DC Deck builder Crisis Expansion 4 Newb Questions

My friend and I pulled out Crisis Expansion 4 to play with the base DCDB set (i don't own the teen titans game) to prep for a Gen Con event we've signed up for. I have a couple of rules clarification questions for when you're playing crisis co-op mode(sorry if they've been asked an answered):

1. For personal crisis, are the "you"s in the text only referring to the player who has the personal crisis? This is probably what happens when you play with lawyers, but we were arguing if the "you" was specific to the player or was it a the proverbial "you". I think this came up with "Unappreciated", where it says "each time you contribute to a crisis...". Is that only for the person who has the personal crisis or is that for any person trying to contribute to the crisis? Thematically, it makes sense that the you is only specific to the person who has the personal crisis, that's what makes it personal.
    2. Staying on "Unappreciated", does that apply to any time the person who has "Unappreciated" contributes to ANY personal crisis, not just "Unappreciated"? I would assume so, but we really want to clear up some of our confusions before we play with strangers.
    3. For some reason my brain is farting...for some reason i remember playing the first couple of expansions and there were more attacks by villains. If a villain hits the line-up, does the attack trigger on all players? i forget this if this occurs, it's been a long time since i've played and i know there is a deckbuilder that has that effect.
    4. For impossible mode super-villains, do their "ongoing" effects happen while they are on the super-villain stack? We noticed only some of them had the effect and we weren't 100% sure if the effect was happening while they were on the stack before they were defeated. We played it that they were, but again, we just want clarification.
    5. Also, for impossible mode super-villain "Terra", her "Ongoing" effect seems beneficial to the team, which seems odd for a villain. is that really her effect, that the player can destroy a card you've played or in your discard pile once per turn? Just seems weird to have a villain have an ongoing benefit to the players.
    6. I swear, I think I'm almost done with the stupid questions. So for Unity and other "ongoing" cards, did i read the rules correctly in that they play in font of you and stay on the table even after your turn? Much like locations did in the base set? Why don't they have the same language as the locations where it's clear, this plays on the table and stays after the turn? Again, this is the attorney in us, if you have two cards that have the same effect, that being staying on the table after your turn, they should have the same language to confuse anyone who may ask, why doesnt this unity card have that language.
    7. For the villains that have the ongoing or unity effect, all of that is ignore during the co-op crisis mode, correct? the ongoing effect wouldnt be active while they're in the line-up and they are destroyed once you defeat them, so it would seem to make sense but, again, just double checking to make sure we played it correctly.
    8. Okay, last question I believe has to deal with the destroyed deck. So, with the base set and the crisis expansion 4 set, there was no way to interact with the destroyed pile. Is that more common with the Teen Titan base set? I know there are a few cards in one of the other crisis expansions that interact with the destroyed pile, but there aren't many out there. Just wondering if i missed anything or we just didnt have cards that had that interaction.

Overall, I liked the expansion. I liked the double timer (personal crisis card burn and end of turn card burn) aspect of it. I think a lot of the negatives are easily overcome with your teammates doing all the work on your personal crisis, so most of the crisis weren't that bad, which i think is a departure from Expansions 1 and 2 where some of those were brutal. but overall, I did like how the personal crisis really had you relying on your allies; felt more co-op than some games with expansions 1 and 2. And the first attacks of the super-villains weren't bad either, but maybe we had more defense cards since we played with the base set? I dont know, but they just didnt seem that bad. the ending was brutal because I ended up with the personal crisis "Villainous Lineage" and the only two villains were burned at the start of my turn. so the last guy was at least worth 20 without any equipment to lower him. We were so close so many times, always one off but we never had any villains on the board to get rid of that personal crisis. We eventually won the game and when we looked through the very small draw deck, there were only 2 villains left in the entire thing. so that combo certainly was tough.

We're really excited to get to play this game at Gen Con and see what else Crypto has premiering there! We've never been and I just had to go play this game, as it's one of my go-to's when i get the chance to game.
    Last edited by aaronne07; 07-14-2019 at 06:18 PM.

