Important question about destroying weaknesses in DC Deck Builder

Just wondering if you can destroy a Weakness in your hand if you have a card that says "you may destroy a card in your hand" on your turn. A friend I play with is telling me I'm wrong and you're only allowed to destroy them when they are in your discard pile. He also doesn't believe me that you only need 20 weakness and when you destroy one they go to the destroyed pile and not back to the weakness pile. But yeah could anyone please clarify the rules about destroying a weakness card for me? Appreciate it, sorry I am a bit new to this I just want to be playing correctly

Your friend is very wrong.

A Weakness can be destroyed in your hand if an effect says "Destroy a card in your hand." I have no idea where he got the "discard pile only" idea from.

A standard DC game uses 20 Weaknesses. I guess there is nothing to stop you if you wanted to add more, but the rules suggest just using the 20 Weaknesses that come with that set.

A destroyed Weakness is put in the destroyed pile as with any other card. He may be confused with the rules for the Impossible Mode Super Villains. If playing with the Impossible Mode Super Villains from Crisis, a destroyed Weakness is returned to the Weakness stack.

Is there a different rule about Weakness for tournaments?

Now my friend is saying they play at game theory all the time and the way they play is you can't destroy a weakness in hand only the discard pile.

But that would mean they are playing wrong or changed the basic rules. And he keeps saying like "I've read the rule book". But I'm the one actually sitting here reading the rule book to check, but still not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Bones304 View Post
    Is there a different rule about Weakness for tournaments?

Now my friend is saying they play at game theory all the time and the way they play is you can't destroy a weakness in hand only the discard pile.

But that would mean they are playing wrong or changed the basic rules. And he keeps saying like "I've read the rule book". But I'm the one actually sitting here reading the rule book to check, but still not sure.
    Your friend is incorrect. Either Game Theory is using some weird house rules or their players are spreading some bad info around.
    Matt Hyra
    Cryptozoic R&D

Thank you I agree I have the right info, dude wants to block me because he thinks I'm wrong lol...

I thought it was weird because I bought a card from Line-Up that lets you destroy a card in hand. When I finally got to the card and had a weakness in hand, I tried to destroy, and they told me I can only do it from the discard and that I have to play weakness first lol. I thought something was off.