Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: We need webcam/VoIP integration!

  1. #1

    We need webcam/VoIP integration!

    Well, 'need' is probably a bit strong.

    But imagine built-in webcam support, so you swap out your champ with your webcam stream and are able to easily chat across the 'table'. This would also be an amazing enabling step to trading 'tables', raiding, etc. It's not something other MMOs can really do, given their nature, but with the 'tabletop' idea, it may really work.

  2. #2
    Given the preponderance of webcams pointed directly towards unclothed male pubises, I think I will pass. Plus I like playing in my underpants and don't want to be paranoid if my webcam is on.

  3. #3
    Gigantisaur
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Paris, FRANCE
    Posts
    1,225
    I DON'T want/care for/need webcam/VoIP.

    ~

  4. #4
    Master Theorycrafter
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    591
    I don't think a webcam would be a good idea, but I do think a VoIP service integrated into a function like group trading or such as discussed in this thread http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=25130 would be beneficial.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by GreyGriffin View Post
    Given the preponderance of webcams pointed directly towards unclothed male pubises, I think I will pass. Plus I like playing in my underpants and don't want to be paranoid if my webcam is on.
    This is something that can be managed though - you're in a community where everyone has digital goods 'on the line', and it may well be entirely optional.

    The experience I'm trying to capture is walking into a busy room that's bustling with energy - raid channels and bargaining. If it's built-in, it can know about which chat rooms, etc. you've entered.

  6. #6
    Master Theorycrafter
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Oregon, USA
    Posts
    503
    Most games that I have played with built-in voice communication has completely sucked and has been more annoying then it has been useful.

    I have a Vent server for me and my friends. It costs me like $2 a month.

  7. #7
    Master Theorycrafter
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    591
    Quote Originally Posted by Bossett View Post
    This is something that can be managed though - you're in a community where everyone has digital goods 'on the line', and it may well be entirely optional.

    The experience I'm trying to capture is walking into a busy room that's bustling with energy - raid channels and bargaining. If it's built-in, it can know about which chat rooms, etc. you've entered.
    The only issue with webcam setups, is your setting another interface and avenue that is difficult to monitor. It won't be just adults playing this game, and sadly, people tend to get out of hand with webcams, as chat roulette has shown. I know we're progressing into a digital age where webcams are becoming a norm in streaming and etc, but i'm not sure webcam's should be something brought into a fledgling game. An argument can be made for VoIP in the form of trading tables and such, we start stretching it with webcams.

  8. #8
    Master Theorycrafter
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    591
    Quote Originally Posted by Punk View Post
    Most games that I have played with built-in voice communication has completely sucked and has been more annoying then it has been useful.

    I have a Vent server for me and my friends. It costs me like $2 a month.
    I do the same for my own friends, but sharing that information with other users for trading can be a pain, and not something easily done with some players. I think providing a trading table VoIP service can be beneficial outside of social groups. Anyone who has used MTGO has experience with what trading entails there.

  9. #9
    I do think that if VoIP happens, webcam capability should go in too - if only to make watching high-level tournaments much more fun (think twitch.tv), while introducing a measure of control so people can't screen watch the other guy.

  10. #10
    webcams seem like they would be a great idea but its not secure and anyone could be showing anything

    if you want to full immersion play with a tinychat window open and invite the person you are playing with

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •