PDA

View Full Version : The many differencees between HEX and MTGO

zolop
05-15-2014, 07:49 AM
Something to share with Wizards of the Coast that makes HEX wonderfully more fun than Magic the Gathering (online) and the many differences

I am under the impression that hex right now has no NDA...Please feel free moderators to inform me if I have been misinformed!

-HEX Player Raids (in Development)
-Socketed cards
-Cards that retain attributes in different zones
-Treasure Chests
-Player versus Environment Content
-Player Keeps
-Threshold
-3 resources
-Leveling up Champions (in development)
-Guild Clan functionality (in Development)
-Decks can be loaned for use by other clan/guild members
-cheaper virtual goods (Boosters/Decks)compared to other DTCGs
-crafting (in Development)
-and many other features

Please add more with your replies...we are a large community I am sure we can come up with a lot.

Sereaphim
05-15-2014, 08:07 AM
- buffs and debuffs stay on cards until they get revert
- tokens can stay in all zone (deck, graveyard, exile...)
- resource system doesn't require that you exhaust the right lands to play card and make some 4 or 5 color decks easier to play

Krond
05-15-2014, 09:07 AM
- crush works differently than trample, despite the suit claiming they are identical.
- UI in HEX is not made in MS Paint, and is intuitive and easy to use.
- equipment slots on champions/mercenaries effect their text in PVE.
- resource system has many key differences when compared to the land system.
- players have charge powers.

More to come

Eierdotter
05-15-2014, 09:07 AM
well the points made by wizard were not about the differences,
but rather about them claiming the biggest core designs of a cardgame with prioritys...
(winning by putting the opponent to 0 life, or having 60 card decksize, drawing 1 card a turn, etc.)

i see it more like a example with a car
wizard set trademarks for a driverschair, 4 tires, a stiring wheel and a shell to protect you from the weather
hex made a car with a driverseat, 4 tires, a joystick and a painted shell to protect you from the weather + a radio, and a storage in the back of the car.

so the core is exactly the same with different names but they added some features

I see the main differences here:
Magic is a printed card game
Duels of the Planeswalkers is a finished game with no buy to collect aspect without deckbuilding (it is a different game than magic imo)
MTGO interface made for DOS?

HEX is a online only card game
Warzone looks very similar to DotP (due to same genre; compare Battlefield and CoD)
MTGO and HEX interfaces do not look alike

Since Magic also produced cards and mechanics for over 20 years the design space is like a minefield.
I do not know all magic cards but i would assume there are a bunch of different cards that draw 2 cards for manacost of 1,2,3,4,5,6 and have the most creative negative to positive additional cost/effect to make up for the low/high cost.
the chance to design a already existing card is almost guaranteed since Magic an HEX share almost the same powerlevel of cards.

Xexist
05-15-2014, 09:39 AM
I dont want to bash MTG, because I had played it and enjoyed it years ago, but I spent a little on MTGO and eventually stopped, it was too expensive and just not fun.

Hex on the other hand is innovating, they didnt copy the game they CHANGED the game (figuratively and literally). Its like MTG had a baby with WoW and has the potential to be bigger and better. Its still a little expensive when you wanna draft 5 times a day, but there will be so much more value when PVE comes around.

Hieronymous
05-15-2014, 09:51 AM
Something to share with Wizards of the Coast that makes HEX wonderfully more fun than Magic the Gathering (online) and the many differences

The main significant differences in terms of game structure are the existence of champions and champion powers, the threshold/resource system which is significantly different from MTG, and the fact that the "cards" are digital rather than physical and thus have characteristics that MTG, and even MTG:O, cannot have, such as persistence of alterations between zones, replication, socketing, spontaneous generation of new "cards," and so forth: MTG and MTG:O can't do those things because they're bound up with physical cards in a way that Hex isn't.

More to the point though anyone who's played Magic can take one look at Hex and will instantly know it's a different game. They may even think "wow, that game is a lot like Magic" but they'll also inherently realize that it isn't Magic, because the terminology is different, the artwork is different, the symbols and marks are different, etc.

Turtlewing
05-15-2014, 10:28 AM
The main significant differences in terms of game structure are the existence of champions and champion powers, the threshold/resource system which is significantly different from MTG, and the fact that the "cards" are digital rather than physical and thus have characteristics that MTG, and even MTG:O, cannot have, such as persistence of alterations between zones, replication, socketing, spontaneous generation of new "cards," and so forth: MTG and MTG:O can't do those things because they're bound up with physical cards in a way that Hex isn't.

More to the point though anyone who's played Magic can take one look at Hex and will instantly know it's a different game. They may even think "wow, that game is a lot like Magic" but they'll also inherently realize that it isn't Magic, because the terminology is different, the artwork is different, the symbols and marks are different, etc.

Actually Champions (the PvP implementation at least) is just Magic's Vanguard (http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/article/Vanguard) set with the serial numbers filed off and tied into the new resource system.

Though it's worth adding the Lore and setting to the list of differences. hex has several original races, and has assigned some of the common themes to different colors/shards (notably the necrotic being tied to diamond gems).

zolop
05-15-2014, 11:07 AM
Actually Champions (the PvP implementation at least) is just Magic's Vanguard (http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/article/Vanguard) set with the serial numbers filed off and tied into the new resource system.

Though it's worth adding the Lore and setting to the list of differences. hex has several original races, and has assigned some of the common themes to different colors/shards (notably the necrotic being tied to diamond gems).

