Question GB2 - Too difficult - Balancing with house rules

Hello folks,
    after playing a few times with three other friends we came to the conclusion that the GB2 board game is too difficult for us, with the rules as written (or as we did understand them). For the background, additionally, I have to say that we are generally experienced board gamers, personally I am also familiar with different (more complex) war games and pen&paper RPGs and I like advanced tactics stuff etc.

We tried playing the 1st scenario of the vigo campaign, did some tactical discussions and rule re-readings afterwards, but anyway we failed three times in a row. And I would assume that the difficulty raises in later (not #1) scenarios, am I right?

What are your experiences, did you find it very difficult, too?

For me it seems clear that the game has balancing issues (unless we really misunderstood some rules and made it too hard for ourselves). Anyway, I think for a more "casual" approach to the game, it definitely needs tweaking to be more fun.

Do you have any suggestions for house rules (or official hints) making the game easier / more accessible?
    (But still being challenging, not super easy )

My first thought was something like a) randomly giving 2 players a "rescue" die, to repeat one roll with bad luck per scenario, and b) the other 2 players would get an additional random piece of equipment from the beginning. But I guess that won't be enough and I'm not quite sure if the two addons (a+b) are roughly of the same value.

What do you think? Maybe other ideas/experiences?

Thanks!
    Last edited by OldSam; 08-22-2018 at 10:49 AM.

...no activity here...? Are so few people actually playing the game...? :/

The players are all on the GB Facebook group, so they don't come here much.
    Matt Hyra
    Cryptozoic R&D

for my parts the house rule i use is
    -not reseting the ecto tank between senario
    -if we fail a senario , we restart the senario only , not the campaign ( so keep track of you re stuff)
    -i think the goo timer is a little short sometime , so if you use the trap rule , adding a little more time is a good idea

make sure you look at the updated rules too if you havent already