Not an official answer, but my understanding is:
    Yes to 1 & 2
    No to 3 - this was only during a specific Crisis, although you can play that rule as a variant
    No to 4 & 5 - "Stack Ongoing" happens the whole time they are on the stack, "Ongoing" only happens if you are playing a version where you end up playing the super villain card rather than destroying it.
    6 - the text "ongoing" means that once you play it, it stays out in play. You only get the text effects when it gets played, or in the case of Unity cards, when a new Unity card is played that player gets the text of all Unity cards in play. These ongoing cards can be discarded by the effects of other cards played allowing you to shuffle them into your deck and play them again to effect.
    7 - the text is meaningless in the line-up unless you have a card that lets you play it from the line up like Granny Goodness or Emerald Knight. The text is only relevant when you play the card.
    8 - there's nothing in Titans that lets you interact with the destroyed pile that I can recall. Crisis 1 has Atom that lets you destroy a card in hand and get one of the same cost from the destroyed pile and the Signature Trenchcoat that lets you gain a card costing 5 or less from the destroyed pile and the Super Villain Hades lets you gain any card from the destroyed pile (you would have to play J'onn Jonzz to use this ability though). Crisis 2 has the Black Power Ring and White Power Ring that lets you gain villains and heroes from the destroyed pile respectively. I can't remember offhand what other cards might let you interact with the destroyed pile apart from the Super Heroes from Forever Evil.

Hi there, aaronne07,

Let's see if we can get these questions cleared up for you:

Quote Originally Posted by aaronne07 View Post
    1. For personal crisis, are the "you"s in the text only referring to the player who has the personal crisis? This is probably what happens when you play with lawyers, but we were arguing if the "you" was specific to the player or was it a the proverbial "you". I think this came up with "Unappreciated", where it says "each time you contribute to a crisis...". Is that only for the person who has the personal crisis or is that for any person trying to contribute to the crisis? Thematically, it makes sense that the you is only specific to the person who has the personal crisis, that's what makes it personal.[/LIST]
    When a personal crisis says "you", it's referring only to the player that has that personal crisis. So, in this case, whenever the player with Unappreciated contributes, it would trigger the adding of an additional card to the Line-Up, but none of the other players would trigger Unappreciated this way.

2. Staying on "Unappreciated", does that apply to any time the person who has "Unappreciated" contributes to ANY personal crisis, not just "Unappreciated"? I would assume so, but we really want to clear up some of our confusions before we play with strangers.
    Yes, that's correct, Unappreciated will trigger any time the affected player contributes to any crisis, not just Unappreciated.

3. For some reason my brain is farting...for some reason i remember playing the first couple of expansions and there were more attacks by villains. If a villain hits the line-up, does the attack trigger on all players? i forget this if this occurs, it's been a long time since i've played and i know there is a deckbuilder that has that effect.
    There were effects in some of the previous crisis expansions that allowed Villains to perform their attacks (the Arkham Breakout crisis from the first one, for example), but it's not a default rule of the mode. The personal crisis Trial by Combat does tap into that "hand out more attacks" space, though.

4. For impossible mode super-villains, do their "ongoing" effects happen while they are on the super-villain stack? We noticed only some of them had the effect and we weren't 100% sure if the effect was happening while they were on the stack before they were defeated. We played it that they were, but again, we just want clarification.
    Stack Ongoing effects, like the one found on Crisis Trigon, are active while the Super-Villain is on top of the Super-Villain stack. However, "regular" Ongoing effects, like the one found on Terra, are only active while that card is in play after you've played it (it's worth noting that normally that never happens when playing in Crisis mode.)

5. Also, for impossible mode super-villain "Terra", her "Ongoing" effect seems beneficial to the team, which seems odd for a villain. is that really her effect, that the player can destroy a card you've played or in your discard pile once per turn? Just seems weird to have a villain have an ongoing benefit to the players.
    Related to the above answer, Terra's Ongoing effect is meant to be beneficial to the player that controls her. As we clarified above, though, only Stack Ongoing effects are active on the Super-Villain stack, and thus Terra's Ongoing text isn't active there, so hopefully that all makes more sense.

6. I swear, I think I'm almost done with the stupid questions. So for Unity and other "ongoing" cards, did i read the rules correctly in that they play in font of you and stay on the table even after your turn? Much like locations did in the base set? Why don't they have the same language as the locations where it's clear, this plays on the table and stays after the turn? Again, this is the attorney in us, if you have two cards that have the same effect, that being staying on the table after your turn, they should have the same language to confuse anyone who may ask, why doesnt this unity card have that language.
    Hey now, there are no stupid questions. These have all been great. As for this one:

Games can evolve over time, and in some cases, like this one, that can mean finding more efficient ways to write things. Specifically, starting with the Teen Titans set I believe, Locations have dropped the "When you play this card, leave it in front of your for the rest of the game" line, since that rule is already covered by the "Ongoing" word itself (Force Field back in Heroes United helped set the precedent here, in a way.) With Locations no longer having to devote all those words to clarify the concept of an Ongoing card, that frees up a little more space to do Ongoing effects that might otherwise have trouble fitting on the card.

