PDA

View Full Version : Finished with this game.

TheSwallowsNest
05-17-2014, 12:07 AM
I can't stand being resource screwed anymore.

KnowingCrow
05-17-2014, 12:45 AM
Maybe you shouldn't play games with variance.

Or put more resources in your deck.

israel.kendall
05-17-2014, 12:47 AM
Your stuff. Can I have it?

Mushroom_C1oud
05-17-2014, 12:58 AM
I see you created a new account just to make a troll thread.

zz_tophat
05-17-2014, 12:58 AM
Just curious; how many resources do you run in an average deck? How many different types of threshold?

ursa23
05-17-2014, 01:01 AM
It's true, games with Hex's level of randomness aren't for everyone. My boardgame group has some deep divides over the "correct" amount of random in a game. Maybe the guaranteed resources of Hearthstone suit you better. That's just fine, it's a matter of taste and preference. I and many others here happen to disagree. This does not make you wrong, but it might make Hex wrong for you. I'm sorry you feel like you have to go, and may you enjoy the games you do end up playing.

Fateanomaly
05-17-2014, 01:21 AM
Try putting 24 shards in your deck. If you are using 2 types of shard, then consider putting in shards of fate to minimize not getting the correct threshold.

frychikn
05-17-2014, 01:49 AM
i think its funny that it sounds like some of you are saying "if you have the right amount of shards you dont get mana screwed"

i run 18 shards in all my draft decks, and ill still get mana screwed. lets stop pretending like if you have X resources in your deck you wont even get screwed.

thank you to the 1 realistic person who mentions randomness and doesnt blame it on "you arnt playing the right # of resources"

Guap
05-17-2014, 01:50 AM
There are few things in this game more frustrating than running 17 shards in a 40 card draft deck and then being flooded/screwed and drawing nothing but shard/no shard for 4-6 turns. I've lost numerous drafts with very good decks not to better decks or players but because of resource screw/flood. If you run 18 shards your more likely to be flooded. It is easily the most frustrating thing about this game. Not sure what the answer to the problem is, but it is a thing.

Khazrakh
05-17-2014, 01:57 AM
The answer is pretty simple really - randomness is part of the game and that's not going to change.
More and better ways of ressource-fixing will come with future sets but if you never draw them they still don't help.
Yes, it can be frustrating to lose because you just didn't draw the shard you needed, but it's like the game works and it's not going to change.

On an unrelated note: @TheSwallowsNest - Can I have your cards?

ev1lb0b
05-17-2014, 01:59 AM
Try putting 24 shards in your deck. If you are using 2 types of shard, then consider putting in shards of fate to minimize not getting the correct threshold.

I understand where the OP is coming from, it's no fun losing because the shuffler decides to give you 6 resources in a row despite having a perfect curve and resource count and it seems to happen all to often despite what people say about it being exactly as it should be. Despite Hearthstones faults at least games are won or lost mostly through deck building/player skill rather than resource RNG deciding some games before a card is even played.

mmac900
05-17-2014, 02:08 AM
I understand where the OP is coming from, it's no fun losing because the shuffler decides to give you 6 resources in a row despite having a perfect curve and resource count and it seems to happen all to often despite what people say about it being exactly as it should be. Despite Hearthstones faults at least games are won or lost mostly through deck building/player skill rather than resource RNG deciding some games before a card is even played.

I keep saying this, reducing variance can only be a good thing, but everyone is still of the mtg mentality. Hex is supposed to change for the better, not continue the same bs trend,

omghex
05-17-2014, 02:12 AM
You don't like randomness, don't play the game. Play chess, or Go. Hex's resource system is much less difficult than MTG's, sure you still get screwed sometimes, but at least in Hex there are less ways to get screwed.

mmac900
05-17-2014, 02:23 AM
You don't like randomness, don't play the game. Play chess, or Go. Hex's resource system is much less difficult than MTG's, sure you still get screwed sometimes, but at least in Hex there are less ways to get screwed.

Another helpful reply. I never said kill the randomness, but reduce it. For example, a free mulligan when you have all shards or no shards opening hand at the very least.

Also, last I checked people are allowed to have opinions in a free country, yano, this thing called democracy?

Ali3nSan
05-17-2014, 03:03 AM
I have been shard [Apparently Mana is a MTG word] drowned and screwed. It is extremely frustrating, but I do believe it is possible to get just shards and just non resource cards.

Its how the game would work in real life. I have played many TCG's and its as much a part of a TCG as bullets are to an FPS.

I have started adding a few more 1 and 2 cost troops to offset the shard screw and also have settled on 16 shards as optimum for my play style...

Axle
05-17-2014, 03:13 AM
I keep saying this, reducing variance can only be a good thing, but everyone is still of the mtg mentality. Hex is supposed to change for the better, not continue the same bs trend,

I'm someone who played Hearthstone since Closed Beta here. Since before I found HEX. Hearthstone isn't fun for me because every game plays exactly the same. Just watch the game and you'll see the streamers call out what their opponent will do and get it right 9/10. The game is Magic Lite anyways though since the differences it has from mtg aren't anything added to it but rather things that MTG had are removed from it.

ossuary
05-17-2014, 04:45 AM
Bye! Don't let the door hit you on the way out. :)

Hexmage
05-17-2014, 05:26 AM
Another helpful reply. I never said kill the randomness, but reduce it. For example, a free mulligan when you have all shards or no shards opening hand at the very least.

Also, last I checked people are allowed to have opinions in a free country, yano, this thing called democracy?

All this will due is reduce the number of resources players will play, since they get a free mulligan when they don't have any resources anyway.

Diesbudt
05-17-2014, 05:33 AM
Randomness is a part of TCGs. Whether it is resourse flood or screw (Magic, Hex) or Curve Flood / Screw (Hearthstone, WowTcg) or any variance of other random factors. The one thing though that can't be emphasized enough if it takes good deck building skills to minimize said randomness. The number of shards, the cards used to combo said shards, along with how many colors/cards costs.

DuroNL
05-17-2014, 05:47 AM
QQ... *Waves*

Its random shuffling, derp

majin
05-17-2014, 05:48 AM
don't like the luck factor on tcgs? then this type (not just Hex) is not for you. it's fair because the randomness is experienced by everyone. if it's only you who experience it, then that's not fair but it is not the case

AstaSyneri
05-17-2014, 07:03 AM
It's statistics, not luck. Pure probabilities.

18 cards in a 60 card deck? That's really risky. When I play decks with 22 resources - that's already asking for being shard-screwed. The solution is called Hypergeometric Distribution.

http://stattrek.com/online-calculator/hypergeometric.aspx

The chance to have 0 or 1 shard in your first hand is 31.43% (if you only play 18 resources).

At 24 it's only 14.27%

Pick your poison. In Warlord: Saga of the Storm you had 20-sided dice plus card draw. It never really was a problem, but some people just felt uncomfortable with it.

Kami
05-17-2014, 07:19 AM
This thread is not constructive.

While it's sad to see a community member leave, this type of thread is wholly inappropriate.