Black Lightning Errata

I searched a few threads but I'm not sure if I understand how the errata works for BL? It says discard x cards and x cards cannot be 0? Does that mean you can't discard weaknesses or starter cards, or that you have to at least discard 1 card to activate his ability??

You must discard at least 1 card.
    Nathaniel Yamaguchi
    CZE Playtester & Designer

Yeah, some people were suggesting you could potentially game it so you keep discarding 0 cards to get all your weakness and starters, then discard them to get your 6 or 7 cost cards. Lather, rinse, repeat until you had pretty much your entire discard pile in your hand at the end.

Can you discard with Black Lightning ability just to discard? Even if there is no cards in your discard pile to put in your hand?

Quote Originally Posted by xephongun View Post
    Can you discard with Black Lightning ability just to discard? Even if there is no cards in your discard pile to put in your hand?
    Yes, but keep in mind that the cards you discarded can be picked up again during the same activation.
    Last edited by Matt_Hyra; 05-04-2018 at 11:16 AM.
    Matt Hyra
    Cryptozoic R&D

Why? I saw the ruling with Beast Boy saying you can discard anything to get but nothing. But his discard ability is a may trigger and then if a card of the same type discarded that is a non-starter and 6 or less cost you can get it back. Black Lightning doesn't say you may discard cards. His says you have to discard X cards: to put a non-starter card with X cost to your hand. There is no may option in his ability.

The Discard is a cost. You don't have to "target" anything upon announcement. Also, the cards you discard are legal cards for you to pick up within the same activation.
    I'll add a clarification to the answer above.
    Matt Hyra
    Cryptozoic R&D

Thank you for that. I was thinking you could put one of the cards you discarded into your hand. So to make sure I got it right if you have nothing in your discard and you discard a vulnerability nothing happens. The reason I was asking is a friend of mine had Harley Quinn with Black Lightning and was saying you could discard a card with out getting anything with Black Lightning.

Quote Originally Posted by xephongun View Post
    Thank you for that. I was thinking you could put one of the cards you discarded into your hand. So to make sure I got it right if you have nothing in your discard and you discard a vulnerability nothing happens. The reason I was asking is a friend of mine had Harley Quinn with Black Lightning and was saying you could discard a card with out getting anything with Black Lightning.
    Right.
    Matt Hyra
    Cryptozoic R&D