Hybrid View

The Walking Dead: No Sanctuary - Traffic Jam scenario

I played the base game trough the six scenarios, and now try my hand at What Lies Ahead: Traffic Jam. I really enjoy the experience even if a lot of rule questions arise along the play. I solved many for myself and tried to Read As Written as much as possible but there are still some bumps:

1. Glenn has the ability to search a building within range 1. Due to wall, it is not possible to have firing LoS from outside to inside a building, hence there must be a different meaning to range here. Does Range means you could move inside the building in 1 step (ie adjacent), or does Range mean the LoS have to be traced to the wall rather than the centre of the building, ie all 8 surrounding hexes from Glenn?
    2. Same question with Traffic Jam scenario. Are Survivors inside buildings within Range 1 of Walkers surrounding the building? Or do the Walkers lack a LoS to the inside of the building?

3. Traffic Jam again: AFAI understand, if all survivors are hidden OR if all survivors are ignored (ie in the forest), the Walkers head for the Roamer. What happens if some survivors are hidden and some survivors are in the forest? If I read as written, the special activation of Walkers is not triggered, hence they head for the closer survivor outside the wood (even if hidden). Am I right?

Thanks for reading, and thanks for all the great clarifications I already read on this forum. Cheers!
    Last edited by noelberrier; 08-28-2019 at 06:50 AM. Reason: clarity

Hi there, noelberrier. Thank you very much for playing the game. Let's see if we can get you the answers you're looking for here.

Quote Originally Posted by noelberrier View Post
    1. Glenn has the ability to search a building within range 1. Due to wall, it is not possible to have firing LoS from outside to inside a building, hence there must be a different meaning to range here. Does Range means you could move inside the building in 1 step (ie adjacent), or does Range mean the LoS have to be traced to the wall rather than the centre of the building, ie all 8 surrounding hexes from Glenn?
    You're correct in that Glenn does not have line of sight to the space next to him, but just as you guessed, the concept of "within range" works a little differently for figures and spaces. Let me pull up the specific lines from page 9 of the rulebook:

Quote Originally Posted by rulebook
    When counting range from a figure’s Space, a player may count adjacent Spaces as well as diagonal Spaces. Each Space counted from the originating Space counts as 1 range. For example, every Space surrounding a figure is within 1 range of that figure.
    So, when talking about whether or not something is within range, we're usually just talking about distance from the Survivor's space. However, figures have an additional requirement on top of that:

Quote Originally Posted by rulebook
    A figure must have line of sight to a target figure’s Space in order for that figure to be within range.

So, for a figure to be considered "within range n," two things need to be true:

*It needs to be in a Space that is within range n.
    *You need to have line of sight to that figure.

However, in this case, Glenn isn't targeting a figure, so it just cares about the distance.

Quote Originally Posted by noelberrier
    2. Same question with Traffic Jam scenario. Are Survivors inside buildings within Range 1 of Walkers surrounding the building? Or do the Walkers lack a LoS to the inside of the building?
    Another great question. The short answer is that the Survivors in the building are not within range 1 of the Walkers. Since we're talking about figures in this case, having a clear line of sight is a requirement, and since the walls of the building block line of sight for the Walkers, the Survivors within the building are not within range 1 of the Walkers, and thus would not trigger the Group Tension part of that scenario.

Interestingly enough, it's worth noting that the Walkers are within range 1 of the Survivors, because the walls of the building the Survivors are standing in don't block line of sight for the Survivors.

Or, to put it more simply:
    Survivors within range 1 of Walkers? No.
    Walkers within range 1 of Survivors? Yes.

3. Traffic Jam again: AFAI understand, if all survivors are hidden OR if all survivors are ignored (ie in the forest), the Walkers head for the Roamer. What happens if some survivors are hidden and some survivors are in the forest? If I read as written, the special activation of Walkers is not triggered, hence they head for the closer survivor outside the wood (even if hidden). Am I right?
    In this case, assuming all the Survivors are either hidden or in the Woods, the way Walkers move will depend on whether the Walkers are in the Woods or not. Walkers outside of the Woods ignore the Survivors in the Woods, and they also ignore the hidden Survivors, so they move towards the Roamer Token. However, Walkers is in the Woods do not ignore the Survivors in the Woods, so they will head to the nearest Survivor in the Woods.

Thanks for reading, and thanks for all the great clarifications I already read on this forum. Cheers!
    Thank you very much for the kind words and the great questions, and we hope that you enjoy your time playing through the game. And of course, if anything here could use more clarification, please feel free to ask.

Hello,
    thanks for the answers and being so reactive! I did miss the difference between range to a figure and range to something else, thanks for pointing this. This will solve some other situations as well.
    To be sure I understand question 3:
    When using stealth and Roamer, you decide Walker behaviour on a Walker by Walker basis: if this walker "spots" a human, it uses standard rule. If not (survivors hidden, or in wood and walker outside wood), it uses expansion rule. I was mislead in thinking either all walkers move as usual of following expansion rule.
    Thanks again. Looking forward to play more scenario, but summer comes to its end and I will have to kill more real life work than Zombies in coming weeks ;-)