PDA

View Full Version : The Ashen and The Hired Horns

Wildling
07-16-2013, 01:52 PM
or "which side would they join?"

Simply put, here you can discuss how the different races of the Ardent and the Underworld would fit into those organizations. For example, the Coyotle's description mentions that they are a fairly peaceful race and prefer to stealth away from a fight if possible. However, would a Coyotle agree to slip narcotics into a general's drink? Would it agree to steal important documents, or even accept a mission to assassinate someone? Based on what has been revealed so far the Coyotle seem to have little interest in the other races' politics. So what kind of Coyotle would it take to join such a shifty organization in the first place?

To provide a different example, most Orcs, at least their Warriors and perhaps their Mages as well would seem like a nice fit for The Hired Horns. Of course, Rogues and Rangers might be a completely different story. Humans and Elves as well as most of the Underworld races could probably go either way.

Well, that's just my opinion on the matter. What do you think?

HyenaNipples
07-16-2013, 10:15 PM
I'm curious as to who exactly you mean.

Do you mean the player characters or individual NPCs of those respective races? I would think that most 'commoners' of each race would not join either faction, as they would remain with their society.

Wildling
07-16-2013, 11:19 PM
I agree with you there. I was referring to player characters and NPCs, just as you thought.

I'm also curious if there'll be a third faction focusing on magic pursuits.

HyenaNipples
07-17-2013, 06:50 AM
In that case, I would think those few NPCs (and PCs) of a race exhibit an individualism from their race's social norms simply by leading a life of adventure. They are eccentrics who, for whatever reason, have taken a path away from their respective societies. As a result, I think you are going along the right path in that the physical capabilities of a race are much more determinate of their eventual calling than the generalized 'racial profile' of their racial group.

These eccentrics already have unique personality quirks that leads them to a life away from their people, so it's a small jump to assume that they are equally individual in their morality when compared to the status quo of their race. Thus, just because the coyotle are 'peaceful' it doesn't eliminate the chance that a few outliers wouldn't savor conflict or murder.

If the story of Drizzt Do'Urden has taught us anything, it's that people love characters who break out of the 'race description' found in the user's manual.