PDA

View Full Version : IS there any other way of getting packs to play in draft other than buying them?

demis84
06-07-2013, 03:56 PM
Hey guy I am new to TCG. I have read a couple of threads and it seems that the only way PVP is to play drafts which use packs. So do you know if there is a way to earn packs either than having to spend real world money?. Is is possible to buy them using in game currency?, or win them in tournaments that don't require packs or real world money to participate?.

Thanks in advance :)

Tyrfang
06-07-2013, 03:56 PM
You can sell cards for platinum, and then buy the packs on the AH.

wallofomens
06-07-2013, 03:59 PM
Well, you can buy packs off the AH for gold(gold being the PvE currency that you can earn for free), right? Which, if you ask me, is a mistake on Crypto's part - you are losing on a lot of money there, bros!

Tyrfang
06-07-2013, 04:00 PM
Well, you can buy packs off the AH for gold, right? Which, if you ask me, is a mistake on Crypto's part - you are losing on a lot of money there, bros!

The packs have to be bought from/generated by CZE at some point.

TheWrathofShane
06-07-2013, 04:03 PM
When people sell boosters in auction house for PvE gold instead of platinum, I imagine they will be very expensive. Because you are essentially getting something "for free" that is valued at 2 dollars.

Mike411
06-07-2013, 04:03 PM
Well, you can buy packs off the AH for gold(gold being the PvE currency that you can earn for free), right? Which, if you ask me, is a mistake on Crypto's part - you are losing on a lot of money there, bros!

CZE will probably have a fee on successful auctions

Xenavire
06-07-2013, 04:07 PM
Hey guy I am new to TCG. I have read a couple of threads and it seems that the only way PVP is to play drafts which use packs. So do you know if there is a way to earn packs either than having to spend real world money?. Is is possible to buy them using in game currency?, or win them in tournaments that don't require packs or real world money to participate?.

Thanks in advance :)

I think there is a little confusion here - PvP will take many forms, but drafting is the most talked about. You will be able to make a deck and pay a fee for a normal tournament, so that wont be a problem.

I think the confirmed PvP tournament formats are Constructed, Sealed, and Draft? I don't know about Limited and it is too soon for any Legacy/Vintage style - am I missing any guys? Barring wild west/PvE tournaments.

Mr.Funsocks
06-07-2013, 04:18 PM
Yeah, doesn't hurt CZE any to have someone buy a booster off someone else. The 2nd person still bought it off CZE. In fact, because they can sell the boosters for other things, it probably earns CZE more money, as people will buy boosters for themselves, and to sell.

Yasi
06-07-2013, 04:19 PM
There will be 1v1 PvP and possibly 3v3 PvP. Drafting is sort of like a mini tournament.

wallofomens
06-07-2013, 04:30 PM
Yeah, doesn't hurt CZE any to have someone buy a booster off someone else. The 2nd person still bought it off CZE. In fact, because they can sell the boosters for other things, it probably earns CZE more money, as people will buy boosters for themselves, and to sell.

Why would someone buy boosters just to sell them? To get gold? They can just use platinum to get whatever PvE stuff they want. And it does hurt CZE - if buying with gold wasn't an option, then that person would either need to get platinum(spend real money) to buy boosters off the AH or just buy boosters straight from CZE(again spend real money). I guess if it takes too long to grind the gold for boosters then it's okay and also a nice way to get them PvEers hooked on PvP. :)

Talreth
06-07-2013, 04:32 PM
Lots of different ways to PvP but if you really want to get into it, you're gonna have to drop money. Sorry.

Tyrfang
06-07-2013, 04:33 PM
Lots of different ways to PvP but if you really want to get into it, you're gonna have to drop money. Sorry.

Well, that, or NEVER LOSE a draft. Drafts give out enough prize packs to sustain a player who places 1st or 2nd consistently.

ramseytheory
06-07-2013, 04:34 PM
A quick summary:

- Playing casual constructed PVP is completely free, and tournament constructed has about a $1 entrance fee. Your starter deck probably won't be amazing, but depending on how the matchmaking system works this might not be an issue for casual play.

