PDA

View Full Version : We need webcam/VoIP integration!

Bossett
06-08-2013, 01:55 AM
Well, 'need' is probably a bit strong.

But imagine built-in webcam support, so you swap out your champ with your webcam stream and are able to easily chat across the 'table'. This would also be an amazing enabling step to trading 'tables', raiding, etc. It's not something other MMOs can really do, given their nature, but with the 'tabletop' idea, it may really work.

GreyGriffin
06-08-2013, 01:57 AM
Given the preponderance of webcams pointed directly towards unclothed male pubises, I think I will pass. Plus I like playing in my underpants and don't want to be paranoid if my webcam is on.

Fireblast
06-08-2013, 02:03 AM
I DON'T want/care for/need webcam/VoIP.

~

Zarien
06-08-2013, 02:05 AM
I don't think a webcam would be a good idea, but I do think a VoIP service integrated into a function like group trading or such as discussed in this thread http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=25130 would be beneficial.

Bossett
06-08-2013, 02:06 AM
Given the preponderance of webcams pointed directly towards unclothed male pubises, I think I will pass. Plus I like playing in my underpants and don't want to be paranoid if my webcam is on.

This is something that can be managed though - you're in a community where everyone has digital goods 'on the line', and it may well be entirely optional.

The experience I'm trying to capture is walking into a busy room that's bustling with energy - raid channels and bargaining. If it's built-in, it can know about which chat rooms, etc. you've entered.

Punk
06-08-2013, 02:07 AM
Most games that I have played with built-in voice communication has completely sucked and has been more annoying then it has been useful.

I have a Vent server for me and my friends. It costs me like $2 a month.

Zarien
06-08-2013, 02:09 AM
This is something that can be managed though - you're in a community where everyone has digital goods 'on the line', and it may well be entirely optional.

The experience I'm trying to capture is walking into a busy room that's bustling with energy - raid channels and bargaining. If it's built-in, it can know about which chat rooms, etc. you've entered.

The only issue with webcam setups, is your setting another interface and avenue that is difficult to monitor. It won't be just adults playing this game, and sadly, people tend to get out of hand with webcams, as chat roulette has shown. I know we're progressing into a digital age where webcams are becoming a norm in streaming and etc, but i'm not sure webcam's should be something brought into a fledgling game. An argument can be made for VoIP in the form of trading tables and such, we start stretching it with webcams.

Zarien
06-08-2013, 02:12 AM
Most games that I have played with built-in voice communication has completely sucked and has been more annoying then it has been useful.

I have a Vent server for me and my friends. It costs me like $2 a month.

I do the same for my own friends, but sharing that information with other users for trading can be a pain, and not something easily done with some players. I think providing a trading table VoIP service can be beneficial outside of social groups. Anyone who has used MTGO has experience with what trading entails there.

Bossett
06-08-2013, 02:16 AM
I do think that if VoIP happens, webcam capability should go in too - if only to make watching high-level tournaments much more fun (think twitch.tv), while introducing a measure of control so people can't screen watch the other guy.

Thallium45
06-08-2013, 02:18 AM
webcams seem like they would be a great idea but its not secure and anyone could be showing anything

if you want to full immersion play with a tinychat window open and invite the person you are playing with

Zarien
06-08-2013, 02:19 AM
I do think that if VoIP happens, webcam capability should go in too - if only to make watching high-level tournaments much more fun (think twitch.tv), while introducing a measure of control so people can't screen watch the other guy.

I think the only way you could implement webcams, in an on creepy fashion, in todays settings, is through spectator mode, and the coding for including their webcam would be a pain and data nightmare across the network. Honestly I wouldn't ever expect webcams, ever. Spectator/VoIP are the more realistic of integration goals.

Punk
06-08-2013, 02:20 AM
I do the same for my own friends, but sharing that information with other users for trading can be a pain, and not something easily done with some players. I think providing a trading table VoIP service can be beneficial outside of social groups. Anyone who has used MTGO has experience with what trading entails there.

I agree, sometimes it can be a pain exchanging the Server IP, Port and Password. Unless the chat system in Hex is one where it is easy to copy text to your clipboard.

Beastmaster
06-08-2013, 02:23 AM
It would actually be cooler (and eliminate the QC issues) if instead it mapped the facial expressions onto an avatar of champion you are playing.

kind of like this: http://www.logitech.com/en-us/webcam-communications/video-software-services/video-effects

I imagine a table full of orks playing 2 headed giant ;)

saffamike
06-08-2013, 02:29 AM
No thanks. Skype if you want to.

