Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Multiverse confrontation question

Clarification, please. With multiverse you are allowed to both confront and purchase in the same turn, but are you allowed to purchase prior to the confrontation? For example, if you were using Aquaman (character) and you wanted to put a card from the lineup on top of your deck in order to draw it and use it with the confrontation.
    Thank you!

Yes, you could also buy beforehand, but that might not be a great plan if they have any Block cards.
    Matt Hyra
    Cryptozoic R&D

I'm confused. I thought the whole point of confronting was that you had to commit to it and not be able to purchase cards, but this statement counteracts that.

Quote Originally Posted by LRoq617 View Post
    I'm confused. I thought the whole point of confronting was that you had to commit to it and not be able to purchase cards, but this statement counteracts that.
    Bottom of MULTIVERSE Rulebook page 4:
    "After generating your Power, you may choose to Confront or not. After Confronting, you may spend additional Power to buy cards as usual. If your Confrontation is unsuccessful, your turn ends and your Power is lost."

So there is an element of commitment, because if you fail, you lose everything.
    Matt Hyra
    Cryptozoic R&D

i thought you had to declare a confrontation before you played your cards??? or is it different for rivals and confrontations? if it is its silly cause its the same mechanic

in fact im gonna contradict Matts ruling here. Rival, Confrontations and Multiverse all have confrontation rules. now i know that rivals and confrontations are different game setups BUT they are based on the core game of DC deckbuilder and have cards that are compatible with standard DC deckbuilder. for example if i wanted to instead of the normal characters i could use the confrontation/Rivals characters and add the confrontation/Block cards as the main deck. then have the multiverse in the game as a sidebar. now because both games use a form of confrontation. the idea is the same. you use your power to either confront your opponents character, or in this case go after the city to your left. either way the rule set should be the same. and since both rule sets use the same exact name "confrontation" the most recent rule for confrontation is in the Confrontations set. so honestly to keep the confusion down, the rivals/confrontations rule should have been amended to the multiverse box set.

. you SHOULD declare your confrontation before you play your cards,
    .. when confronting you disable your ability to buy cards except what you are confronting for,
    ... resolve effects of cards you play,
    .... let your opponent play block cards,
    ..... then resolve the confrontation.

in my opinion if you own all the sets like i do, then the Confrontation Box rules trump the Multiverse rule because it is the most recent rule for confrontation. and it should also be the standing rule because you could potentially pull rivals and confrontaions cards from the multiverse randomize deck.
    Last edited by CushionRide; 01-31-2018 at 10:20 PM.

In Rivals and Confrontations, you do declare it at start of turn. They were asking about Multiverse, where it is not start of turn.
    Matt Hyra
    Cryptozoic R&D

I understand that but what im saying is when you get down to it, this is all DC Deckbuilder. if you are going to have 2 similar mechanics for 2 different sets and they have the same name, then they should have the same rules, it avoids confusion and it simplifies the game.

The difference being that they're two completely different styles of play. Confrontations is built around blocks, assists, and team mechanics. Multiverse is not, and requiring one to commit themselves to a confrontation in that format will make even the smallest case of run-away-winner syndrome even worse.

ok but here in lies the flaw. all the sets contain cards that are compatible with the core games. confontations and rivals is just another version of DC Deckbuilder. if I wanted to be janky I could combine cards from crisis to rivals, or multiverse or whatever. try this, combining multiverse and have your core sets rivals and confrontations. now you have 2 confrontation mechanics. and guess what the cards out of the core set do not differentiate which confrontation you are talking about. so why could you not use block mechanics or confrontation card mechanics. now I know what your going to say, there not going to raise or lower the multiverse champions cost. well yes you are correct, but there are confrontation cards that let you draw, or force discards, or other effects. and since both confrontation mechanics are not differentiated by title, the cards can be played during either type of confrontation. its all in the English in the cards and the rules. this is why if they are both confrontation mechanics they should have similar rules. honestly though we just play tested this last week and it was in believably confusing to keep track of where you were confronting. so using both mechanics in the game is really jank.

but my point is still valid. the fact that this thread started is proof that the confrontation rules should be the same or have different names for their perspective mechanics. it just confuses players. honestly Im in favor of the rivals and confrontations version of the rule. I think it should apply for multiverse as well.

however my group of players are not fans of the multiverse system. it takes way to much time to set up, and the randomizer is kinda a waste of time, then you have to sort all that stuff back. my version uses bits of everything, and I think we have found a nice balance. the newest addition to my master game is the enhanced strength and the assist mechanic. ^_^

The Multiverse rules do say that if you are playing with cards that give you a bonus during a Confrontation, you need to declare it before playing those cards if you want the bonus.

Normally we do not like to have two rules for one effect, but having to pre-declare in Multiverse was terrible. So instead of making lots of Rivals and Confrontations cards worthless in Multiverse, we tried to be inclusive of everything.
    Matt Hyra
    Cryptozoic R&D