Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29

Thread: Staying one step ahead: Provide Translation.

  1. #1

    Thumbs up Staying one step ahead: Provide Translation.

    What just might be a challenge now, could be an edge in the future.

    Hex has already a lot of things going for it. Taking full advantage of online and MMO-like features that a physical game could never pull off properly. There is one more Key component that would be a HUGE help, and it is 100% doable.

    Give us translation to the game. Actually, if you allow Backers or Beta testers to sign up to BE translators we would probably do the hard work FOR YOU. For free. Feel like paying your backers back? Give us some boosters if you must and everything will be awesomely fine.

    Never underestimate the huge approach that having access to a game like this in our native tongues can do to broaden player base, allow for ease of access of new players, allow to make the entry bar lower without watering down the experience and breaking the limitation that MOST TCG's have. Specially the ones in Physical form.

    Besides, the nature of an Online PC game like this allows you to do something remarkable. We are all working out of the same Database of cards. Everything is the same for everyone, so perhaps you don't have to dub anything, hell, you don't even have to translate the game 100%... but if you just translate the cards (at first) that's already a HUGE selling point that goes beyong what ANY other TCG offers on the market today (and ever...)

    Here if the fun part though... the nature of an PC game, and an Online MMO, allows me to see the game in one language, while i play with another player who sees the exact same things as i do, but in HIS native language. Translations can be local. And don't effect the gameplay experience one bit. Make it smarter if you must, translate the text in the cards and when howering the mouse over the text, a small bubble can come out with the english version of that text, allowing for the flow of communication between players to still be accessible and not get literally lost in translation. Preventing the formation of "player islands". Bringing people together instead of setting apart.

    And you don't have to create duplicates of each card just to have them in another language. You can simply make the card file call to a corresponded text file in the choose language of the game client being used. That way, translation is simple, clean, fast, and has zero impact in game size or server loads at all.

    I believe this is something to put down for the near feature, because it would be amazing to have that option. Be able to present a new game to my friends who don't speak english, but just as i, wish to have an alternative.

    This is a selling point. A major one not being used. Please don't understimate it's value.

  2. #2
    Sensei of the Wounded Petal
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    267
    I can only speak English so I can't help with translating. But I support this 100%!

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Bells View Post
    What just might be a challenge now, could be an edge in the future.

    Hex has already a lot of things going for it. Taking full advantage of online and MMO-like features that a physical game could never pull off properly. There is one more Key component that would be a HUGE help, and it is 100% doable.

    Give us translation to the game. Actually, if you allow Backers or Beta testers to sign up to BE translators we would probably do the hard work FOR YOU. For free. Feel like paying your backers back? Give us some boosters if you must and everything will be awesomely fine.

    Never underestimate the huge approach that having access to a game like this in our native tongues can do to broaden player base, allow for ease of access of new players, allow to make the entry bar lower without watering down the experience and breaking the limitation that MOST TCG's have. Specially the ones in Physical form.

    Besides, the nature of an Online PC game like this allows you to do something remarkable. We are all working out of the same Database of cards. Everything is the same for everyone, so perhaps you don't have to dub anything, hell, you don't even have to translate the game 100%... but if you just translate the cards (at first) that's already a HUGE selling point that goes beyong what ANY other TCG offers on the market today (and ever...)

    Here if the fun part though... the nature of an PC game, and an Online MMO, allows me to see the game in one language, while i play with another player who sees the exact same things as i do, but in HIS native language. Translations can be local. And don't effect the gameplay experience one bit. Make it smarter if you must, translate the text in the cards and when howering the mouse over the text, a small bubble can come out with the english version of that text, allowing for the flow of communication between players to still be accessible and not get literally lost in translation. Preventing the formation of "player islands". Bringing people together instead of setting apart.

    And you don't have to create duplicates of each card just to have them in another language. You can simply make the card file call to a corresponded text file in the choose language of the game client being used. That way, translation is simple, clean, fast, and has zero impact in game size or server loads at all.

    I believe this is something to put down for the near feature, because it would be amazing to have that option. Be able to present a new game to my friends who don't speak english, but just as i, wish to have an alternative.

    This is a selling point. A major one not being used. Please don't understimate it's value.
    He announced in a geek twitch stream today that it is in the works but couldn't be promised at launch... I like crowdsourcing

  4. #4
    Yeah, Cory said they were talking to overseas partners. He also called it "morally" right to support other languages, so I'm gonna guess it will make it in at some point regardless.

    I don't really get why companies aren't willing to crowdsource translations. It's a lot of work, but not for people who both speak the language and are intimately familiar with the game. It can't be that hard to set up an effective way of doing it.

  5. #5
    The danger with crowdsourcing is this: Let's take this english cardlike sentence:
    "This troop deals 4 damage to target troop."

    Yet me "translate" it for you to Dutch.

    "Deze troep doet 4 stronten op die troep."

    Now let me actually translate it for you:

    "Deze troep doet 4 schade op die troep."

    Want to know what I originally had for damage? "Shit". Now this is a blatant error and can easily be caught using a translator.

    But more comically is the word "troep". It actually is the translation of troop, but means more like "a gang" or "a crew". However, it also means "messy" and "dirty", not the kind of word you want to be using. "This mess deals 4 damage to target mess."? This is a small nuance, but really could put off people in playing the game.
    The Gamepedia Hex Wiki is always looking for more editors.
    Just go to any page you want to edit and press edit! If it's missing then you can add it.
    Check the Help Section to get started!
    (Optionally, you can make an account, but that's not even required!)

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Funsocks View Post
    I don't really get why companies aren't willing to crowdsource translations.
    Because you want the translated product to have the same quality, consistency, and polish as the native-language product. With the amount of QA you'd need for crowd-sourced translations, you might as well just do it all.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Funsocks View Post
    Yeah, Cory said they were talking to overseas partners. He also called it "morally" right to support other languages, so I'm gonna guess it will make it in at some point regardless.

    I don't really get why companies aren't willing to crowdsource translations. It's a lot of work, but not for people who both speak the language and are intimately familiar with the game. It can't be that hard to set up an effective way of doing it.
    I think the problem with crowdsourcing translations would be related to trust and quality. By that I mean that the only way you know your brand image isn't being hurt by poor translation or worse intentionally offensive translations would be to check up on it. If you can do that, I don't suppose it's a vastly greater step to just having the people checking the translations, to do the translations in the first place.

  8. #8
    Yes, but the joy of crowdsourcing is you DON'T trust 1 person to do it. You leave it out to many people who speak that language, someone'll correct it. And if they don't, it's digital. Not like it's hard to fix. And the troop distinction Patrigan pointed out is a good reason why crowdsourcing is better. The crowds KNOW what "troop" is supposed to mean in the game, an offsite developer may very well not.

  9. #9
    Sensei of the Wounded Petal
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Redmond, WA
    Posts
    260
    I have done freelance translating English - Chinese and Chinese - English. This is for both written and spoken. I'd be willing to offer my services here if they decide they ever need them.
    Hex TCG Kickstarter Backer - Dungeon Crawler and Collector
    http://raptr.com/badge/larryhl/fs_overall.png

  10. #10
    I'd happily help translate to... well... nothing.

    Sadly, with all 6 foreign languages I've learned, no one around me speaks them and I now know how to count and maybe say hello.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •