PDA

View Full Version : Set 3 Release Date/Window?

Rendakor
11-14-2014, 01:52 PM
Thrawn mentioned this elsewhere, but I think it needs it's own thread. We were (mostly) patient about Set 2 and it's delay, but HexEnt really needs to release sets on a regular schedule; if Set 3 gets a multi-month delay then I don't think I'll ever trust them to get sets out on time. Regular content is so important to a TCG that we really need to get some momentum going here.

So, when's Set 3 coming? Ideally March/April 2015 depending on if the target is 3 sets/year or 4.

hex_colin
11-14-2014, 01:56 PM
Thrawn mentioned this elsewhere, but I think it needs it's own thread. We were (mostly) patient about Set 2 and it's delay, but HexEnt really needs to release sets on a regular schedule; if Set 3 gets a multi-month delay then I don't think I'll ever trust them to get sets out on time. Regular content is so important to a TCG that we really need to get some momentum going here.

So, when's Set 3 coming? Ideally March/April 2015 depending on if the target is 3 sets/year or 4.

To be fair, you, Thrawn, and the other member of your Trolling Triumvirate have not been "(mostly) patient". ;)

I'm sure it's planned for the timeframe you postulate, but expecting any more confirmation than that and/or a narrower date range is probably not going to happen.

Svenn
11-14-2014, 01:56 PM
3 Sets a year means Set 3 SHOULD be in April. I'm not sure I'd count on that though...

Thrawn
11-14-2014, 02:04 PM
I was mostly joking when I asked about Set 3, but it would be nice to find out if we are going to get on a regular set release schedule now or if we should assume on Set 3 in a year.

Anyone that is still here from the start and playing has been patient for Set 2, to say it's anything but late is just flat out wrong. Always nice to be called a troll though, apparently posts that aren't completely postive breed a toxic community but personal attacks are A OK!

Gwaer
11-14-2014, 02:09 PM
It's kind of like libel, it's all good as long as it's true. =P

On topic though, I'm very hopeful that they got their set three ducks in a row so that it will be ready for release come april. If they didn't I won't be too upset, as long as they continue to streamline their release process so that each release comes closer to on time, and bug free, until we are getting sets like clockwork. I won't be mad if that doesn't fall into place by set 3.

hex_colin
11-14-2014, 02:11 PM
I was mostly joking when I asked about Set 3, but it would be nice to find out if we are going to get on a regular set release schedule now or if we should assume on Set 3 in a year.

Anyone that is still here from the start and playing has been patient for Set 2, to say it's anything but late is just flat out wrong. Always nice to be called a troll though, apparently posts that aren't completely postive breed a toxic community but personal attacks are A OK!

A harmless joke. I wouldn't get too defensive about it.

Notably though, as soon as you posted your "when is Set 3" comment in the other thread, I immediately thought "how long before one of his 2 buddies" posts something to back him up (which happens very frequently). Didn't take long in this case. :)

Xenavire
11-14-2014, 02:11 PM

Dude, chill - Colin does have a point. A lot of people have been asking about set 2 (going as far as 'bitching about it'). You have been one of the most noticeable and vocal of the people asking - but you are absolutely correct that set 2 is long overdue.

Theres just this thing, you know - where other people didn't complain as much. :p It's not some personal attack, its a statement of fact. I would estimate that you have made at least 1 post every 2 weeks since beta started, about set 2 (averaged out.) Thats a lot, really.

At least this will all be behind us soon enough.

eimerian
11-14-2014, 02:12 PM
Didn't CZE say that the first 4 sets will be 2 sets a year and the 3 sets a year rotation would start with set 5?
If that is still the case that would be set 1 and 2 for 2014 and set 3 and 4 for 2015.
So my guess: set 3 June - July 2015, set 4 November-December 2015

Thrawn
11-14-2014, 02:14 PM
I wouldn't get too defensive about it.

I normally wouldn't care, the only reason it bothers me is that if I were to post and call you a troll, even as a joke, I'd be getting a ban warning from a moderator after the post was deleted.

I'm excited Set 2 is here, I'm really looking forward to playing it and hoping it's as amazing a set as Set 1 was. But it is really late and I am curious what the road map for Set 3 holds is all.

Gwaer
11-14-2014, 02:14 PM
I don't remember them saying that, just that set 1 and 2 will be a single block, and set 3 and 4 will be a single block, followed by 3 set blocks. It's possible I just missed it, though.

hex_colin
11-14-2014, 02:16 PM
I don't remember them saying that, just that set 1 and 2 will be a single block, and set 3 and 4 will be a single block, followed by 3 set blocks. It's possible I just missed it, though.

That's my understanding too.

Scammanator
11-14-2014, 02:22 PM
Trolling Triumvirate

I really want this to be a card now. Set 3 could contain a Troop that voids itself, Gas Troll, and Stink Troll. "Invincible. Any action or ability that targets a troop must target Trolling Triumvirate."

eimerian
11-14-2014, 02:28 PM

Well, I just assumed automatically that 1 block = 1 year.
But I would love to be wrong on this and have three sets in 2015 :)

Tazelbain
11-14-2014, 02:43 PM
Every 3-4 months isn't really a reachable goal given how small HexEnt is and how much other important stuff needs to built at the same time. So Set 1 & 2 in 2014 and Set 3 & 4 in 2015 seems more realistic. I don't expect 3 sets until 2016 and don't see 4 sets ever unless they greatly expand their team.

hex_colin
11-14-2014, 02:46 PM
Every 3-4 months isn't really a reachable goal given how small HexEnt is and how much other important stuff needs to built at the same time. So Set 1 & 2 in 2014 and Set 3 & 4 in 2015 seems more realistic. I don't expect 3 sets until 2016 and don't see 4 sets ever unless they greatly expand their team.

