Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dark Nights Metal

I've taken a look at the picture shared in the recent announcement that included our first glimpse of Dark Nights Metal. Upon a closer look at the photo, I've managed to glean the following from the back of the box (note that much of this was very difficult to read, so this may not be EXACTLY what is there, and there was one word I couldn't figure out at all):

"BATMAN HAS DISCOVERED A DARK MULTIVERSE AND UNLEASHED EVIL VERSIONS OF HIMSELF UPON OUR WORLD!

The Justice League must band together to defeat Barbatos, The Batman Who Laughs, and their Dark Knights. One Super Hero won't be enough to overcome these challenges. You'll need to save Batman and other captured Super Heroes and recruit them to your team to save the Multiverse!

• Based on highly popular Dark Nights Metal comic book series
    • The Batman Who Laughs (*illegible*) players by Capturing Super Heroes
    • Introduces ability to Rescue and Recruit Super Heroes
    • Super Villains that allow instant rewards when defeated instead of being added to your deck
    • 10 Metal cards with shiny foil included
    • Compatible with other games in DC Deck-Building series"

Of course the foil cards are going to be awesome. However, what I'm MOST excited about here is the third bullet point above: "Introduces ability to Rescue and Recruit Super Heroes".

This would seem to be a concept we've seen twice before, once in a gameplay variant for a base game (Heroes Unite?) and secondly in Multiverse play on the Telos Super-Villain. That concept is that one player can control MULTIPLE Super Heroes at once and have all of their abilities at any given time.

This is something I've long thought could stand to be applied to more DC Deck Building content, and we've even gone so far in my playgroups as to carry over the idea of two-headed (or even three-headed) Heroes into many different styles of play.

I can't wait to see this brand new installment in the DC Collection. I will be ordering my copy as soon as they are available.

What does everyone think about the multiple Heroes thing? Killer concept or game-killing concept?
    Last edited by Broken_Pants; 02-17-2020 at 11:16 PM.

The multiple characters was also present in the Teen Titans Go! Set.
    Nathaniel Yamaguchi
    CZE Playtester & Designer

Quote Originally Posted by aoineko View Post
    The multiple characters was also present in the Teen Titans Go! Set.
    Speaking of which, something I've been wondering about is whether TTG is considered part of the DCDBG line, as I know it was designed with CNCC in mind. I'm not a big fan of TTG, but I'm a collector and can't stand the thought of missing out on part of a series. Is a Randomizer and Multiverse Box divider included?

Baby Yeti
    Quote Originally Posted by Broken_Pants View Post
    Speaking of which, something I've been wondering about is whether TTG is considered part of the DCDBG line, as I know it was designed with CNCC in mind. I'm not a big fan of TTG, but I'm a collector and can't stand the thought of missing out on part of a series. Is a Randomizer and Multiverse Box divider included?
    Yes!

Regarding the multiple characters, Crisis Lex Luthor allows you to recruit other characters as well.

Really excited about this set! It's been a long time since a base set came out. I read this page a couple times already, thanks for writing it out!

I wonder what the foil Metal cards will do? Maybe they're like quest items you get throughout play.

I'm not a huge fan of Recruit sometimes cause it gets too chaotic and there's too much to think about, but willing to give it another shot! (edit: I had meant Recruiting since Rescue is not a mechanic yet).
    Last edited by unLimitedEnds; 02-26-2020 at 02:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by unLimitedEnds View Post
    I'm not a huge fan of Rescue and Recruit sometimes cause it gets too chaotic and there's too much to think about, but willing to give it another shot!
    I take it these mechanics have made an appearance in other games? I haven't dealt with them before. How exactly do they work?

Quote Originally Posted by Broken_Pants View Post
    I take it these mechanics have made an appearance in other games? I haven't dealt with them before. How exactly do they work?
    There has never been Rescue. There has been Recruit in Teen Titans Go!
    Metal's Recruit is much different and doesn't happen every turn like it often does in TTG.
    Original Designer
    DC Deck-Building Game

Any pictures of DC DBG Dark Nights Metal from the Toy Fair? I would like to see some of the upcoming playable characters.

Some pics posted on social media:

Cards.jpg