Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: Rare Drafting - MTG:O example

  1. #1

    Rare Drafting - MTG:O example

    There were some questions that came my way regarding how do you actually rare draft?

    Well, I am still planning to stream rare drafts in the future, but I rather that be in Hex in 3 months, then spending money in MTG:O now.

    The below example is a pure example of how to rare draft. They take every single card that is either "Rare" or "Mythic".

    In MTG - the rarity of a card is indicated on the middle right of the card by the color of the symbol.
    For example:


    You can see the M10 on this card is a orange shade - meaning it is a Mythic (equivalent to legendary)

    You can see the M12 on this card is Gold - meaning it is Rare

    In Hex - from what I can gather the color at the very bottom of the card is the rarity. From what I have observed, White is common, Green is uncommon, blue is rare, and red is legendary. There are also other colors that may symbolize crafted cards and unique PvE cards.
    Example:

    The blue below the card indicates it is a Rare

    The red below the card indicates it is a Legendary

    Here is the pure Rare draft video. You will see that they get 3 "Legendary" cards, and 7 "Rare" cards in the draft where usually a player would only get 3 total Rare and/or Legendary for the packs they open. The cards may not be great, and they might not make a good draft deck, but they were able to get 10 packs worth of Legendary and/or Rare cards for the price of 3 packs (entry fee).
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RV0xOVMigbI


    Let me know if you have any questions?
    The thread I am linking this to is the Spending Money in Hex - Strategy thread:
    http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=24477
    Last edited by nicosharp; 06-05-2013 at 10:05 AM.

  2. #2
    Master Theorycrafter
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    861
    Good job putting something like this up Nico.

    One thing I'll mention to prospective drafters - consider that any booster prizes you don't win is also a lost rare. So sometimes, passing up one or two rares in order to get a good or great card for your deck will end up paying for itself due to the rares you get from your prize packs.

  3. #3
    Gigantisaur
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Sterling, VA
    Posts
    1,187
    The big problem with rare drafting is it's not efficient. The three packs unopened plus the entry fee are often worth more than the drafted rares, and that's not taking into account any winnings. It also assumes that all rares will fall through to you.
    ---
    B.M.R.
    The Last of the Dragon Lords (+Pro)

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by jai151 View Post
    The big problem with rare drafting is it's not efficient. The three packs unopened plus the entry fee are often worth more than the drafted rares, and that's not taking into account any winnings. It also assumes that all rares will fall through to you.
    I don't recommend rare drafting for people that want to "make money".
    I recommend rare drafting for people that want to get more rare and legendary cards for their money.

    Rather than just opening their pack and getting their random and potentially bad rare, they increase their chance at something good, or at least can grab more cards they don't have.

  5. #5
    Master Theorycrafter
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    861
    Well really with a rare draft, all you're doing is drafting normally, but if you see a rare, you take it without thought (where as normal drafting would still have you comparing that card to all the others). But yeah, for junk rares it's not going to give you much extra trading power - but to each their own. I'd probably snag up a highly valued rare if it fell through though, even if it was unplayable in my deck.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by nicosharp View Post
    I don't recommend rare drafting for people that want to "make money".
    I recommend rare drafting for people that want to get more rare and legendary cards for their money.

    Rather than just opening their pack and getting their random and potentially bad rare, they increase their chance at something good, or at least can grab more cards they don't have.
    One thing you have to consider with HEX though, is that there will be a lot of people going into a draft because it is a free perk. To these individuals, there is no cost to rare drafting aside from the time spent drafting and the opportunity cost of reducing ones chances to win the prizes.

    The flip side, of course, is that I imagine that there will be a larger percentage of people rare drafting because of these perks, which will reduce the overall effectiveness of rare drafting.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by facade View Post
    One thing you have to consider with HEX though, is that there will be a lot of people going into a draft because it is a free perk. To these individuals, there is no cost to rare drafting aside from the time spent drafting and the opportunity cost of reducing ones chances to win the prizes.

    The flip side, of course, is that I imagine that there will be a larger percentage of people rare drafting because of these perks, which will reduce the overall effectiveness of rare drafting.
    Very true. Nonetheless, if and when this game takes off retail, this information will become more valuable. There is little incentive to rare draft in set 1 during beta, as almost every backer has a ridiculous amount of cards.

  8. #8
    I honestly can't tell if this is a troll thread or not. If for serious, I think it's hilarious that anyone would need a "guide" on how to select a rare/legendary from the pack. If it's a troll, well done.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by jtatta View Post
    I honestly can't tell if this is a troll thread or not. If for serious, I think it's hilarious that anyone would need a "guide" on how to select a rare/legendary from the pack. If it's a troll, well done.
    You would be surprised how often people post asking what rare drafting is...

  10. #10
    Master Theorycrafter
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    861
    Just to make it clear guys - you don't even need to go into a draft with the intention to rare draft. And you don't need to go "full tilt rare draft", where you take every single rare without even thinking about it.

    Simply put, any player can make a choice to rare draft a rare when they see it. It's that simple. Besides that, you draft perfectly normally. If no rares come after your first picks of each pack, you won't even get the chance to rare draft. So it's not that inefficient.

    Pretty much, if you see a value rare, consider taking it over your normal pick. Otherwise, draft as normal.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •