PDA

View Full Version : Let's speculate: What cards are gonna be heavily demanded?

ylhos
05-28-2014, 05:43 PM
My first choice is going to be Chronic Madness.

This card is just powerful, and IMO is one of the top cards of the set. It's an escalation that ONLY cost 1 resource! I also have NEVER seen this card at all in drafts. Either it's just instantly taken, or this card is simply one of the rarer rares in the set.

What do you guys think?

FlyingMeatchip
05-28-2014, 05:49 PM
It seems to me that The Angel of Dawn and Vampire King will be the most sought after cards of all of em.

ylhos
05-28-2014, 05:51 PM
Ah yea! Both cards have netted me wins in drafts :)

jonsnow2000
05-28-2014, 05:52 PM
Chronic Madness: It certainly will be a staple card for Mill decks. But heavily demanded? I dunno, I think once the AH is up, this will be going cheap - many ppl won't bother with Mill decks and therefore dump this or use it for crafting.

Werlix
05-28-2014, 05:55 PM
My first choice is going to be Chronic Madness.

This card is just powerful, and IMO is one of the top cards of the set. It's an escalation that ONLY cost 1 resource! I also have NEVER seen this card at all in drafts. Either it's just instantly taken, or this card is simply one of the rarer rares in the set.

What do you guys think?

Mill decks can be fun but aren't very competitive (at least from what we've seen so far) so I think this card will be somewhere in the middle in terms of demand. Might be around 100-250 plat each.

ylhos
05-28-2014, 05:58 PM
Chronic Madness: It certainly will be a staple card for Mill decks. But heavily demanded? I dunno, I think once the AH is up, this will be going cheap - many ppl won't bother with Mill decks and therefore dump this or use it for crafting.

The way I see it, is that chronic madness can be use in other decks, not specifically for mill decks. Taking out 4 cards (+escalation) for the mere price of 1 resource is just crazy. No matter what circumstance you will always get value starting on the first cast. Four cards will on average take out 2 resources and two other cards, that will save you a counterspell, or using a hard removal for.

On top of that, the card also gives the user a look at the construction of the opponent's deck, which can definitely help the user decide how to play out the game.

Thraeg
05-28-2014, 06:11 PM
The way I see it, is that chronic madness can be use in other decks, not specifically for mill decks. Taking out 4 cards (+escalation) for the mere price of 1 resource is just crazy. No matter what circumstance you will always get value starting on the first cast. Four cards will on average take out 2 resources and two other cards, that will save you a counterspell, or using a hard removal for.

That's a fallacy. You're using a card from your hand, and not removing any cards from their hand or board. Removing cards from their deck doesn't actually hurt them on average until they run out and lose the game. Of course, it's always possible that you'll mill away a card that they needed, but it's just as likely that the card they needed was 5 cards down, and you've gotten them closer to it. So on balance, it averages out.

ylhos
05-28-2014, 06:23 PM
That's a fallacy. You're using a card from your hand, and not removing any cards from their hand or board. Removing cards from their deck doesn't actually hurt them on average until they run out and lose the game. Of course, it's always possible that you'll mill away a card that they needed, but it's just as likely that the card they needed was 5 cards down, and you've gotten them closer to it. So on balance, it averages out.

Definitely. In a 60-deck construction, milling will generally have near no effect in the outcome of cards coming into their hands or into play. But seeing what cards are going out gives the user enormous insight into the opponents game. Consider a scenario where user casts 2 chronic madness early in the game. User has basically seen close to 25% of the opponents deck. Although this will put user in a 2 deficit card disadvantage. But it's not much of a problem for sapphire with the plenty options for draws.

I might be just too hot for the card. But if it doesn't get much love in the market. I'll be happier to grab em it at a bargain :)

Shivdaddy
05-28-2014, 07:18 PM
Unless this game blows up with new non kick starter people, cards will far out number people, even the legendary cards. I think the only thing that will be worth anything are rare chest drops, assuming they are really rare.