Also to note Champions are fighting for your Keep, not just for the wizard another major difference. The fact that they can level their abilities in PvE content is another glaring distinction. Also being able to equip champions with items is still another difference. Also like you said the use a different resource system and different lore to Magic's Vanguards.

DirtFarmer
05-15-2014, 12:39 PM
CZE gets my money, MTGO does not. that's the only one that matters to me :)

dasn00b
05-16-2014, 08:14 AM
Game differences:
- In Hex, token troops removed from play still exist in the game in another zone. In Magic, a token creature that leaves play isn't just exiled, it ceases to exist in the game in any form.
- As part of the standard game of Hex, there are cards/effects that make it possible to draw cards into your hand from your opponent's deck, as well as shuffle cards that you own or control into your opponent's deck. This concept does not and cannot exist in a standard game of Magic.
- In Hex, cards/effects can make permanent (for the duration of the game or until reverted) changes to cards that are still in the opponent's deck. Again, this concept does not and cannot exist in Magic.

Real-world differences:
- When it comes to critical issues, HEX Entertainment actually listens to its community of players and attempts to take actions that are helpful to improving the user experience; Wizards of the Coast tends to act the opposite way.
- According to the Hex community in general, over time, the quality of and the player experience with the Hex client has improved. According to the Magic community in general, over time, the quality of and the player experience with the MTGO client has steadily gotten worse.
- The barriers to and cost of entry for any type of player is significantly lower in Hex than in Magic.
- Hex has already gotten some of my money and has a decent chance of getting more of it. MTGO has always had and will always have a 0% chance of getting any of my money unless Hasbro/Wizards steals it via the pending suit.

Jaunt
05-16-2014, 08:20 AM
Magic is the second best game by Richard Garfield.

Hex is the first best game by Cryptozoic.

Hieronymous
05-16-2014, 08:28 AM
Game differences:
- In Hex, token troops removed from play still exist in the game in another zone. In Magic, a token creature that leaves play isn't just exiled, it ceases to exist in the game in any form.
- As part of the standard game of Hex, there are cards/effects that make it possible to draw cards into your hand from your opponent's deck, as well as shuffle cards that you own or control into your opponent's deck. This concept does not and cannot exist in a standard game of Magic.
- In Hex, cards/effects can make permanent (for the duration of the game or until reverted) changes to cards that are still in the opponent's deck. Again, this concept does not and cannot exist in Magic.

Another angle on this is that the word "card" means two different things in Hex and in Magic.

In Magic, a "card" is a physical object, and even in MTGO, the cards are just digital representations of physical objects. There is no MTGO "card" that you can't walk into a gaming store and buy a physical printed copy of, and in fact, you can trade in your digital MTGO cards for a set of physical cards (and I believe vice-versa?).

In Hex, the "cards" are digital objects that could not exist in physical form. They have three sides (including the "double back"). They interact with each other in ways that would be impractical or impossible in a physical card deck. They create, destroy, and alter each other in ways physical cards could not mimic. You cannot trade them in or exchange them for physical copies, or vice-versa, because physical copies cannot exist.

It's easy to look at a Magic card and a Hex card and think they're superficially similar because they might have similar language and similar colored symbols. But the symbols actually mean substantively different things -- threshold functions differently from mana in significant ways, "death" effects are substantively different when they don't remove counters or alterations, so on and so forth. It's a different game.

DuroNL
05-16-2014, 10:47 AM
MtG does not have Escalation :P

MtG does not have Shin'aire ^^

PvE, biggest difference, and the main driver for the folks at CZE to make Hex!!!
We all know they had to bring in PvP first to get in the hardcore gamers, but its the PvE that will set a new game catagorie

MMO TCG....

MtG is not and will never become an MMO TCG ^^

Yoss
05-16-2014, 10:57 AM
Do you have master/pet card memory on the list yet?

Symbology?

Card layout?

Inability to respond to certain triggers (untargeted ones)?

Artwork?

Lore?

rjselzler
05-16-2014, 01:11 PM
Deck interaction is far more robust in Hex. Consider Gearsmith (http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/#!/cards/cardid=337&search=gearsmith); he does something that Magic cannot do, period: puts a specific card type into your hand without the other player knowing what card it is and permanently reduces its cost. Because MODO follows a physical card game, it won't ever happen in that digital space, because it can't happen in a physical space. Likewise, cards like Reginald Lancaster (http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/#!/cards/cardid=348&search=regin) woudl be exceedingly hard to pull off and require an immense amount of honesty. The game just isn't set up to do it.

This is really the biggest difference with Hex, regardless of the ethical considerations surrounding a "tribute" game; Hex does more in its digital/design space than a digital game (MODO) that only follows a physical medium (MtG) can ever even dream of doing, short of every single magic game requiring a neutral third party acting as GM in the physical world.

GreyGriffin
05-16-2014, 03:14 PM
I agree with several above posters that the key difference is that a Hex card transcends physical space. They are able to be created from the ether, modified in ways impossible to track in a physical, tabletop environment, then are deployed in equally impossible ways, such as shuffling multiple copies back into your deck. Card stats are tracked digitally, giving specific cards unique provenance and awards from tournaments and other achievements. Cards can be socketed with gems pregame and between games, changing their functionality, in some cases dramatically.

There are enough differences to really call it a marked evolution. Just at this early stage, a lot of the groundwork looks similar because the baseline for mechanics and balance are just similar to TCGs, of which Magic is just the largest example.

darkwonders
05-16-2014, 05:54 PM
Magic doesn't have transforming and evolving cards.

Arbiter
05-16-2014, 09:22 PM
Magic doesn't have transforming and evolving cards.

Actually they have had a few implementations of them.