Page 1 of 64 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Older sets

Master Theorycrafter

Older sets

Whats the deal for when older sets "rotate out" will those cards still be available for purchase?

I would assume so, since there is a rotated format, and a everything format.

Quote Originally Posted by WWKnight View Post
    Whats the deal for when older sets "rotate out" will those cards still be available for purchase?
    We don't know if we're going to make sets go 'out of print' yet or not; we plan to collect feedback from the players in that respect. Our goal is always to create the best experience for the players possible, and our decisions are always driven in that direction.

Master Theorycrafter
    My personal feeling is there is no printing costs involved, and you lose nothing by making them available, and there is othing worse to come into a game late to the party and realised you missed out on all these fancy things.

Despite what I said about being greedy and wanting things no-one else has in another thread, I really feel that the option should always be available for a new player to gain the cards they want, even if said cards cant be used in competitive play. (Easily have a warning that says as much when you try and purchase it, so as not to create any ill feelings).

There may be many who want to "grandfather" old cards and keep them expensive and valuable, but that process is a byproduct of a physical product, and IMO, has no place in a digital age.

Having said that, I wont fight too hard, because I like having things other people dont! MINE MINE MINE!!! :P

I'd prefer sets eventually go "out of print". It makes collecting the cards seem more special, that is reduced if all cards are always available. You could do like Magic does and release a new Core set every couple years, reprinting some useful cards from old sets. New players can always get old cards off the AH if they really want them. Plus after a couple years wouldn't a new player be overwhelmed by seeing 12 sets up for sale?

You say overwhelmed, I say overjoyed at the options...

Master Theorycrafter
    (Sorry fro bringing this up again, but its relevant!)

One of the selling points for the other game I play, Infinity Wars, is that they pledged that no card would ever be unobtainable to a new player. This excites me, because I feel it is healthy to the growth of the game to make it accessible to all new comers. As the person with the largest in-game collection, it hurts me as I can never profit from the first edition cards.

When faced with the choice of personal gain and growth of something I love, I choose the latter.

I also advocate that sets/cards never go out of print. Keep it fair, and let players tinker with legacy items.

i like the idea of having cards thats hard to get. I love collecting, and making them always available gets rid of that feeling.
    I support having them go out of print

Hey no-one said they have to be easy to get, they can still be rare and in print. No-one usually cares about commons (playsets everywhere) but imagine trying to get playsets of really rare cards only available through some near-impossible task...