HyenaNipples
05-28-2014, 07:20 PM
I would say that most anything you want 4 of for a deck are going to have more demand than others. Pack Raptor, Ragefire, Crash of Beasts, the Incantations (maybe) etc.

frychikn
05-28-2014, 07:28 PM
Unless this game blows up with new non kick starter people, cards will far out number people, even the legendary cards. I think the only thing that will be worth anything are rare chest drops, assuming they are really rare.

pretty much this. once trading is available, i dont see anything going for much on the AH. and unless the PVE is amazing and actually comes out sometime soon, i dont think the player base will be large enough to offset this

ylhos
05-28-2014, 10:24 PM

Makes sense. I hope it doesn't come to that. We're going to need a lot more non-kickstarters to create a thriving market for set 001. Will definitely see a different story for Set 002 though, if the game stabilizes or become more popular.

Deathfog
06-02-2014, 12:36 AM
Don't think there is much of an issue in getting players once open beta starts. This is a game that sold out the $250 Pro tier in how many days? and made over $2+ million in KS, once the servers and economy can handle the load the the hordes will come.

Even in closed beta at nearly any point in the day you can easily get in a draft with minimal wait time.

Viziroth
06-02-2014, 05:49 AM

I sort of doubt that. We were discussing our collection in game and even people who've purchased multiple 250+ tiers don't have full play sets yet. I'm only at king tier, but with drafting I've opened nearly 200 packs and am still 280 cards short of a play set, all rares and legendaries, and I only have about 10-11 rares over play sets and no excess legendary.

Commons will completely flood the market, I myself have about 3 completely common play sets and about 80% of the commons I have 5 or 6 play sets. However, there's even some GK tier's that are missing 1 or two uncommons from their collections, and I wouldn't have play set of uncommons if it wasn't for drafts.

There are 341 cards in this set. 23 Legendaries, 106 rares, 99 uncommons, and 113 commons. Without trading it would take 516 packs with no more than 4 copies of any single rare or legendary to get a play set of cards ((23 legendaries + 106 rares)*4). This means for every player to get a play set of cards with trading 516 perfect packs need to be opened per player, that's not going to happen and the ratio will probably be more along the lines of 700 packs per player need to be opened for everyone to have a play set. Even with perfect packs though, how many rewards are over 500 packs? Oh yeah, none. The only reward tiers that have guaranteed play sets with just KS rewards are primal and above. We're not going to have a massive surplus of rares and legendaries.

noragar
06-02-2014, 06:15 AM
Legendaries only fall 1 in 9 packs, so to get a play set of legendaries, it would take 23*9*4 = 828 packs with perfect distribution.

If you consider primal packs falling at about 2% though, that number would drop to the mid-600's.

Viziroth
06-02-2014, 06:29 AM
Legendaries only fall 1 in 9 packs, so to get a play set of legendaries, it would take 23*9*4 = 828 packs with perfect distribution.

If you consider primal packs falling at about 2% though, that number would drop to the mid-600's.

Exactly, and most people don't even have 200 packs. Many people who are already piling money into this game are still shy of 400. There is no reason to think set 1 rares and legendaries are going to plummet in price.

Svenn
06-02-2014, 07:47 AM
Vampire King and Angel of Dawn, definitely. I wonder if Argus or Eternal Guardian will be worth much as they are both pretty powerful (though expensive). Fist of Briggadon was very popular in beta, but I'm not sure if ramp decks will be as popular.

I'm crossing my fingers that Bird of Plenty is worth a lot, these things love me. I'm up to 10+ of them (meanwhile I'm sitting at 1 of a bunch of other rares).

Xenavire
06-02-2014, 07:51 AM
Vampire King and Angel of Dawn, definitely. I wonder if Argus or Eternal Guardian will be worth much as they are both pretty powerful (though expensive). Fist of Briggadon was very popular in beta, but I'm not sure if ramp decks will be as popular.

I'm crossing my fingers that Bird of Plenty is worth a lot, these things love me. I'm up to 10+ of them (meanwhile I'm sitting at 1 of a bunch of other rares).

