Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any worries regarding interference from WOTC?

Any worries regarding interference from WOTC?

Hi There,

Recently we saw Wizards of the Coast significantly delay the launch of Ubisoft's Might & Magic: Duel of Champions in North America. Is there any fear that Hex will be another WOTC target? I hope not, because this game looks amazing and I don't want any issues or delays

How exactly can they interfere? They don't own any part of this IP.

If you just mean them generally being jerks to anyone else, then I will shut up right now. (I hate that they cycled out DnD 3.5 without making a game better than NWN2, which did not do it justice. I am displeased with them.)

They own a bunch of TCG patents

Master Theorycrafter
    Im SURE Cryptozoiacs legal team would have been all over that before they proceeded to the kickstarter stage.
    "The way their wizard beards curl betwixt their cleavage and around their breasts... pretty hot!"

WOTC has filed lawsuits against multiple companies that are creating or have created games that are similar to their products. They filed suit against Ubisoft and Ubisoft was unable to launch their new digital trading card game in North America for many months.

Quote Originally Posted by WWKnight View Post
    Im SURE Cryptozoiacs legal team would have been all over that before they proceeded to the kickstarter stage.
    That is my hope as well WWKnight.

Owning TCG patents is pretty vague, and I doubt they could substantiate it. The concept itself is far beyond anything they would have a patent for, so I think it is somewhat of a non-issue.

Devoted Emissary
    Patents are kinda vague to begin with. I know that there is a patent for not having to click inside of a screen before using the program for computer programs, so it's really up to the legal team. We can all plainly see that this game is VERY close to MtG in mechanics, so we have to hope their lawyers were careful as can be.

Crytpo has already produced several large card games, something tells me they have been through this process before.

Devoted Emissary
    Yea, more so then the might and magic first timers. It's an issue, but i trust they thought of it already.