Best Base Set for New Gods

My Friends and I recently tried new gods and we did it with the teen titans set and we experienced the apocolips characters had more of an advantage then new genesis, I was using big barda and I was unable to cycle the 15 power needed for her ability, and orion requires 9 power. Did we use the wrong set or did we have a bad shuffle for our main deck, because our friends used the apocolips characters and trounced us, looking for a little help so that both sides have an equal chance and are not trounced.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowking01 View Post
    My Friends and I recently tried new gods and we did it with the teen titans set and we experienced the apocolips characters had more of an advantage then new genesis, I was using big barda and I was unable to cycle the 15 power needed for her ability, and orion requires 9 power. Did we use the wrong set or did we have a bad shuffle for our main deck, because our friends used the apocolips characters and trounced us, looking for a little help so that both sides have an equal chance and are not trounced.
    What do you mean 15 Power for Big Barda? You have to play 3 cards with cost 5 or greater.
    Nathaniel Yamaguchi
    CZE Playtester & Designer

Might have been a bad shuffle. Teen Titans should allow you to have a big turn every few turns, when you use all of your Ongoings. That should trigger those New Genesis characters.
    Matt Hyra
    Cryptozoic R&D

Quote Originally Posted by aoineko View Post
    What do you mean 15 Power for Big Barda? You have to play 3 cards with cost 5 or greater.
    My bad we thought it was power 5, still I wasn't getting a lot of high value cards that game

Runt of the Litter
    Only had chance to play New Gods once since getting it. We used the base set with just 2 players. I played Orion, as soon as I grabbed the Orion card I felt like I was going to win, and I did. Going to try for a 4 player game soon.

After looking through the main decks, I reckon that Heroes Unite makes for a strong New Gods experience.
    - A relatively high number (36) of non-Ongoing cards that cost 5 or more for Big Barda
    - 23 cards which cost 1 or 2 for Darkseid.
    - An abundance of weak Hero and Villain cards which players won't rush to pick up, so Granny Goodness doesn't get shafted by everyone else aggressively taking Hero and Villains
    - Powerful equipment (the Power Rings) and Superpower strategies (Starbolts) which allow players to do build viable decks without having to fight over Heroes and Villains.

I've only played New Gods with HU so far, but I think my assumptions about it being the best main deck stand up. Honestly, I was expecting New Gods to be a slow and grindy format like Legion of Superheroes and Birds of Prey, but I've been pleasantly surprised by how well it played, and even how well it functioned as a 1 vs 1 format.
    Last edited by automatonsleuth; 08-10-2018 at 05:01 AM. Reason: Removing ambiguity

I personally have found New Gods to actually speed the game up compared to other crossovers. We have used bother Base and HU and both work well. We have also been surprised at how balanced the end game scores tend to be with three and four players.