Powers. With the types of cards I wanted to include in the set with all these non-Meta humans running around in Gotham, I felt like Skill was a better descriptor. Ultimately, it wasn't a huge change, a more for flavor than anything.

Wounds
    We replace Weaknesses with Wounds in this set. No Super Hero may control more than 1 Wound or they are buried (killed/ko'd/removed from game). (I'm going to have to refer you to the Attack on Titan ruleset to explain a good chunk of this, otherwise I may have to put together my own rulebook).
    Wound_Card.jpg

Mobility Starters
    Rather than use Vulnerabilities, this set uses 3 Mobility cards to start with. These provide 2 Move so that our Super Heroes can move around to the different Locations in Gotham.
    Mobility.jpg

Grapple Guns
    Grapple guns replace Kicks, and only cost 2. Like the Attack on Titan version, they can be returned to the Grapple Gun stack for an extra Move and Power bonus for the turn.
    GrappleGun.jpg

Rigid Buffalo

Custom Gotham Knights Base Set: Starting Super Heroes

Today's Preview!
    Let's start things off with the reveal of the 8 starting Super-Heroes in the set.

BarbaraGordon.jpg BruceWayne.jpg CassandraCain.jpg DamienWayne.jpg

Rigid Buffalo

Custom Gotham Knights Base Set: Starting Super Heroes

DickGrayson.jpg JasonTodd.jpg KateKane.jpg TimDrake.jpg

I've no specific commentary on these, other than the fact that some of these are my favorite DC characters ever. I hope you like how it's coming together so far, and I'll have more to post tomorrow!

Rigid Buffalo

Gotham Knights Custom Set - Skills and the Detective Trait

Today's Preview!
    Skills, ya'llz? Yep.

I don't know about you, but some members of my family have Forensic Files or CSI or all kinds of crime procedural shows on all the time. I liked the idea of fitting a lot of those procedures or skillsets into the Skill cards. After all, Batman is the world's greatest detective.

I will say though, these are super utilitarian in what they do, so of all the cards, if I have a need, these along with some of the Hero's that are still unfinished, will be ones that are easy to change to fill a game play gap.

CyberForensics.jpg
    Cyber Forensics - Track down money trails, hack into security, be tech savvy. This card lets you uncover all sorts of information -- or cards.

DigitalPathology.jpg
    Digital Pathology - The bat clan has all sorts of tech to allow them to solve the cause of death, and track down killers via their victims. Card flavor: as you move to find clues, you'll uncover what you're looking for.

ForensicSymbology.jpg
    Forensic Symbology - Why do villains and secret societies always need branding? Track them down by deciphering their symbols and heraldry.

Rigid Buffalo

Gotham Knights Custom Set - Skills and the Detective Trait

ImpressionDetection.jpg
    Impression Detection - Good ole following the footprints/bootprints/shoe patterns/hoof marks. You'll be rewarded with an extra card once you encounter the Hero/Super Hero/Villain you're Moving after.

LithologicDiscovery.jpg
    Lithologic Discovery - The knowledge of stonework and geology can help out too. Just keep digging and hunting through the rubble. You'll figure it out.

MetalurgicExamination.jpg
    Metalurgic Examination - Like stonework, different metals can tell a tale too when examining artifacts and Equipment and such.

These aren't all the Skill cards, but a nice little family of them. Hope you dig 'em!

Rigid Buffalo

Gotham Knights Custom Set - GCPD Heroes

Today's Preview!

First batch of Heroes! I thought I'd show how some of the new Traits on each card are being used in the set, starting with these guys.

HarveyBullock.jpg JimGordon.jpg ReneeMontoya.jpg
    Police Detectives - These 3 primary detectives in Gotham each have their own flavor. They count as Police traits, and you'll notice the Detective trait also, and how those will interact with some of the other cards.

GCPDOfficer.jpg GCPDSWAT.jpg

GCPD
    There are 4 copies of each of these, and both work well with all of these Police trait cards. GCPD Officer is one card I changed after initial testing, as it just did less damage to a Super-Villain, similar to the SWAT. Now, we have another way to help protect Locations on a one time basis. I could've added Sack Lunch or something to go with Bandages (which is an Equipment that destroys wounds in deck or discard pile), but this way feels very flavorful and definitely works differently, but with the same purpose--prevent damage to Locations or prevent Wounds.
    Last edited by t_tibke; 06-22-2017 at 03:07 PM.

Always love seeing your stuff, man!!
    Who are you thinking for the Super Villians?

Here's some unique ones that aren't already in the Super Villians of the game:
    - Hush
    - Bloom
    - The Wrath
    - Bane
    - Black Mask
    - Phantasm

Do you have an email address so that I could email you?

Great work, man!!

Also, love the wounds feature!!

I have a great idea for "Starter Decks" that I've seen from a game called Hero Realms that I think would definitely be great for DC Deck Building.

Rigid Buffalo

Gotham Knights Custom Set - Equipment

Today's Preview!
    After yesterday's reveal of the Police trait Heroes, today I've got a chunk of Equipment to show you.

Attachment 4606
    Bandages - I'm not actually sure how many "Food" are in AoT (if anyone knows, please let me know), as I haven't seen a list. I've got 4 Bandages in the set right now. These are super useful for removing Wounds.

Attachment 4607
    Batarang - This version has the Gear trait, and some other cards refer to Gear, otherwise the classic 2 for 2.

Attachment 4608
    Batcycle - A speedy little way to help move around.

Attachment 4609
    Batman's Gauntlets - Debated whether to put the Weapon trait on, but haven't had a need yet. Old Batman's ability with a little damage to the face of a Super-Villain.

Attachment 4610
    Batmobile - Another Vehicle used to help move Super Heroes around in defense of the Locations in Gotham. This one lets you bring a friend. I found it interesting when the most critical need for Move cards was--right near beginning of mid game when your deck is getting large enough that your Mobility cards just aren't enough on their own. That's in my experience so far. I'd say my first few playthroughs didn't have enough Move cards, so I've upped them now some (along with Non-Wound destruction cards too).

Rigid Buffalo

Gotham Knights Custom Set - Equipment

Attachment 4611
    Bat Signal - I did try to keep these base set classic pieces of Equipment similar to their original counterparts, but with some interesting options since I was going to have to add the traits on the template anyway. You'll notice this one has the Police trait, so the Hero cards above that reference this are affected by Bat Signal too.

Attachment 4612
    Batwing - I refuse to call this the "Batplane". Haven't seen many Super-Villains at the same Location, considering you only seed 4 into the Main Deck. I may need to adjust this so it does damage to a Super-Villain at each location it moves to during the turn. Sort of a strafing run flavor concept.

Attachment 4613
    Fenrir Suit - Originally I had several more Batsuits in the set, but it was a bit much. I settled on the two in today's update, even though the "Scrapper" used in Court of Owls I left out.

Attachment 4614
    Infrared Lenses - Cool stuff.

Attachment 4615
    Recovered Funds - I tried to include the right number of "Finance" cards in this to accomplish a few different things, but ultimately I think the 4 copies of this I started with are too many. Dropping the number down and trying again.