7. For the villains that have the ongoing or unity effect, all of that is ignore during the co-op crisis mode, correct? the ongoing effect wouldnt be active while they're in the line-up and they are destroyed once you defeat them, so it would seem to make sense but, again, just double checking to make sure we played it correctly.
    That is correct, the effects of those Villains would normally never come up during Crisis mode.

8. Okay, last question I believe has to deal with the destroyed deck. So, with the base set and the crisis expansion 4 set, there was no way to interact with the destroyed pile. Is that more common with the Teen Titan base set? I know there are a few cards in one of the other crisis expansions that interact with the destroyed pile, but there aren't many out there. Just wondering if i missed anything or we just didnt have cards that had that interaction.
    I believe the only thing that interacts with the destroyed pile in Crisis 4 is the Crisis Raven Super Hero. Card destruction and the destroyed pile were actually big themes of the previous Forever Evil set, so Teen Titans and Crisis 4 aimed to do less of that, ensuring that the sets felt distinct from one another.

I hope all that helps to answer the questions you had. If any of that could use some further clarification, please don't hesitate to ask. It's great to see you've been enjoying playing with the set. The game you described sounded like a real nail-biter.

Also, hope you have an absolute blast at Gen Con. There's so much awesome stuff to see there that it can be hard to find time to do everything you want, especially for your first time attending, and we're thankful that you're looking to spend some of that precious time of yours playing our games. We hope you really enjoy it, as well as anything else you get up to at the convention.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyTheSquid View Post
    Hi there, aaronne07,

Let's see if we can get these questions cleared up for you:

When a personal crisis says "you", it's referring only to the player that has that personal crisis. So, in this case, whenever the player with Unappreciated contributes, it would trigger the adding of an additional card to the Line-Up, but none of the other players would trigger Unappreciated this way.

Yes, that's correct, Unappreciated will trigger any time the affected player contributes to any crisis, not just Unappreciated.

There were effects in some of the previous crisis expansions that allowed Villains to perform their attacks (the Arkham Breakout crisis from the first one, for example), but it's not a default rule of the mode. The personal crisis Trial by Combat does tap into that "hand out more attacks" space, though.

Stack Ongoing effects, like the one found on Crisis Trigon, are active while the Super-Villain is on top of the Super-Villain stack. However, "regular" Ongoing effects, like the one found on Terra, are only active while that card is in play after you've played it (it's worth noting that normally that never happens when playing in Crisis mode.)

Related to the above answer, Terra's Ongoing effect is meant to be beneficial to the player that controls her. As we clarified above, though, only Stack Ongoing effects are active on the Super-Villain stack, and thus Terra's Ongoing text isn't active there, so hopefully that all makes more sense.

Hey now, there are no stupid questions. These have all been great. As for this one:

Games can evolve over time, and in some cases, like this one, that can mean finding more efficient ways to write things. Specifically, starting with the Teen Titans set I believe, Locations have dropped the "When you play this card, leave it in front of your for the rest of the game" line, since that rule is already covered by the "Ongoing" word itself (Force Field back in Heroes United helped set the precedent here, in a way.) With Locations no longer having to devote all those words to clarify the concept of an Ongoing card, that frees up a little more space to do Ongoing effects that might otherwise have trouble fitting on the card.

That is correct, the effects of those Villains would normally never come up during Crisis mode.

I believe the only thing that interacts with the destroyed pile in Crisis 4 is the Crisis Raven Super Hero. Card destruction and the destroyed pile were actually big themes of the previous Forever Evil set, so Teen Titans and Crisis 4 aimed to do less of that, ensuring that the sets felt distinct from one another.

I hope all that helps to answer the questions you had. If any of that could use some further clarification, please don't hesitate to ask. It's great to see you've been enjoying playing with the set. The game you described sounded like a real nail-biter.

Also, hope you have an absolute blast at Gen Con. There's so much awesome stuff to see there that it can be hard to find time to do everything you want, especially for your first time attending, and we're thankful that you're looking to spend some of that precious time of yours playing our games. We hope you really enjoy it, as well as anything else you get up to at the convention.
    Wow, thank you for such a thorough response, i greatly appreciate it along with the explanations This really helps us clarify some areas we were confused on and gets us ready for the event at Gen Con. I'm really looking forward to picking up Rebirth if we can get there fast enough on Thursday. We're really excited to experience the convention, but after seeing all the amazing stuff developers such as yourself are bringing to the convention, i think we made the rookie mistake of signing up for too many events. oh well, gives us a reason to go back

thanks again for both replies, i do appreciate you both for taking time to respond.