BoP is going to be a control deck staple I am guessing, so if I am on the money with this one, so are you. :p

CaravelBoomer
06-03-2014, 10:35 AM
Based on what I knew of the metagame before the Beta

Top Tier:

Angel of Dawn (Legendary) (This card is UTTERLY bananas and shouldn't exist in it's current form but since it does now and forever will, get 4)
Vampire King (Legendary) (This card is also completely insane, get 4)

Mid-Tier

Urunaaz (Legendary) (1-of Finisher)
Jadhim (Legendary)
Xentoth's Inquisitor (Rare) (This might even be with the Top 2)
Extinction (Rare) (well duh)
Soul Marble (Rare) (Any Diamond Deck want's at least 1-2)
Living Totem (Rare) (Good in beatdown or control)
Eldritch Abomination (Rare) (Unblockable with all the nutty "punch you" gems? ouch)
Ragefire (Rare) (Best Burn Spell in the game by a HUGE margin)
Gore-Feast (Rare) (Beatdown finisher/OTK card)
Chimes of the Zodiac (Rare) (1-of in control/Combo potential w/ Escalation)
Menacing Gralk (Rare) (OTK decks and stall decks)
Storm Colossus (1 of finisher, really tough to deal with)
Temporal Mastery (Legendary) (Combo card, 1-2 of possibly in tempo)
Cerulean Mirror Knight (Rare) (Played in every mid-range Sapphire deck to recover from Extinction)

Possible Pick Ups
Bird O' Plenty (Rare - Dependent on Popularity of Blood/Diamond as useless vs Zared)
Eye of Creation (Nerfed pretty hard but definitely has potential)
Eternal Guardian (Hard as nails but 8 is a lot of mana if you can't reliably cheat him in)
Argus (It's a freakin' DOOM LAZOR!!)

hammer
06-03-2014, 10:48 AM
Based on what I knew of the metagame before the Beta

Top Tier:

Angel of Dawn (Legendary) (This card is UTTERLY bananas and shouldn't exist in it's current form but since it does now and forever will, get 4)
Vampire King (Legendary) (This card is also completely insane, get 4)

Mid-Tier

Urunaaz (Legendary) (1-of Finisher)
Jadhim (Legendary)
Xentoth's Inquisitor (Rare) (This might even be with the Top 2)
Extinction (Rare) (well duh)
Soul Marble (Rare) (Any Diamond Deck want's at least 1-2)
Living Totem (Rare) (Good in beatdown or control)
Eldritch Abomination (Rare) (Unblockable with all the nutty "punch you" gems? ouch)
Ragefire (Rare) (Best Burn Spell in the game by a HUGE margin)
Gore-Feast (Rare) (Beatdown finisher/OTK card)
Chimes of the Zodiac (Rare) (1-of in control/Combo potential w/ Escalation)
Menacing Gralk (Rare) (OTK decks and stall decks)
Storm Colossus (1 of finisher, really tough to deal with)
Temporal Mastery (Legendary) (Combo card, 1-2 of possibly in tempo)
Cerulean Mirror Knight (Rare) (Played in every mid-range Sapphire deck to recover from Extinction)

Possible Pick Ups
Bird O' Plenty (Rare - Dependent on Popularity of Blood/Diamond as useless vs Zared)
Eye of Creation (Nerfed pretty hard but definitely has potential)
Eternal Guardian (Hard as nails but 8 is a lot of mana if you can't reliably cheat him in)
Argus (It's a freakin' DOOM LAZOR!!)

Temporal Mastery :p I assume you mean Mastery of Time and I want some Eldritch Abomination :)

Zophie
06-03-2014, 11:08 AM
Pack Raptor, Ancestor's Chosen, Bird of Plenty are ones I can see being sought after.

As far as Chronic Madness being useful in non-mill decks, remember that there are several cards that utilize the graveyard like Call the Grave, Carrion Blob, Uruunaz, etc... Being able to fill up a graveyard slightly faster to use as a resource for those cards can be handy.