Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Digital medium and set rotation

Digital medium and set rotation

I understand there is a block format and a release timetable of 4 months. What I have not seen is an indication of what happens when a set rotates out. Will the sets go "out of print" or will you always be able to go back and buy "retired" packs for your PVE raids and everything format? Eternal availability is impractical with physical cards, but very feasible in the 4th dimension of HEX

We don't know. They would probably stop selling the sets because it would encourage people to buy the new set once they start rotating out. Also if they want to add value to collectors and card collections then they would need to stop selling a set once it rotated out.

But we don't have an official word on it.

Gigantisaur
    They have said they will listen to the community, but latest indications (from off comments in Twitch, etc) are that sets WILL go out of print. Most likely they will sell only the current and previous block, so Set 1 would rotate out of sale in two years.

For the viability of a secondary market and collector appeal, sets should definitely rotate out. Otherwise you end up with an endless supply of cards, making old sets less valuable as time goes on, rather than more.
    ---
    B.M.R.
    The Last of the Dragon Lords (+Pro)

Master Theorycrafter
    I hope they don't stop selling boosters. There's no loss to Crypto by selling old boosters; there won't be much demand for them, but then, it's not like they're actually using significant resources to sell them.

I know with MTGO you can do drafts of old sets, and it's great. It's far less common than current-drafts, but it can be fun to switch things up. Plus you can get some cards that you might not have been around for.

Apparently all cards will be useable in PvE, regardless of set. And I believe they said in an update that they were planning a two year block rotation for PvP at the moment.

This is just speculation, but...
    I think if they want cards to maintain or appreciate in value, they would have to stop selling out-of-print boosters. Maybe something like "Alright guys, Block 1 is over. There will be X packs remaining in the store, and once those are sold out, they're gone FOR GOOD!"

They might release PvE-only reprints of old sets if the game popularity explodes, but I doubt that. It would be easier to reprint it in a new PvP set.

I sincerely hope sets rotate out and stop being printed. It creates more value in the cards over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrfang View Post
    This is just speculation, but...
    I think if they want cards to maintain or appreciate in value, they would have to stop selling out-of-print boosters. Maybe something like "Alright guys, Block 1 is over. There will be X packs remaining in the store, and once those are sold out, they're gone FOR GOOD!"

They might release PvE-only reprints of old sets if the game popularity explodes, but I doubt that. It would be easier to reprint it in a new PvP set.
    I think a good way to combat this problem would be to do editions of each set. Like the first run of block 1 is 1st edition, and then when set 2 comes out, any set 1 boosters bought from the store are 2nd edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Trothael View Post
    I think a good way to combat this problem would be to do editions of each set. Like the first run of block 1 is 1st edition, and then when set 2 comes out, any set 1 boosters bought from the store are 2nd edition.
    Or just maybe a vintage edition and an unlimited edition.

Master Theorycrafter
    Do they care about the secondary market though? This isn't Wizards with a physical product and external retailers that they have an obligation to.