Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: breaking Replicator's Gambit

Master Theorycrafter

breaking Replicator's Gambit

OK, I'm assuming a number of things here, but I'm doing so based on evidence, so:

Let's say you take a nice Master Beast Rider (2/2 socketable with buffing power) and lay the ol' Replicator's Gambit on him. He disappears into your deck with a permanent, "When this troop enters play, if you played it from your hand, create six copies of it and put them into play". We know that.

So, wonder of wonders, he shows back up and you lay the man down. Outside of the Beast Rider's awesome buffing ability, he has that 6 copy mechanic which produces a pile of troops, each with their own gem and 'create 6 more of me when you play me from your hand'. At this point, based on the 'Void Leech Phantasm' card, I can assume that there are a number of 'return to hand' effects on cards in the game (we'll have to see more reveals to confirm this, but I'll bet there are). Using any of these effects (especially if it's repeatable) pulls a rider into your hand (where he retains that '6 copy' mechanic), and when he drops you have 6 MORE bonus baddies who all can then wash, rinse, repeat. If this is all so, pretty quick someone had better drop an Extinction or you'll be swimming in turtles!

Is that how you all read that?

If you somehow manage to pull that off id probably just let you win for the sheer luck/amount of time/ and spells it costs to make that happen.

Turtle power dude.
    "A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."

-Willy Wonka

It would seem that pack raptors are the more natural combination with replicator's gambit.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinuvas View Post
    Is that how you all read that?
    No. What you just described is cute, but probably won't ever work in competitive play. "Killing" your own guy and expecting to magically draw him? No, thank you. A tutor of some kind could probably make the Replicator's Gambit a real card, though.
    Your daily dose of HEX awesomeness!

Master Theorycrafter
    I think with Dwarven decks and the digging artifacts look like they will offer you, will we see the best use of Replicator's Gambit. plus, I think the Sapphire cards may have the lion's share of return abilities, but if you can gambit several troops or constructs, and dig for cards to pull off the massive army, that it will be a bit easier to pull off. Going Cantrip heavy, should there be a variety of them, will likely help as well. Without a tutor does it work consistently? Maybe not, but when you have serious draw power and bounce ability, an army is an army.
    Pro Player

What is more reasonable would be to use replicators gambit on something like Blaze elemental (the 3 charge power, 3/1 speed) This creature dies at end of turn anyway so not killing one of your own creatures. should u draw it again u get 7 blaze elemenatls to attack with : )

Master Theorycrafter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hieronymous View Post
    It would seem that pack raptors are the more natural combination with replicator's gambit.
    That's true and I agree. I just used the Beast Rider as an example. My point was that if you could get your replicated dude (or any of his clones) back into your hand in a repeatable way, the '6 copy' mechanic would stick around and trigger upon re-casting. At least that's how I see it. If I did that, pack raptors WOULD be the card of choice out of our currently revealed collection I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Truhls View Post
    If you somehow manage to pull that off id probably just let you win for the sheer luck/amount of time/ and spells it costs to make that happen.
    True! Less concerned about the combinations (which, as you imply, would be almost impossible to pull off) and more about the repeatability of the mechanic though.

Quote Originally Posted by wallofomens View Post
    No. What you just described is cute, but probably won't ever work in competitive play. "Killing" your own guy and expecting to magically draw him? No, thank you. A tutor of some kind could probably make the Replicator's Gambit a real card, though.
    Cute? Absolutely! Playable? ROFL. I'm waiting for a good tutor, but there are other elements I'm looking at, unfinished in my mind as of yet, but...

What is more reasonable would be to use replicators gambit on something like Blaze elemental (the 3 charge power, 3/1 speed) This creature dies at end of turn anyway so not killing one of your own creatures. should u draw it again u get 7 blaze elemenatls to attack with : )
    ...which then die at the end of your turn. I think a better way to go along those lines would be otherwise average creatures which have an ability which triggers when you put them in play. Then you have complete domination of the board after the gambit triggers, and you're still not losing the full value of the creature you kill, but as a bonus you get seven copies of whatever the ability was.

Master Theorycrafter
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebynfel View Post
    I think with Dwarven decks and the digging artifacts look like they will offer you, will we see the best use of Replicator's Gambit. plus, I think the Sapphire cards may have the lion's share of return abilities, but if you can gambit several troops or constructs, and dig for cards to pull off the massive army, that it will be a bit easier to pull off. Going Cantrip heavy, should there be a variety of them, will likely help as well. Without a tutor does it work consistently? Maybe not, but when you have serious draw power and bounce ability, an army is an army.
    The cantrip is part of what intrigues me about Gambit. While I was away from my PC today I was thinking of Gambit as an 'unsummon', but it essentially 'kills' your troop as far as card advantage goes (He's not even in your graveyard to play with). Get home, see the 'draw card' on him, and start thinking heavier...I see possibilities there. Nothing solid yet, but as you say with an assumed strength in Sapphire of bounce and draw, maybe tutor...