Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1

    Respectful Request

    I was playing a few two-player games of Confrontations the other day. I really like this format for a two-player game, and with the two Rivals sets included, there is a lot of variety.

    However, I do have a sincere request: Please reprint a Superman with better powers.

    Superman is easily the worst character in Confrontations. I understand that he is mostly made for the 2v2 format of Confrontations, but it would be great to make him viable in the 1v1 gameplay.

    Superman's first power only adds the top card of the deck to the line up. This really pales in comparison to other characters who have destroy (Wonder Woman, Ocean Master, Green Lantern) or draw (Batman, Joker, Lex Luthor). Perhaps giving Superman an ability similar to The Flash in Crisis 4 would be better.

    Superman's second power, again, seems to be made exclusively for a 2v2 game. It is not common to start a turn with less than five cards in a 1v1 game. Even if you do have only four cards at the start of the turn, this just lets you draw up to a normal hand size.

    Superman's final power is also rather unimpressive. It allows for just a two card cycle, but that is all. It does not increase hand size or Power like it does for most of the other characters when on their Level 3. While Superman's effect can be utilized by your partner in 2v2, there is little impact on combat in a 1v1 game.

    It is disappointing that one of DC Comics' flagship characters is not able compete with the others in terms of abilities. Again, I respectfully request that a reprint of Superman with better powers be considered. This reprint could be released in a few Rivals set, or even a future Confrontations set, either of which I would most certainly purchase.

    Thank you.

  2. #2
    I don't disagree with you. I find Lex to also be underpowered unless you are in a 2v2 game.

  3. #3
    Cryptozoic Employee Matt_Hyra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    2,281
    Unlikely we are going to reprint a new version of Superman.
    However, I could see a House Rule for 1v1.

    Superman 2 Added Text for 1v1:
    At the start of each of your turns, you may put an Assist card from your hand on top of your Super Hero.

    You can order the start of turn effects to allow you to place an Assist first, then refill to 5.
    Matt Hyra
    Cryptozoic R&D

  4. #4
    Cryptozoic Employee Matt_Hyra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    2,281
    Quote Originally Posted by gerrymul View Post
    I don't disagree with you. I find Lex to also be underpowered unless you are in a 2v2 game.
    Lex was made to be selfish with Assist, so not sure why he would be underpowered in 1v1.
    Matt Hyra
    Cryptozoic R&D

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt_Hyra View Post
    Unlikely we are going to reprint a new version of Superman.
    However, I could see a House Rule for 1v1.

    Superman 2 Added Text for 1v1:
    At the start of each of your turns, you may put an Assist card from your hand on top of your Super Hero.

    You can order the start of turn effects to allow you to place an Assist first, then refill to 5.
    That would be a great addition. It would be nice to have an official print of that effect, though. Please take it under consideration. As I said before, releasing it with another Rivals or Confrontations set would be great.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by gerrymul View Post
    I don't disagree with you. I find Lex to also be underpowered unless you are in a 2v2 game.
    I agree with Matt, actually. I've played with Lex 1v1 and he does just fine. I think he actually does a little better in 1v1 because he's not competing for Assist cards as much as he needs to in 2v2.

  7. #7
    Yeah, I'm an idiot. It's been a while and you are correct, it was the other way around with Lex - better on his own that in 2v2.

  8. #8
    I know I'm a bit late to the party but wanted to share my experience:

    I mostly play Confrontation + Rivals cube in 1v1 and what we do with the character cards is to modify their costs by based on how effective they are in our setup. We add 0-3 to all characters except Superman who gets +5, effectively becoming a tank like character. We've had really good luck with this format and it feels very balanced character to character once you dial it in.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanity View Post
    I mostly play Confrontation + Rivals cube in 1v1 and what we do with the character cards is to modify their costs by based on how effective they are in our setup. We add 0-3 to all characters except Superman who gets +5, effectively becoming a tank like character. We've had really good luck with this format and it feels very balanced character to character once you dial it in.
    That works. However, I still am hoping that a new Superman can be created for Rivals/Confrontations. The powers Superman was given are so underwhelming, there is no motivation to play him before any other character.

    Cryptozoic: Again, I respectfully request a reprint of Superman with better powers.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •