Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Based on feedback from Scrolls, a concern for Hex's release

Based on feedback from Scrolls, a concern for Hex's release

I've been looking at Scrolls a bit since it entered open beta this week. I'm a bit wary of it right now, though I could still end up giving it a shot. One of the complaints that I've heard from several players so far (over in the Scrolls thread that's somewhere on this forum, on the Scrolls sub-reddit I look at) is that they find themselves regretting the pre-constructed decks that they selected. They thought that Energy or Order would be the playstyle for them (so far, I don't think I've seen anyone voicing regrets on choosing the deck for the remaining faction, Growth), and they end up not enjoying the decks they've ended up with. They can grind out a rather steep amount of in-game gold to get another deck, or cough up some money for the RM shard currency, or just grin and bear it.

It seems to me that this problem could very well crop up for Hex once it's entered its released state (or if there is an open beta later in the process). Non-backers are going to be joining the game, and they'll be be given one of the four starter decks. But what happens to these players if they discover that Orcs just aren't their thing? They won't even be able to buy more decks with in-game currency like in Scrolls, they'd have to buy other decks with platinum.

Will there be any sort of grace period, allowing new players to say, "You know what, I was wrong, I'm not enjoying this bunny deck, could I exchange it for that nifty dwarf deck?" I suppose the free-to-play model will mitigate some of this. If a Scrolls player regrets their chosen deck, they're presumably out twenty bucks. If a Hex player wants to try a different starter deck, they'll likely be able to just create a new account and switch to a new deck. Of course, with those free starters being non-tradeable, they wouldn't be able to get those cards onto the same account.
    Last edited by alpha5099; 06-04-2013 at 09:42 PM.

Free accounts, so they could just make a new account...

Also, it seems like the problem with Scrolls starter isn't that they don't like starter X because of the theme, they don't like it because it (the starter) ...sucks.
    Last edited by Tyrfang; 06-04-2013 at 09:37 PM.

Honestly I think you answered your own concern. If someone is on the fence, let them make an account, try one, and if it doesn't fit them, make a new account. You can't pool the cards so there is no risk of exploit. I'm sure everyone is better off if they end up getting into the game.

Sensei of the Wounded Petal
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrfang View Post
    Free accounts, so they could just make a new account...

Also, it seems like the problem with Scrolls starter isn't that they don't like starter X because of the theme, they don't like it because it (the starter) ...sucks.
    Suddenly happier that I didn't shell out $20 for the beta.
    Hex TCG Kickstarter Backer - Dungeon Crawler and Collector
    http://raptr.com/badge/larryhl/fs_overall.png

I paid the $20 for the beta. The game just isn't that much fun. I will test it out after each patch but to me Scrolls is just not a game I will be putting much time into.

What about having an additional tutorial for each starter deck that explains the play-style as you do it. Let the player do the tutorials as they please and then choose once they are happy. After that, no swapsies.

Last I heard, the free account starter is different from the purchasable starter decks.

On the other hand, this may have an interesting solution via the Guild system: people could check-in one of each of the buyable starters, so that new players could test them out against guild members before spending money on one.

The avalanche has already started, it is too late for the pebbles to vote.

Infernal Professor
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDiv View Post
    What about having an additional tutorial for each starter deck that explains the play-style as you do it. Let the player do the tutorials as they please and then choose once they are happy. After that, no swapsies.
    That's a pretty good idea, a sort of Try before you decide thing that could easily pull double duty as a tutorial section.

I like the tutorial game based on the deck you chose. There's a free flash TCG out there that did this, where each deck could be tutorial played vs an AI controlled deck before you settled on the deck you actually wanted to use.

Edit: that game is called Ederon.
    Last edited by larryhl; 06-04-2013 at 09:54 PM.
    Hex TCG Kickstarter Backer - Dungeon Crawler and Collector
    http://raptr.com/badge/larryhl/fs_overall.png

I liked the concept of the planeswalker format in MTGO to give players a big pool of cards to play with before going to the more challenging rooms. Hex could do better to actually make it a newbie format where players can't pay for additional cards.