PDA

View Full Version : 'battle' mechanics.

Jarric
05-20-2014, 03:33 PM
I encountered this last night in a tournament. Guy plays the battle squirrel and targets my mechanical flying Dion. (At work on phone can't easily look up names) I then ruby aura mine to give it 1 more attack and swift strike. Both units died. When I asked in gen chat in game I was told swift strike doesn't apply cause it is tied to an assign dog step that isn't used in battles. This doesn't make sense. If 'battles' have their own set of rules then that needs to be explained. I was told there is a comprehensive rules coming .... it should have already been her

Imo in a battle I should keep all my abilities on my unit to defend myself with.

BossHoss
05-20-2014, 03:41 PM
Imagine you and I are fighting on a Shard fuelled magical level.
Your size and strength can be described as 4 attack and 4 defense.
My stats are the same but... I happen to be faster (Swiftstrike).
We "spiritually" battle with physical consequences.
We both do our strength in damage to eachother and the speed of the attack does not matter as there was no physical fight.

Diesbudt
05-20-2014, 03:51 PM
Survival of the fittest and squirrel do not involve any effects like swiftstrike, crush and so on. (lifedrain is the exception)

Indormi
05-20-2014, 03:55 PM
Battle: each troop deals damage equal to their attack to each other (roughly). So only effects that trigger from damage(to troops) apply.

Jarric
05-20-2014, 03:58 PM
Survival of the fittest and squirrel do not involve any effects like swiftstrike, crush and so on. (lifedrain is the exception)

Oh I now understand this but no where that I have seen has this been stated. It also makes no sense why some abilities will work and some won't. Barring boss' s explanation which didn't make sense to me. Felt like is was a made up story to justify the result.

nicosharp
05-20-2014, 03:58 PM
http://f31812b0b389f16c3943-bb9edd4f1582b9b60c1682bd9d280aa0.r48.cf2.rackcdn.c om/HEX_FAQ_1-3.pdf

Page 3
Read SwiftStrike description, then read Battle concept.
The most confusing thing though is Lifedrain functions differently. If you battle and your troop has lifedrain, you still gain Health. That is because lifedrain triggers off any damage, and Swiftstrike only triggers during combat damage.

Rycajo
05-20-2014, 03:59 PM
I agree that this needs to be explained a bit better. CZE will get to it when they can. Too many features are at the top of the priority list at this point.

Jarric
05-20-2014, 03:59 PM
Battle: each troop deals damage equal to their attack to each other (roughly). So only effects that trigger from damage(to troops) apply.

Swift strike pertains to dmg ... when damage is dealt I deal it first.

bactgudz
05-20-2014, 04:00 PM
Oh I now understand this but no where that I have seen has this been stated. It also makes no sense why some abilities will work and some won't. Barring boss' s explanation which didn't make sense to me. Felt like is was a made up story to justify the result.

I think they felt like they don't have to state it yet since it is exactly the same as in mtg. Trample<->Crush, First Stirke<->Swiftstrike don't affect creatures<->troops battling<->fighting whereas lifelink<->lifedrain does.

Marsden
05-20-2014, 04:03 PM
It's explained clearly in the FAQ.

BlueRider
05-20-2014, 04:08 PM
Swift strike pertains to dmgNo, it doesn't.

Swiftswtrike is a keyword power that troops can have. It means:
This troop deals combat damage before troops without Swiftstrike.

Some cards may cause two troops to battle one another. When two troops battle, they each deal damage equal to their attack to the other troop.

Damage dealt in a battle is not combat damage.

Jarric
05-20-2014, 04:17 PM
I think they felt like they don't have to state it yet since it is exactly the same as in mtg. Trample<->Crush, First Stirke<->Swiftstrike don't affect creatures<->troops battling<->fighting whereas lifelink<->lifedrain does.

Lol this comment just fuels the lawsuit. If they don't explain things cause they are like magic lol. Assume I haven't played magic that is how things should be explained.

Nicosharp that faq is helpful thank you for the link. I still don't completely agree to the mechanics but I wont be caught by surprise from it again either.

nicosharp
05-20-2014, 04:24 PM
Nicosharp that faq is helpful thank you for the link. I still don't completely agree to the mechanics but I wont be caught by surprise from it again either.
Welcome, They supplied it to all kickstarter backers when Closed beta laucnhed. Not sure if it's in a easy to find place on the forums.. I was questioning something a while back, and people reminded me of the FAQ, so now I am returning the favor.

Xexist
05-20-2014, 04:45 PM

+1 Troll point

funktion
05-20-2014, 04:50 PM
Swift strike pertains to dmg ... when damage is dealt I deal it first.

Not sure if someone has beaten me to this... swift strike applies to combat, not damage. Lifedrain applies to damage though for what it is worth.

Rycajo
05-20-2014, 04:51 PM

Except Trample does not equal Crush. That one has been changed in a way that makes more sense (to myself at least). Perhaps we will eventually see subtle differences in the other abilities.

zadies
05-20-2014, 05:51 PM
Swiftstrike is a phase in combat. Battle is not a combat phase thus swiftstrike does not occur.

Freebird_Falcon
05-20-2014, 06:37 PM
It'd be good if "battle" was clickable for a description or something for those unfamiliar with the effect because this seems like a common misinterpretation.