Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: breaking Replicator's Gambit

Master Theorycrafter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinuvas View Post
    The cantrip is part of what intrigues me about Gambit. While I was away from my PC today I was thinking of Gambit as an 'unsummon', but it essentially 'kills' your troop as far as card advantage goes (He's not even in your graveyard to play with). Get home, see the 'draw card' on him, and start thinking heavier...I see possibilities there. Nothing solid yet, but as you say with an assumed strength in Sapphire of bounce and draw, maybe tutor...
    I am pretty sure the first tutors we are likely to see will be Blood or artifact tutors of some type. They seem to be the ones that 'fit' best with the feel of the gems. If it is an artifact tutor, then an artifact troop with Gambit will be a no brainer.

***EDIT***

Artifact tutor being either an artifact, or a Sapphire action or troop being my best guesses.
    Pro Player

Master Theorycrafter
    Quote Originally Posted by ramseytheory View Post
    I think a better way to go along those lines would be otherwise average creatures which have an ability which triggers when you put them in play.
    Obviously, a troop that bounces 'target troop' as it comes into play would be incredible. I just love the idea of an 'aura' that sticks like glue to your creature can just be fun as anything, not to mention turning some standard Magic ideas of card advantage a bit sideways (I kill your buffed troop with 2 new abilities on it with my one card...I just got a 3 for 1! oh wait, you brought the troop back from the graveyard? With the 2 abilities intact? oh dang.)

Quote Originally Posted by Tinuvas View Post
    OK, I'm assuming a number of things here, but I'm doing so based on evidence, so:

Let's say you take a nice Master Beast Rider (2/2 socketable with buffing power) and lay the ol' Replicator's Gambit on him. He disappears into your deck with a permanent, "When this troop enters play, if you played it from your hand, create six copies of it and put them into play". We know that.

So, wonder of wonders, he shows back up and you lay the man down. Outside of the Beast Rider's awesome buffing ability, he has that 6 copy mechanic which produces a pile of troops, each with their own gem and 'create 6 more of me when you play me from your hand'. At this point, based on the 'Void Leech Phantasm' card, I can assume that there are a number of 'return to hand' effects on cards in the game (we'll have to see more reveals to confirm this, but I'll bet there are). Using any of these effects (especially if it's repeatable) pulls a rider into your hand (where he retains that '6 copy' mechanic), and when he drops you have 6 MORE bonus baddies who all can then wash, rinse, repeat. If this is all so, pretty quick someone had better drop an Extinction or you'll be swimming in turtles!

Is that how you all read that?
    I disagree with this assessment. Based upon my experience with TCG's in general, the "copy" ability will only be on the one card you played, not the 6 copies that come into play with him. Granted, you could theoretically play the main one, get the copies, bounce the main one back to your hand, and repeat this process. Also, I am not sure how the copies created will be handled specifically with this game, but in every other TCG I have played, when a copy of something is created, it isn't actually a real card, and any sort of effect that removes a copy from the board effectively removes it from the game.

So yes, in theory you could create a veritable army of clones using Replicators Gambit and various bounce effects, but the luck required to be able to pull that off would make it a very hit-or-miss style of strategy. Not only are you relying on the ability to get one of the cards you want to clone onto the field, then get the gambit to clone it, then get it back out of your deck and onto the field, and then getting enough bounce effects keep cycling it, but you are also hoping that your opponents deck doesn't screw that up in any of a thousand different ways anywhere along the process.

Master Theorycrafter
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelaasa View Post
    I disagree with this assessment. Based upon my experience with TCG's in general, the "copy" ability will only be on the one card you played, not the 6 copies that come into play with him. Granted, you could theoretically play the main one, get the copies, bounce the main one back to your hand, and repeat this process. Also, I am not sure how the copies created will be handled specifically with this game, but in every other TCG I have played, when a copy of something is created, it isn't actually a real card, and any sort of effect that removes a copy from the board effectively removes it from the game.

So yes, in theory you could create a veritable army of clones using Replicators Gambit and various bounce effects, but the luck required to be able to pull that off would make it a very hit-or-miss style of strategy. Not only are you relying on the ability to get one of the cards you want to clone onto the field, then get the gambit to clone it, then get it back out of your deck and onto the field, and then getting enough bounce effects keep cycling it, but you are also hoping that your opponents deck doesn't screw that up in any of a thousand different ways anywhere along the process.
    It has already been stated that tokens do not exist in hex. They are cards, that can be reshuffled, bounced, recalled from the grayveyard, etc. They can be added by other cards and created, but become normal cards for all intents and purposes. Also, all permantent stat or ability changes do not change by being bounced, destroyed etc. A stat or ability on a card is from then on, that game, simply a part of that card. So if a card with an ability that says 'cast from hand: copy 6 times' then all of those copies have that ability unless the original card says they don't. And they can be bounced, replayed, reshuffled, etc.
    Pro Player

Eternal Guardian
    . Also, I am not sure how the copies created will be handled specifically with this game, but in every other TCG I have played, when a copy of something is created, it isn't actually a real card, and any sort of effect that removes a copy from the board effectively removes it from the game.
    In Hex, tokens become real cards for the duration of the game. If you noticed, the Battle Hoppers tokens created by the Shin'hare card have a cost and everything. They go to the graveyard when destroyed or back to hand when bounced and can be interacted with and replayed as if it was a real card.
    Go Fish

Also, I am not sure how the copies created will be handled specifically with this game, but in every other TCG I have played, when a copy of something is created, it isn't actually a real card, and any sort of effect that removes a copy from the board effectively removes it from the game.
    Not in HEX. Here any "tokens" created are real cards and if bounced go to your hand, if killed to the graveyard. Ofcourse disappear after the game, though.
    Your daily dose of HEX awesomeness!

Replicator's Gambit probably disappears after you play the card the second time. I know it doesn't say it, but I would expect the card to loose the replicate ability once it is played and creates its six copies. You're assuming this is a permanent buff, when most likely it is a one shot buff.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaolinRaven View Post
    Replicator's Gambit probably disappears after you play the card the second time. I know it doesn't say it, but I would expect the card to loose the replicate ability once it is played and creates its six copies. You're assuming this is a permanent buff, when most likely it is a one shot buff.

Notice the word Permanent. It stays on the card no matter what happens to it.
    Your daily dose of HEX awesomeness!

If you could pull it off, especially with Mirrorblade equipment, it would be absolutely devastating.
    "A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."

-Willy Wonka

Master Theorycrafter
    Get Zombie Plagues rolling and start gambiting your opponent's troops

Just for fun, obv
    Pro Player