- If you win in draft, you get more boosters. If you're good, you can get more boosters in prizes than you lose in entry fees. At the very least drafts are the cheapest way to build your collection.

- At some point post-launch, player-defined leagues with prizes will be set up. These will almost certainly include a big pauper league (commons and uncommons only), and full pauper playsets are incredibly cheap relative to full regular playsets.

- There will occasionally be official tournaments in pauper format and official tournaments in which PVE stuff is allowed.

- You can sell rare PVE stuff on the auction house for platinum, which you can then use to buy boosters.

- In one of the interviews someone mentioned being able to very occasionally get boosters in PVE. (I assume there's an absolute cap on the number, though.)

- Set 1 is probably going to be massively flooded from the amount of boosters CZE is giving out to backers, so you'll be able to find boosters on the auction house for substantially less than $2 each. Plus the VIP program gives you a few boosters at $1 each and a couple of other benefits.

So basically it's not as expensive as it sounds if you know what you're doing.

keroko
06-07-2013, 04:39 PM
I'm assuming tourney stuff will have an entry fee, and that in those paid tourneys you can win more packs - which in turn could be used in entry...

for example:
entry into sealed tourney <event tickets?? they doing that?> + x unopened booster packs
structure is something such that people get prizes on occasion or on completion of a tourney
those prizes might include more unopened boosters etc.

only one ive seen is mtgo, guessing something ballpark similar.

Tyrfang
06-07-2013, 04:42 PM
Yeah, event tickets will be in the game as part of the entrance fee.

GreyGriffin
06-07-2013, 04:53 PM
Why would someone buy boosters just to sell them? To get gold?

Same reason people buy PLEX and sell it for ISK. Time efficiency.

keroko
06-07-2013, 04:56 PM
plex for isk, yaoi for gil, boosters for bouquets of lotus flowers

Yoss
06-07-2013, 05:04 PM
Also, I wouldn't be all that surprised if someone does like tcgplayer does in real life: crack boosters, then sell off the individual cards at a profit. The limiting factor will be that Plat cannot convert back into $US.

ramseytheory
06-07-2013, 05:07 PM
It can, though - CZE isn't providing a way of doing it yet, but they've said they'd like to and they certainly aren't banning selling things on eBay.

Yoss
06-07-2013, 05:13 PM
...that person would either need to get platinum(spend real money)...Except that you don't have to spend money to get Plat. Time is a resource just like money is. You can buy Plat with time through dungeon crawling and/or raiding. You take your awesome loots to the AH, list them for Plat, and then spend the Plat on boosters (or whatever suits you). Granted, at this point we have no idea how good the market exchange between loots and Plat will be, but if the MMO side of this thing survives then nearly by definition it MUST have a robust economy.

It can, though - CZE isn't providing a way of doing it yet, but they've said they'd like to and they certainly aren't banning selling things on eBay.And to me that's the right way to do it, assuming it's legal. (Someone around here said there were legal hoops to jump through.) The most robust economy is a market economy. As long as they are good at stopping the cheaters (bots, etc.) and as long as they put enough Gold sinks in there to keep the value up, we should be good to go.

Mr.Funsocks
06-07-2013, 05:17 PM
Why would someone buy boosters just to sell them? To get gold? They can just use platinum to get whatever PvE stuff they want. And it does hurt CZE - if buying with gold wasn't an option, then that person would either need to get platinum(spend real money) to buy boosters off the AH or just buy boosters straight from CZE(again spend real money). I guess if it takes too long to grind the gold for boosters then it's okay and also a nice way to get them PvEers hooked on PvP. :)

Well if no one did it, the demand for boosters purchaseable without spending real money would be very very high, and the conversion of $$$ to boosters to gold/Plat would probably be higher than $$$ to plat.

lucedes
06-07-2013, 05:51 PM
the economy is predicated on the idea that PvP requires paid boosters, and PvE does not.
this is why PvE can be free: PvP pays for it.