You'd be surprised. I've mentioned it before, but they've been creating tools that automates the card scripting process (so, slower pace now to get faster in the future). Sooner rather than later all the work that will be needed for a set (from a tech perspective) is coding any new mechanics/Keywords and any one-offs, and there generally aren't too many of those. The design and art work streams are a no brainer - they've done that for a physical TCG before, and made it happen when they also had to factor in printing time, distribution, etc.

Xenavire
11-14-2014, 02:46 PM
I normally wouldn't care, the only reason it bothers me is that if I were to post and call you a troll, even as a joke, I'd be getting a ban warning from a moderator after the post was deleted.

I'm excited Set 2 is here, I'm really looking forward to playing it and hoping it's as amazing a set as Set 1 was. But it is really late and I am curious what the road map for Set 3 holds is all.

Well, based off spoilers, Gencon, and dropped hints, I would say that set 2 should be of similar quality. Time will tell for sure, but I am very excited for December 2nd... Even more excited for the following weekend, where I will finally crack packs in draft (I don't want to risk draining my reserves with a bad luck streak before the weekend. :p)

Thrawn
11-14-2014, 02:51 PM
Even more excited for the following weekend, where I will finally crack packs in draft (I don't want to risk draining my reserves with a bad luck streak before the weekend. :p)

I plan on burning all of my backed up non-expiring tickets assuming tournaments are stable. Honestly I'd probably enjoy if the set came out like the day before the VIP constructed tournaments just for having a ton of varied decks and people really getting rewarded for good deck building.

You'd be surprised. I've mentioned it before, but they've been creating tools that automates the card scripting process (so, slower pace now to get faster in the future).

I hope we can see some of this stuff some day, a video showing part of their process or something. I might be a minority but the stuff "in the sausage factory" of the software side is what I'm most interested in.

Xenavire
11-14-2014, 02:53 PM
I plan on burning all of my backed up non-expiring tickets assuming tournaments are stable. Honestly I'd probably enjoy if the set came out like the day before the VIP constructed tournaments just for having a ton of varied decks and people really getting rewarded for good deck building.

I think the week before might be a little too hectic - can you imagine the prices and speculation? I feel like it would reward only players who had luck, support, or money, rather than those specifically who could build great decks.

I am definitely excited for limited though... Build up my collection a bit, see new synergies, speculate on the power of cards and bombs... Sounds like lots of fun.

Pezzle
11-14-2014, 02:55 PM
Would love to see more about set release timetables. Not asking for a specific date on anything. Does 4 sets a year seem realistic moving forward? Any information on when we might reach that release speed? Would be a real shame to lose momentum. Cryptozoic really needs to build trust in their ability to release timely content. I hope they can do it.

Thrawn
11-14-2014, 02:56 PM
can you imagine the prices and speculation?

Yes, very much yes. That's half the reason I would enjoy that. :D

schild
11-14-2014, 03:17 PM
ITT People need to learn what the word "troll" actually means.

Also, a predictable release cycle would be the outright best thing Hex Ent could do for the game, but I'm sure they know that.

Rendakor
11-14-2014, 03:23 PM
TIL I'm a well known troll on the Hex forums.

All I'm expecting here is either "Yes, we're targeting March/April 2015 for Set 3 with 3/4 sets a year" or "No, we're targeting this other time frame and release schedule for reasons X, Y and Z".

magic_gazz
11-14-2014, 05:36 PM
I agree with the OP.

Set 2 being so delayed was annoying but tolerable, they are just starting out. For the game to thrive though they do need regular releases.

It is not about us who are here now, it is about future players seeing that the game is stable. Right now tons of people have heard of Hex but are not playing for various reasons, we want to eliminate as many of those reasons not to play as possible.

Phenteo
11-14-2014, 06:54 PM
The dev team is definitely learning as we're going and getting faster. Obviously having a set release schedule of several releases a year is optimal, and that is what we're hoping to deliver to. Unfortunately, it is way to early to give a date for set 3 release.

Voormas
11-14-2014, 07:01 PM
I'm just hyped for Set 2!

I remember long ago someone saying that the "regular" set release schedule wouldn't start until Set 3 hits, that is to say the gap between Set 2 and Set 3 could be longer than 3-4 months but after that they should be fine

I'm okay with that, but of course I would be even more okay with getting Set 3 sooner :P

Set 2! Woooo!~

YourOpponent
11-14-2014, 08:03 PM
They seriously just announced the date for set 2 less than 2 hours ago for an official date...can't we just give them a break and not be immediately harassing them over the set after the set that we as a majority haven't even played yet?

Rendakor
11-14-2014, 08:34 PM
I'm not sure how creating a thread and asking a relevant question is harassment. \_(ツ)_/

Edit: Phenteo, thanks for the response even if it's not what I was hoping for.

poizonous
11-14-2014, 09:43 PM
well let's look at this from MtG... even they don't release the next set release date until atleast a month after their newest set. so asking this early is going to get nowhere

Rendakor
11-14-2014, 09:51 PM
They've also released 3 sets a year (plus a core set every other year) for 18 years. I wasn't expecting an exact date, merely hoping that this would be the last long delayed set and that we might start to see regular releases.

Pezzle
11-14-2014, 09:52 PM
well let's look at this from MtG... even they don't release the next set release date until atleast a month after their newest set. so asking this early is going to get nowhere

Not trying to start a fight here, but if you look at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Magic:_The_Gathering_sets

You can see that MTG has been pumping out sets pretty regularly on a fairly predictable time table for nearly two decades. I am not asking for something that precise right now. I want the momentum to build, not stall.

Phenteo
11-15-2014, 02:21 AM
This thread got way out of hand.

Closing thread as an answer has been given. Further attacks from either parties will not be tolerated.