Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Non-Hex related... Question about post length.

Non-Hex related... Question about post length.

If moderators feel this is a wasted topic feel free to remove it (or lock when you feel it's answered), I won't be insulted but I am trying to get information back from the readers of this forum to better my posting type.

So the reason I am creating this thread is because, I find myself making a lot of arguments with very long posts where I try and post a bunch of reasons to complete my argument and not leave flaws.

I find that most users do not respond to most of these long posts. I am just curious, is it because the posts are too lengthy? Would you rather see posts that have no substance, and I just state my opinion and then if asked, go on to explain why?

I personally would rather build an argument from the ground up, giving all the evidence I have to back it, and then have people dispute what I say than make statements that are easy for people to "attack" because they have no substance to them.

I also notice that some people will argue a certain point of a whole argument, but never make a conclusion on the entire idea that I am talking about. I try not to take it personally, but when I write long responses it is because I feel they are necessary to validate my point, not because I want to write a lot. If I wanted to write, I can continue writing my book I started like 2 years ago and never got around to finishing.

I want to help to community grow and so if this is an issue and you have an opinion on it, I would love to hear it. Again, this is not to bash, single out, or otherwise insult anyone. This is purely so I know how better to give back to the community.

Any ideas?

Edit: If it is at all anything else, like general tone, or something feel free to say so. If you want you can single out anything I've written that you have seen to discuss something. I do not mind at all.
    Last edited by Blare731; 07-24-2013 at 09:16 PM.
    KickSTARTER
    Grand King

Hex IGN: Ares

While long posts are thorough, people will generally find one question or part they want to comment on. When posts are lengthy and have a multitude of various ideas, it is more likely that ppl will only address particular parts as opposed to the post as a whole.

Just my 2cents.

Eternal Guardian
    I think expecting a video game forum to be a fully structured debate is your first mistake. While civilty can be maintained and a healthy flow of ideas achieved, no one likes reading walls of text regardless how well thought out they may be.

One of the first rules of writing is to know your audience. We've become a society of talking points and 140 characters or less bits of information. Succinctness, trumps thoroughness these days, especially in a medium such as this.
    Last edited by houjix; 07-24-2013 at 09:34 PM.
    Go Fish

Quote Originally Posted by houjix View Post
    I think expecting a video game forum to be a fully structured debate is your first mistake. While civilty can be maintained and a healthy flow of ideas achieved, no one likes reading walls of text regardless how well thought out they may be.

One of the first rules of writing is to know your audience. We've become a society of talking points and 140 characters or less bits of information. Succinctness, trumps thoroughness these days, especially in a medium such as this.
    This honestly was my fear when I created this thread.

Edit:
    And yes I figured that not everybody would read the long ones. I just figured that the people that are constantly posting, would have it in them to do so.
    Last edited by Blare731; 07-24-2013 at 09:42 PM.
    KickSTARTER
    Grand King

Eternal Guardian
    Quote Originally Posted by Blare731 View Post
    This honestly was my fear when I created this forum.
    You just need to distill your points a bit. I used to write for a newspaper and economy of words is everything. Ask yourself if what you are trying to present needs all those points of evidence to get what you are trying to say across in a way that can't be misconstrued or at the very least causes someone to offer a counter that can lead to the next logical point of your idea.

Basically if you can convince someone with a couple of main points why give all 12? If the first few aren't enough, that's when you begin to expand and craft your side of things based on how people are responding.
    Last edited by houjix; 07-24-2013 at 10:15 PM.
    Go Fish

Master Theorycrafter
    Quote Originally Posted by houjix View Post
    You just need to distill your points a bit. I used to write for a newspaper and economy of words is everything. Ask yourself if what you are trying to present needs all those points of evidence to get what you are trying to say across in a way that can't be misconstrued or at the very least causes someone to offer a counter that can lead to the next logical point of your idea.

Basically if you can convince someone with a couple of main points why give all 12? If the first few aren't enough, that's when you begin to expand and craft your side of things based on how people are responding.
    I think this says it well. Make sure you aren't reiterating or creating multiple points that could be summed up into one strong one. I think another tool you can use for your posts is emphasis . Forums have tools like lists, colors, and fonts for these kind of reasons. Our eyes are drawn to contrast, and driving your keypoints with emphasis breaks up the monotony of a wall of text.
    HEX Community Reading List!
    Need a cheap Fantasy Novel for your Kindle/Ipad from an amazing Author?? I'm shamelessly promoting my friend's new series The Elder Empire! It's a great series with two sides, two stories and tons of fun! The series is written as parrallel stories, so choose Shadow, Sea, or both and enjoy! www.WillWight.com

Master Theorycrafter
    Forums are also misleading, as long threads are generally extended beyond public usefulness by a handful of people. It's fine if they go on entertaining each other, but it isn't a fertile place for ideas because people just want to argue things for the fun of it.

However, if you want to learn something, you can pay particular attention to people who have been around for a while but have few posts. These are individuals who lurk the forums, but only deign to say something when an issue is of particular import to them. I think there you will find a more accurate representation of the community.

They say their piece and move on, then the heavy-posters arrive and steamroll the thread into oblivion.

Thanks for your posts guys. You all made really good points, and I will try to utilize them as best I can in the future.
    KickSTARTER
    Grand King

Quote Originally Posted by HyenaNipples View Post
    Forums are also misleading, as long threads are generally extended beyond public usefulness by a handful of people. It's fine if they go on entertaining each other, but it isn't a fertile place for ideas because people just want to argue things for the fun of it.

However, if you want to learn something, you can pay particular attention to people who have been around for a while but have few posts. These are individuals who lurk the forums, but only deign to say something when an issue is of particular import to them. I think there you will find a more accurate representation of the community.

They say their piece and move on, then the heavy-posters arrive and steamroll the thread into oblivion.
    This is me.

It depends on how good of a writer you are. Your writing, based entirely on reading your initial post, is pretty bland and academic. Academic writing is academic for a reason: It's lifeless, bereft of emotion, and completely objective. Unless it's a topic I'm REALLY interested in (even if just for a grade) I'm not going to read much of it.

As mentioned above, things like colors/fonts for emphasis, different sections with headers, pictures, etc. all make it far less boring to read.
    I hate your big image banner signature, and blocked it with adblock.