Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Staying one step ahead: Provide Translation.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Funsocks View Post
    Sadly, with all 6 foreign languages I've learned, no one around me speaks them and I now know how to count and maybe say hello.
    Yeah, I know that...Apart from english, no foreign language I ever learned really stuck ^^

That being said, I could help with english - german translation, if anybody wants to play sauerkraut HEX

Quote Originally Posted by Patrigan View Post
    "This troop deals 4 damage to target troop."

Yet me "translate" it for you to Dutch.

"Deze troep doet 4 stronten op die troep."
    So let me translate it for you in french :

"Cette troupe inflige 4 dommages à la troupe ciblée"

but the word "troupe" is not really used, maybe the word "unité" will be better...

CZE if you need help to translate, tell us...!

Well, I guess I'm gonna take a look at the cards from Russian point of view later on.

As a FR-EN/EN-FR professional translator, allow me to add +1 to saying that crowdsourcing is a terrible, terrible idea for translation. I'd happily translate this game in a professional capacity. Hell, I'd probably accept to be paid in boosters or platinum! But trusting on fans to do it for free out of love for the game is just asking for trouble.

Devoted Emissary
    You can usually do a decent translation with crowd-sourcing if you take two steps before:

- appoint a "translator leader" (maybe paid with in-game currency/booster) to finalize and approve the translations
    - create a glossary before giving the actual content to translate, to have an harmonized translation

Also, being the game digital, what you write on the card does not change its actual use within the system, so gamers will easily spot wrongly translated cards
    http://i58.tinypic.com/2ry5zfc.png
    Franz von G of Al Andalus - Pro Player | Collector | Knight
    Italian Hex Community

Quote Originally Posted by Swordmage View Post
    As a FR-EN/EN-FR professional translator, allow me to add +1 to saying that crowdsourcing is a terrible, terrible idea for translation. I'd happily translate this game in a professional capacity. Hell, I'd probably accept to be paid in boosters or platinum! But trusting on fans to do it for free out of love for the game is just asking for trouble.

As a professional ENG - PL/ PL - ENG translator with over 10 years of experience in the field, I would like to agree with my French/English friend :-) Silly idea to crowdsource. However if you want a solid and thought through translation still done by people who ACTUALLY play the game and know about it, instead of putting off phrases and words through translators who just 'do their job and are not up to speed in the topic of the text' (believe me I have seen many such butchered translations where the person doing it did not have the required knowledge in the subject and did not for example chose the appropriate phrasing even with help of professional dictionaries, etc.) a good idea would be to 'hire' translators from within the fan base, on a usual hiring basis, even if it would mean CVs, proof reads of sample translation texts etc. I would be the first to apply, and would be happy to acquire payment in boosters or anything else Hex related ;P This way you would collect people who would gladly work on translating the game THEY would later play and they would translate it in a way they would be happy and excited about seeing later.

You, professionnal translators are aware of deckbuilding cos YOU ARE players, so i can trust you better than an other guy who'll be a translator without any knowledge of TCG games...

Happy to see you among us

Gigantisaur
    Could definitely help them keep a hold of foreign markets where this sort of game idea will surely be cloned.

Sensei of the Wounded Petal
    Quote Originally Posted by Zomnivore View Post
    Could definitely help them keep a hold of foreign markets where this sort of game idea will surely be cloned.
    Heh...every time I see a badly translated Chinese pay to win MMO, my first reaction is, if you pay me I'll edit all the text for you.
    Hex TCG Kickstarter Backer - Dungeon Crawler and Collector
    http://raptr.com/badge/larryhl/fs_overall.png

Quote Originally Posted by Zomnivore View Post
    It'll still be cloned, because companies and people will still try to make a profit by making it cheaper or free.

Localization isn't as simple as allowing people to crowdsource translate it, you would need to allow people the ability to "edit" the game on some level or have a platform where they can change the cards. Then you need people to go through and vet each card, making sure someone didn't slip something in. It would one person with a botnet to insert a card and "crowd" vet it to lead to embarrassment for Cryptozoic.

I wish Localization/translation was easier, but unfortunately due to there being so many languages it's easier to add it afterwards than it is to start with it.