Thread: Multiverse Tool

Multiverse Tool

My group's first game of Multiverse was fun, but had a tendency to slow down when randomization was a factor. We avoided a good bit of it during setup, thanks to BenJazz's character and champion selection charts, but there was a fair bit of waiting around while someone shuffled another main deck. So of course, when I got home, I came up with an unnecessary and overthought solution to the problem!

This is my Multiverse randomization tool. For setup, it follows along the lines of Ben's charts, but with the randomization built in, and customizable to include only the cards you own. It also features a randomizer for every set in the game, as well as a random oversized character generator for Telos and Crisis Lex Luthor.

Here's a readme, in case you have any questions on how it works. If you have any other questions or suggestions, I'd really love any feedback you have for me!

Might help to shuffle the decks after the start of the game, when you are waiting for your turn. They only need to be shuffled once each. Shuffling them only when needed would be a bit slow.
    Matt Hyra
    Cryptozoic R&D

Yeah, that would certainly help.

Also, for cards that called for a random card of a certain type, we handled it in that first game by separating out all the cards of that type, then shuffling them. It never occurred to me until after I finished the tool that you can just draw from a shuffled deck until you get the card type you need.

But hey, I learned how to do non-repeating random numbers and simulate drawing from a deck of cards in Excel, so it wasn't a total waste of time!

But then you have to hunt the card down anyway, don't you?

True. In that sense, it's not really any different from using Vanishing Point, but yeah, it's not the most convenient way to handle it.

Like I said, I kinda jumped into this solution with both feet before I started thinking about other ways to make things easier. By the time I thought about other ways to do it, I was mostly done and figured I may as well finish the thing.

I love the tool for initial setup!

Thanks! I'm glad you found it helpful.

After playing a few games with it, I'm actually liking it more than I thought I would. I like that we don't have to shuffle the oversized character deck, and searching through the box for the randomly generated cards hasn't been the pain I thought it would be.

I have a couple things I want to clean up a bit, and then I'll probably post it to BoardGameGeek and keep it updated there as new sets come out.

Just a heads up for anyone using this, I've updated it for Confrontations and added a few features.

First off, I've added a feature to exclude the Crisis characters. By default, they shouldn't be included, but if you're feeling crazy and want to throw them into the mix, now you have the option. I also fixed the Telos sheet to include or exclude them based on the Setup sheet.

I've handled the Confrontations characters the same way I did the Rivals ones, grouping them by level. If you want to select them individually, you can manually change the "Include" column on the Characters sheet. As long as you just mark it "Yes" or leave it blank, it won't break the code or anything, it just won't automatically change with the Setup sheet anymore.

I've also added a section to exclude Champions. We kept getting Captain Cold a lot, and our group found that his attack was a bit too brutal compared to the others. If anyone wants me to add Champions to the list of options, let me know.

The last big change I made was to add the Two Heads are Better than One variant. If you turn that on, each player will get six characters to choose two from.

I would've liked to also include Teen Titans Go!, but I don't have access to the card info. I'll be sure to update if/when my group picks up the game. Other than that, let me know if you have any feedback!

Edit: I just added Gypsy to the setup sheet, in case anyone has her. If you include her, she'll be able to come up as a random card in Crossover 6. Gotham City Docks isn't included because there's no such appropriate set to pair it with.
    Last edited by GuruGuru214; 12-08-2017 at 08:09 AM.