Zomnivore
06-08-2013, 02:34 AM
We don't need either and it'd be a waste of money to invest in both.

Vid chat is a can of worms dumped onto a rotting can of worms.

Voip is just inefficient money expenditure. Teamspeak, Ventrillo, and skype right now can do all you need period, and guess what even steams gotten in on the act. So you can call your friends while you raid or what have you.

Zarien
06-08-2013, 02:39 AM
We don't need either and it'd be a waste of money to invest in both.

Vid chat is a can of worms dumped onto a rotting can of worms.

Voip is just inefficient money expenditure. Teamspeak, Ventrillo, and skype right now can do all you need period, and guess what even steams gotten in on the act. So you can call your friends while you raid or what have you.

A lot of these measures you guys are mentioning are more personal forms of communication that do require actual exchanging of data, like personal servers, skype information, etc. Many of us talking about VoIP services, are saying only in the form of something like in a feature like table trading. Exchanging the information with strangers can be challenging, expecially if we don't have a general chat function. Like i've referenced before, anyone who has actively used the MTGO trading system knows what a hassle it can be to actively trade/negotiate with another player with normal chat interfaces.

PopEye
06-08-2013, 02:50 AM
I dont think the game should have webcam support, its a waste of the game resources and CZE's money imo.
as for VOIP service, it can add alot, especially in PVE Raids and when they implement 2vs2 tournaments.
its not gonna be the end of the world if the game wont have VOIP though, you can always manage with a 3rd party VOIP program.

Gorgol
06-08-2013, 02:57 AM
No thank you

CaptainPuppy
06-08-2013, 02:57 AM
Just have a text chat window and be done with it. And even then you'll get idiots that cuss up a storm and scream obscenities at you. Now imagine they have the ability to do that over voice! No thank you.

Zarien
06-08-2013, 03:01 AM
Just have a text chat window and be done with it. And even then you'll get idiots that cuss up a storm and scream obscenities at you. Now imagine they have the ability to do that over voice! No thank you.

And if it was a function you can mute? Or a table trading queue where you knew you were specifically wanting to talk to people to trade with and not VoIP for the entire game? I think having a specific feature with VoIP enabled like table trading or such with strangers would be fine.

Arbiter
06-08-2013, 03:09 AM
Nope to both. Unfortunately in this case it is a small minority of people who pretty much make sure you it is far too risky to have. Having it in game means some people will be faced with the choice of exposing themselves to abuse or avoiding the feature and being potentially excluded by some people that won't deal with them unless they use voice.

There are third party services that do the job. There are also public vent servers, etc that could be used for massive trading rooms. No one needs to miss out on voice chat if they want it, but having it external protects the more vulnerable of the players of the game.

dwebber88
06-08-2013, 03:16 AM
There are external programs for that, for a reason.

People have been using teamspeak, ventrilo, mumble, skype etc for way more than a decade now.

That way people have a choice to use voice or camerafeed.

- Integrated into the game wouldn't work cuz people prefer external programs over it.
- Voice and video quality will not be optimal, contrary to external programs.
- You would be splitting peoples preferences
- External programs are more managable

Rayous
06-08-2013, 04:43 AM
do any of those programs work on an ipad while you are running annother ap? Remember, vent works great for computers but ipads and many tablets do not have a button to keybind the microphone to.

dwebber88
06-08-2013, 04:56 AM
do any of those programs work on an ipad while you are running annother ap? Remember, vent works great for computers but ipads and many tablets do not have a button to keybind the microphone to.

Option 1:
"TeamSpeak technology provides cross-platform support, strong brand recognition, advanced codec implementation".

Available for every well known platform (including iPhone, iPad, Android phones, Android tablets)

www.teamspeak.com

Option 2:
Mumble platforms: Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Ubuntu, Other linux, iOS

http://mumble.sourceforge.net/

Option 3:
You can use Skype on the following platforms:

Windows
Mac OS X
Linux
Mobile phones and tablets (Windows Phone, Android, iOS, Symbian and others)
PSP
PS Vita
TVs and Blu-ray devices

http://www.skype.com

(for skype you have to add people to your friends list (no channels))

My personal choice:
Teamspeak has really good codecs, low bandwidth requirements, nice graphical user interface, plenty of settings to go around.